>Project ReStyle: Easy No-Sew T-Shirt Necklace

BeforeAfter
I’m kind of ridiculously excited about this Project ReStyle challenge, and I’m really looking forward to learning some new crafting skills throughout the year. For my first ReStyle, I started with something really simple. I love the color of this boyfriend tee from Target, but it has a small stain on the front which renders it unwearable. Using this video tutorial from Threadbanger as inspiration, I transformed it into a necklace.
Read more after the jump to find out how to make your own!

Step1

All you need is an unwanted cotton t-shirt, a pair of sharp scissors, and about half an hour.

Lay the shirt on a flat surface and smooth it out with your hands. Start by cutting off and discarding the hem.

Step2

Beginning at the bottom of the shirt and working your way up, cut 1-inch strips to make loops. Vary the width of your strips based on your desired necklace thickness. I wanted a lot of tubes, so I kept my strips small. You can also cut a variety of sizes for one necklace if you want a less-uniform texture.

Step3

Stretch out the loops you just made so the cotton curls in on itself and forms long tubes.
Double up each tube, matching up the seams at one end.

Step4

If you break a loop at the seam while you’re stretching it out, just tie it back together with a simple knot and trim the excess. {This really is a fool-proof project}

Step5

Group all of your tubes by size, keeping the seams together at one end.

I used a women’s tee, so the tapered fit resulted in a great variation of tube sizes. If you’re using a men’s tee, you can cut the tubes into various sizes and tie them back together as shown above.

Gather them all together, with the longest tubes on the bottom and the shortest on the top, but save one!

Step6

Cut the tube you saved in half to make it a long string. Tie the string in a knot near one end of the section of seams. Tightly wrap the string around all of the seams to cover them. Be careful not to get the tubes twisted or tangled as you’re wrapping.

When everything is smooth and covered, tie off the other end of the string in a knot (using one of the necklace loops if you need to).

That’s it!

1 down, 51 to go…

1. Timothy wrote:

So, there is nothing compared to back problems. Repeated movements may be enticed to acquire lower back.

Posted 11.3.15 Reply
  2. Britt wrote:

So when you put your sneak a peek at this site back.
    Nobody should have been removed. A nutmeg should
    be the cause behind the knees and place it at any given time.

Posted 11.3.15 Reply
  3. It’s amazing designed for me to have a site, which is helpful in favor of my experience.
    thanks admin

Posted 9.3.15 Reply
  4. Reblogged this on sugarbaby56.

Posted 5.3.15 Reply
  5. No! Don’t throw away the hem! They make adorable rolled fabric flowers. You should try it. :)

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  6. منتدي wrote:

Fastidious answer back in return of this question with
    solid arguments and explaining all on the topic of that.

Posted 10.4.14 Reply
  7. What i do not understood is actually how you’re now nott actually much more well-favored
    tthan you might be right now. You arre so intelligent.
    You already know thus significantly when it comes to
    this topic, made me in my opinion beliedve it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Itts like women and men don’t seem to be invoved except it is something to do with Womzn gaga!
    Your individual stuffs nice. At all times maintain it up!

Posted 9.5.14 Reply
  8. gabikam wrote:

I love it!!!

Posted 4.27.14 Reply
  9. adafinone wrote:

Reblogged this on Abby's Fashion and commented:
    Wonderful idea

Posted 3.19.14 Reply
  10. aperfectlook wrote:

Reblogged this on Image Consultant Norfolk and commented:
    Saw this and thought wow! That’s cool :-) so thought you might like it too!

Posted 2.12.14 Reply
  11. Luce wrote:

Thank you for the idea. It’s so nice to see something new made with old stuff !!

Posted 11.18.13 Reply
  12. perfect-angel wrote:

Does the t shirt have to 100% cotton. Or can it be a mixed fabric?

Posted 11.6.13 Reply
  13. Note wrote:

Note: this is best with a t-shirt that only has one seam. Then you can match the one seam at the top. If you have two seams then one will always been seen.

Posted 7.20.13 Reply
  14. ! wrote:

trying this as soon as I find an old tshirt!

Posted 2.27.13 Reply
  15. What?! You are so talented! Haha. This non-DIY girl is so impressed! ;)

with grace & gumption, Hilary

Posted 1.2.13 Reply
  16. Karen wrote:

Fantastic idea………

Posted 8.31.12 Reply
  17. Gwen wrote:

love it and just made it but it’s kinda thin! I wonder if it’d be better if I used another t-shirt.

Posted 8.26.12 Reply
    • Hi Gwen! Glad you gave it a go! You can definitely use a couple of shirts in one necklace to beef it up a bit, or try cutting the strips a little wider.

