>We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

12/26/2010 21 Comments

>We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

12/26/2010 21 Comments

Christmas really snuck up on me this year! I didn’t have much time to get in the holiday spirit [we didn’t even put up a tree, for shame] and it’s hard to believe it’s come and gone already. We had a great weekend spending time with family from near and far, honoring old traditions and making new ones, and eating until utter failure
C surprised me with his best Christmas present yet — well, since my engagement ring on the eve of Christmas Eve five years ago.
We agreed not to buy each other gifts this year since we’re focusing on saving money and putting any extra resources into the business. After a long day at the flower shop on Thursday, we went out for a late bite to eat. As I nodded off into my lobster mac and cheese, I made him promise one final time that he didn’t buy me anything. On Christmas morning, he woke me up with a pretty red velvet box that held a beautiful, delicate strand of vintage pearls. He told me that he didn’t break his promise… they were his grandmother’s, and were passed down to his mom and now to me. It was the sweetest, most thoughtful gift I can imagine, and I’m honored to be entrusted with such a special family heirloom.
The only thing missing this Christmas was my Nan, who passed away over the summer. She was the matriarch of our family and the creator of our traditions, the baker of our sweet treats and the light of all of our lives. She spent every holiday in the kitchen with my Aunt Cindy making the most amazing meals for the family, and Aunt Cindy gave me one of Nan’s aprons that she saved for me at dinner last night. It was so special to me, and I hope some of Nan’s cooking magic rubs off in my kitchen when I wear it.
I hope you all had a blessed holiday with your loved ones!

• rachelinaustin 01/06/2011 at 2:41 pm

>The pearls are gorgeous. What an amazing gift!<3

• Katie 12/29/2010 at 12:59 am

>Aww! Such a sweet gift… way better than anything he could have bought. I love that. :)

• Kelly 12/28/2010 at 11:03 pm

>What a sweet and touching gift!

• Mrs. Marcus 12/28/2010 at 6:23 pm

>What a beautiful heirloom! My MIL gave me (one of) her mother's pearl necklaces for my wedding, and I was honored as well. Sorry about your Nan. It kind of gets easier, but we still miss my grandpa, especially around Christmas. Meow & Mwah

• Dylana Suarez 12/27/2010 at 11:15 pm

>Looks like such a lovely time!xoxo,colormenana.blogspot.com

• archives 12/27/2010 at 10:20 pm

>oh my gosh!!! what a SWEET sweet gift! looks like you had a wonderful, happy holiday! :D

• SWF_Terra 12/27/2010 at 9:11 pm

>Oh my goodness Keira. What a fantastic gift! My heart is swelling. Holidays without loved ones is always difficult. I hope you and your family were able to share some of your Nan's most memorable moments with each other. That's always what brings smiles to our faces when we're missing my grandpa. xo

• Colleen 12/27/2010 at 8:39 pm

>I love these photos. The decorations are captured so beautifully.That is an amazing surprise. Too bad my family doesn't have anything we pass down. Sorry about your Nan. My grandma passed this summer and she was the cook, the baker, the person who said you didn't eat enough if you couldn't eat for 2 straight hours. I wish I had one of my gram's aprons. We always had aprons when we visited as kids. We didn't have one designated for us. We just wore one of her many. Man do I wish we had those now.

• Melissa 12/27/2010 at 7:34 pm

>It sounds like you had a wonderfully special Christmas this year, with two meaningful gifts!

• Kayley 12/27/2010 at 3:44 pm

>That is probably the best "non gift" gift ever. Those pearls are lovely! I especially like how they grow in size towards the middle. Makes them unique. Merry Christmas … You look so cute and cozy in your turtle neck. :)

• monster cakes 12/27/2010 at 2:09 pm

>Those pearls are beautiful! What a thoughtful gift. And I love how many stockings there are! haha I love a full house on Christmas. It's the best. xo

• Cassandra 12/27/2010 at 5:10 am

>What a wonderful Christmas!Those pearls are so gorgeous! And the fact that they are an heirloom makes them so much more special. I can't wait to see you wear them! I bet you will look so sophisticated.

• Virginie's Cinema 12/27/2010 at 5:07 am

>Sounds like a perfectly magical Christmas! Such a lovely gift and great memories of your Nan.

• Marie a la Mode 12/27/2010 at 4:56 am

>How sweet of your husband! I think your Nan was there in spirit, watching over her family this Christmas : )

• Amy Fashion Blog 12/27/2010 at 2:57 am

>What a great Gift to get. Happy Holidays.http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Kristen 12/27/2010 at 2:44 am

>What a thoughtful husband! Those pearls are absolutely stunning. Loved hearing about your Christmas. So glad you guys had a nice holiday. PS – the photo of you & Santa is too cute!

• Fabienne Jach 12/26/2010 at 10:17 pm

>A perfect Christmas sentiment captured! What a beautiful gift.

• From Suns To Moons 12/26/2010 at 9:23 pm

>What a beautiful holiday story! Can't wait to see you pose with those pearls.

• genevieve, sandbox romance 12/26/2010 at 6:39 pm

>"Eating until utter failure". Here, here! Your story about the pearls was utterly, utterly sweet. That's so thoughtful (and they're beautiful)! I'm sorry that your Nan wasn't with you for the holiday. I feel as though the first time without someone is always the most difficult. It's wonderful that you have something to remember her by when you're cooking, though. Merry Christmas!!

• Kayla 12/26/2010 at 6:15 pm

>Sounds like a great Christmas. The pearls are not only gorgeous but the sweetest sentiment. I have my guy's great Grandma's engagement ring and it scares me everyday to wear it. But at the same time makes me love his family so much more for accepting me like that, hope you get good wear out of those classic pearls! Ramblings of a Small Town Girl Small Town Ramblings Tumblr

• Elissa 12/26/2010 at 5:46 pm

>Those pearls are absolutely gorgeous. What a thoughtful, loving gift.I'm sorry about the passing of your Nan. Getting through the holidays can so difficult when you're missing a loved one. I'm glad you were able to spend Christmas with your family, and make new memories.http://dresswithcourage-elissa.blogspot.com/