words with friends

{ vintage button-down; Gap Always Skinny jeans ; R&J Couture bag via Hautelook}

When I was little, I carried a small Merriam-Webster dictionary around in my backpack. I kept another one sandwiched between my Goosebumps and Babysitters Club collections on the bookcase in my bedroom. I hated not knowing the meaning of a word; any time I heard something unfamiliar on television or stumbled over a new word in a book, I turned to the closest dictionary and searched until I found satisfaction in the definition.

Unbeknownst to most of the adults in my life, I also looked up the words I overheard in their “not-for-little-ears” conversations, so I had a pretty, uh, mature vocabulary for an eight-year-old.

While my friends filled their afternoons with sports and video games, I devoured library books in quiet corners and penned dozens of poems and short stories in Lisa Frank composition notebooks. I wanted to be a novelist; a journalist; or any other “-ist” that manipulated words into stories people wanted to read.

Now it’s 20 years later, and I’m a bloggist. Er, blogger.

I don’t know if I say this enough, but thank you for reading. In some small way, you’re part of a dream; imagined by a tiny precocious third grader with feathered bangs and a neon pencil box at-the-ready, filled with Bubbalicious, Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers, scented and sharpened #2s, and unicorn erasers.

* These days I keep a link to dictionary.com in my bookmarks bar. Some things never change.

21 thoughts on “words with friends

1. Irene Perelli says:

Nice post, I love babysitters club too and back then it was such a treat to get one (living in Indonesia, english books are expensive)! I think I can’t live without books or kindle or wordpress… Just need to read something everyday

2. clairemarie97 says:

Thank you for posting this! I am the same way about words, and your post helped me realize that even if I don’t become some sort of word manipulating “-ist,” I can always blog! Thanks again.

3. zzdia says:

I love books and dictionaries too! I had a mini dictionary in grade school, but near the end of it, I grabbed my mother’s college dictionary and made it mine. It was literally the book always within arm’s reach from my bed. I always double-checked that a word meant what I thought it meant before I used it. (I also had this habit of reading the whole two-page spread of a dictionary whenever I looked up a word. I found it fun). I start work at a newspaper next week. :D

4. sydney says:

LOVE this. Such a great post. This is great! I was a little bookavore too! Such a great observation that those of who loved words became bloggers.

5. Serves4 says:

I SOOO wanted to be a wordsmith. Words always have been my comfort, my joy. Now I’ve added cooking. But words still are and always will be my first love.

6. Heather Barnes says:

I loved this post. It sounds a lot like me as a kid. I used to pretend I was taking notes in class, but instead I was writing stories. And today, I blog. Life’s kinda funny like that.

7. Heidi says:

This is awesome, Keira. I’m so glad you’re fulfilling a dream by writing this and that it’s such a big hit! You’re creative, witty and an inspiration. Go girl!

8. Belette Optimiste says:

I totally understand! When I was young, I dreamed to be a journalist as well, or a famous writer… Being a blogger helps me get closer to this dream; who knows what tomorrow has in store, for all of us who share that same dream!?

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s