Posted 8.27.12 Reply
  18. Did your shirt have side seams in both sides? If yes, what did you do , so you didnt have the ugly seam in the bottom of every string vissible (not in the neck where you cover)?

Posted 3.10.12 Reply
  19. Me wrote:

Love it. Fun and easy!

Posted 3.3.12 Reply
  20. WOW! The choice of colour of the tee shirt is also great!

Posted 3.3.12 Reply
  21. Stacy wrote:

Thanks! I will try that!

Posted 2.27.12 Reply
  22. Stacy wrote:

I did this & it was so easy and is really cute!! I have a question though: mine is shedding. How did u stop it from doing that? Thanks so much for taking the time to share this idea!! I have gotten so many complements!

Posted 2.27.12 Reply
    • Hmm… I honestly haven’t worn mine enough to have this problem! But there’s a product at most craft stores called “no fray” and it comes in a spray form. You could try spraying your t-shirt necklace with that to protect the edges! :)

Posted 2.27.12 Reply
  23. Laura wrote:

This is super cute…I can’t believe I am the only one having problems trying to mimic this though. My t-shirt strips aren’t rolling into tubes! Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
    • Hi Laura! Are you using a 100% cotton tee? If you are, just pull the strips carefully and they should roll right up! ;)

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
      • Laura wrote:

Yep 100% cotton…still no rolling…hmm…

Posted 2.21.12 Reply
  24. nan wrote:

wow! this is a great project! thanks so much for sharing instructions.

Posted 2.3.12 Reply
  25. Robin wrote:

I made the t-shirt necklace last night for a birthday present. I found a really soft t-shirt that I thought would be perfect for this project – not so much. It pilled little purple balls of material ALL over me, my floor, work surface, etc. Since the party is tonight, I got up at 4am, grabbed an old tshirt (regular kind this time), and it turned out GREAT! Thanks for sharing the idea and instructions.

Posted 2.3.12 Reply
  26. What an awesome idea! Love this blog – some really great tips and tricks for reusing your wardrobe, a girl after my own heart! Will definitely keep reading for more ideas!

Posted 1.30.12 Reply
  27. Brenda wrote:

A lady at church shared Pinterest with us and then a couple of the ladies at church had the T shirt necklaces after Christmas. I decided to make one for my daughter for her birthday. I had a hard time logging on to the right thing on Pinterest but found your blog and went to it. Thanks for the great instructions. I hope mine turns out as well. I am making red since that is my daughter’s favorite color and she wears a lot of red and black. I may make a black one also if the red turns out well.

Posted 1.26.12 Reply
  28. tmmclea wrote:

Just made my own! Loved the outcome. I added large craft beads to a few strands just to jazz it up a bit. Thanks for the instructions and inspiration!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  29. Erika wrote:

Amazing! I can’t wait to turn the old t’s in my closet into something cute and wearable!

Posted 10.12.11 Reply
  30. Jennifer wrote:

Just made one out of an old green tee while 4 girls ran around our house for a play date. I had 7 yr old and 4 yr old helpers and it still turned out great! Thanks for the idea!

Posted 10.1.11 Reply
  31. Tracie wrote:

Just made mine, and I love it! Thanks!

Posted 9.24.11 Reply
  32. Kerri wrote:

Really great idea. Love it and can’t wait to get out my scissors!

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  33. Kristilyn wrote:

I love this! I made one today and it’s beautiful … made me go through bags and bags of clothing that I’ve yet to donate anywhere and pull out everything in semi-okay condition, just so I can make more. Thanks!

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  34. Megan wrote:

Oh my gosh, this just happened to my white version of this tee! I accidentally hung it on a wire hanger and it got rust stains in the shoulders! I’m going to have to do this with it!

Posted 9.13.11 Reply
  35. Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean by “double up each tube”? Does this design make the seams opposite the seam in the back right smack dab in the middle of the necklace, or am I not following correctly?

Posted 8.30.11 Reply
  36. Made two, one for me and one for my daughter. We did it together, it was a great project for that! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Posted 8.9.11 Reply
  37. Totally fun!!

Posted 7.15.11 Reply
  38. Made one for myself and one for my daughter today!

Posted 6.13.11 Reply
  39. Sam wrote:

I pinned this on my pinterest and just made an awesome grey one! Thanks for the tutorial!

Posted 6.7.11 Reply
  40. >i am seriously in awe of this and, for some reason, do not believe that I could make anything as close to fantastic as this is. Have you worn it yet? I would love to see it in action!

