>Betty Jean: My Style Icon

Scan 41
Scan 31
Scan 25
Scan 21
Scan 1b
Scan 2-2

Apparently, my love of classic style is coded in my DNA. This gorgeous young lady is my grandmother, Betty Jean. Or as I knew her, Nan. She passed away yesterday, and I lost a little piece of my heart forever.
My family wanted to put together a tribute video of photos to play at her memorial service on Friday, and I jumped on the opportunity to spend some quiet time of reflection working on the project. I’ve spent the last two days going through family photographs. I laughed at some (Jeffrey), smiled at many that brought back sweet memories, and cried a few tears. I wondered who some folks were, especially in the older photographs, but I always asked Nan… so I guess some of them will always be a mystery now. All in all, it’s been incredibly therapeutic.  You can view the video here.

I’d never taken the time to look at these old photos before, some dating back to the 1940’s. They’ve been right under my nose, stored in photo boxes in my home office. Finding these photos of my Nan in her youth made me feel more connected to her somehow. It made me wonder about her life before she was my Nan: her stories of love and heartbreak, her young adventures, her successes and defeats. I wish I’d asked her more about herself as a young lady, but I guess I just always assumed she was born a gray-haired grandmother and didn’t have a life before I came around ;)

I love you, Nan. You were the sunshine of my life; my rock in a world that was often unsteady and unpredictable. You taught me more than you’ll ever know, and helped shape me into the woman I am today. I’m glad that I inherited your style, and I hope the cooking genes start kicking in full-force soon (so does Chad).

I can’t imagine a life without you in it, and we all miss you already.

• Cindy 07/18/2010 at 3:17 am

>Keira, I am so sorry about your lovely Nan. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know we are strangers, but if you ever need a friend… we are always here. :)

• Jamie 07/15/2010 at 9:54 pm

>so sorry about your loss keira – i know exactly how it feels. but you never expect life to be grandparentless.. – i called my grandmother nan too. to answer your question we did get a new dog! Went to the SPCA for feal medicine and came out +1. they are great together :) it's really cool.loving the new blog look :) you're doing great!

• Anonymous 07/15/2010 at 9:06 pm

>What a lovely and loving gift you have given the family, Keira! Thanks to you and Stacey for all the work, thought and love put into this tribute to Nan. Love, AC

• Elle Sees 07/15/2010 at 1:41 pm

>Sweet prayers for you and your family. My heart is my great-grandmother, Sugar. She's 94 and has seen it all.

• gee 07/15/2010 at 2:18 am

>i am so sorry for your lost. she was beautiful & these pictures are wonderful. thank you for sharing! xoxo

• missymuppet 07/15/2010 at 1:49 am

>That was a great video Keira, thank you for that.

• daisymay aka Chantele 07/15/2010 at 1:12 am

>Sorry for you loss, but these are beautiful pictures, she was stunning and stylish!Daisy Dayz Home

• gen 07/15/2010 at 12:56 am

>I'm sorry to hear about your Nan. I enjoyed watching the video tribute and this post is beautiful.