41. >I MUST MAKE THIS! You are so brilliant!http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

42. Anaelena wrote:

>I think this project is great, and the chosen color of the shirt too. I have written about it today in my little blog and I wanted to thank you.http://hellobetterday.blogspot.com/

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  43. >lovelovelove! Yesterday I took an old purse in a fabulous shade of red and made some sassy earrings with a matching cuff bracelet for tonight's outfit and now I'll have a necklace to add. Thanks oodles and oodles, xoxox one creative mamahttp://makedoseebe.blogspot.com/

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  44. >Absolutely love this idea! This morning's job: to look for a stained tshirt– I might just have to have an "accident" during bfast just to justify cutting up a shirt! ;-)

45. Mj wrote:

>AWESOME! I can't wait to try this. Did you come up with this yourself? If so, it's just plain brilliant. Can't wait to check out your other restyles!!

46. Jen wrote:

>This is amazing!!! I think I might have just donated a shirt that would be perfect for this. Oh no!

47. Linda wrote:

>I woke up needing something yellow for the Super Bowl today and immediately thought our your restyle. Unfortunately, I then remember that I had donated the yellow shirt that I wanted to use for it when I cleaned out my closet over the holidays. Bummer. I hope I can use this idea sometime in the future, though.

48. Melody wrote:

>This is awesome! I am definitely going to try it.. thanks for sharing!

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  49. >I love these, I recently made one out of a tie die t-shirt it can out greatDaisy Dayz HomeCross-Jones-Photography Home

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  50. >How do you keep the seams from showing? I tried this and the seams are really unattractive. Did I do something wrong?

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  51. >How do you keep the seams from showing? I tried this and the seams are really unattractive. Did I do something wrong?

52. macy dawn wrote:

>Also brilliant…

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  53. >I tried this today! Love it!

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  54. >this project is great. my 12 year old sister made me and my two other sisters these for christmas. Obviously it is as easy as it is fun. thanks for the tutorial!

55. SHORTYLULU wrote:

>SCREAMING LOVE IT

56. SHORTYLULU wrote:

>SCREAMING LOVE IT

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  57. >Thanks for the great tutorial, Kiera! I made it and love it! http://snappycasual.tumblr.com/post/3645415676/t-shirt-necklace

58. LinZ wrote:

>This looks super easy and super cute, I think I might try it! Thanks for the tutorial!

Posted 5.17.11 Reply
  59. >AWESOME. I will be doing this soon!!

Posted 4.26.11 Reply
  60. Amandine wrote:

>Thanks so much for publishing this. Mine turned out great and I even made a cute headband out of the extras.

Posted 1.16.11 Reply
  61. Toni wrote:

>Wow, I never would have thought of this. I have so many t-shirst I could do this with! Thank you for the great tute!

Posted 1.12.11 Reply
  62. >LOVE it. I am going to have to try that!

Posted 1.12.11 Reply
  63. krust wrote:

>This turned out really great! I love the color you chose too!

Posted 1.12.11 Reply
  64. andie wrote:

>Love the tip, made my own out of a t-shirt I've been thinking about tossing! http://nomapisasubstitute.blogspot.com/

Posted 1.11.11 Reply
  65. >I love this idea/ I've linked to it on my blog. travelbunny.blogspot.com

Posted 1.11.11 Reply
  66. violette wrote:

>Very pretty necklace! Great idea, I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing :)http://roseetviolette.blogspot.com

Posted 1.11.11 Reply
  67. kelsey wrote:

>i love this! can't wait to try.

Posted 1.11.11 Reply
  68. >I love this idea! I am definitely going to try this!

Posted 1.10.11 Reply
  69. Kayla wrote:

>very fun and very easy! I made several…http://thebestisyettocome-kayla.blogspot.com/2011/01/fabric-of-our-lives.html…and shared with my sisters. :) I'm a big fan of re-inventing tshirts. such a comfy statement necklace.

Posted 1.9.11 Reply
  70. Esther wrote:

>Oh, how great is that?! And easy enough for me to do it ;-)). I'm gonna make one tonight! Regards Es

Posted 1.8.11 Reply
  71. Monica wrote:

>Hi from Brazil!I have just read this tutorial .It is awesome! In a few seconds I grabbed a tee I have in the drawer and I will give it a try. Thanks for this wonderfull tutorial.

Posted 1.7.11 Reply
  72. reeve wrote:

>LOVE this…such a great idea. Although now I want to go find a green t-shirt, buy it, and then cut it up. Not really the point;)

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  73. Anonymous wrote:

>Hum, I ever seen this do it here/ http://virginiepeny.com/soft-or-dark-jersey/

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  74. kate wrote:

>So awesome! I love love love that green!

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  75. Carolina wrote:

>Purdy!

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  76. Missy wrote:

>THank you for the IDea! I think I will make one for myself. Peacemissyhttp://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  77. rosemaryx wrote:

>love it. so chic and simple. i'm going to have to do a similar project for sure! thanks for sharing!

Posted 1.6.11 Reply
  78. Colleen wrote:

>I love this idea. I love what you did. I don't think I could come up with 52 things. Is that what it is… 52 things in 1 year?

Posted 1.5.11 Reply
  79. Cassandra wrote:

>Hello again! :) I just wanted to let you know I used your tutorial to make not one but two of these beautiful statement pieces. One, I kept for myself and the other I'm giving away to a reader. Just wanted to let you know and say thanks!

Posted 1.5.11 Reply
  80. Molly wrote:

>Love. It. I'm TOTALLY making one. Thank you so much for the link. I've saw a necklace like this a few months ago but I couldn't figure out how to make it!! WEoooo Hooo!!!Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

Posted 1.4.11 Reply
  81. KT wrote:

>Srsly! I need to try this pronto. I've got a couple t-shirts I don't wear anymore and this is the perfect solution. – Katy

Posted 1.4.11 Reply
  82. Lula wrote:

>Oh my gosh girl I LOVE your blog and this is brilliant. New follower!kisslula

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  83. >This is so cool! I definitely have shirts like this with stains or they just fit weird, so I will definitely have to try this!

84. Sarah Beth wrote:

>that color really is superb! Can't wait to see this necklace styled in a whole outfit :)

85. WobiSobi wrote:

>So awesome, I love it!!!

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  86. >Hey Lady!! I just came across your blog from Collette's blog and I am in LOVE!! I LOVE to do projects like this but never think them up on my own! I am DEF going to be doing this one! I want to do a bright color like this too!!I will have to go check out the link too!Happy New Year to you!XXEveryone Loves Lipstick Style Blog

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  87. >I have a few tee shirts that need new lives- thanks for this awesome idea! I LOVE the color of the tee you used and I'm glad you decided to restyle it, because I just know that color compliments your skin and hair! Cant' wait to see how you style it. :)

88. Corie wrote:

>aaahhh I like this. Very creative.

89. aki! wrote:

>I know you said it was fool-proof, but that actually looks really really hard. Haha. I know I have more than enough old t-shirts though. I'll have to try this. I love the idea of using that material for a necklace.

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  90. >This is lovely! I'd love to feature it on Bubby and Bean!

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  91. >Super Cute and What a great way to use an old t-shirt.http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

92. Sara C wrote:

>Wow, really cute and easy! And I love that color green, especially when its so dreary this time of year :)

Posted 1.3.11 Reply
  93. >Great how to. I will definitely try this out. That is if I can find a shirt that needs a new life.No Guilt Fashion

94. shealennon wrote:

>Oooh, I love this! I'm doing this right away, as soon as I find an unwanted tee!!

95. Meryn wrote:

>So great! i just reposted this on my blog of things I'm loving this week. Cant wait to try this and post my results. Have an old vibrant tee that could use a second chance at life :)

96. Jess wrote:

>Wow! How awesome and easy is that?! I will be trying this, hopefully next weekend. Thanks for the tutorial!

97. kimmie wrote:

>Wow, that looks really cool! Can't wait to see how you style it.And aren't stains the WORST?! I hate them.

98. silvergirl wrote:

>That is super cool!I think I have found a project for the weekCan't wait to try this

99. Cassandra wrote:

>How cool! I think I may have a t-shirt sitting in my closet that is too small now and the perfect candidate for this sort of re-style. ;)

Posted 1.2.11 Reply
  100. >Very cool! I would love to see a picture of you wearing it!

Posted 1.2.11 Reply
  101. >This is GENIUS! I can't wait to do this.

102. Ashley J wrote:

>Wow, this does look super easy. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 1.2.11 Reply
  103. >This looks pretty doable and certainly very pretty.

104. inday_adin wrote:

>This is so great! Thank you so much for sharing. I have a shirt that I still like, but have a little bit of stain and I can turn it into a necklace like this. :) Thanks a bunch!Adin B

105. marcella wrote:

>wow, interesting :)nice work http://urbanprettygirl.blogspot.com/and a happy new year

106. Linda W wrote:

>Great idea and something so easy that even I might be able to try. Now, let's see it on you!The Auspicious Life

107. Lauren wrote:

>what a neat idea!I can't wait to see your other challenges!! Also, I was thinking it'd be neat to string some sparkly beads on various places of the necklace to add a little bling. :)

108. Katie W... wrote:

>I can already tell I'm going to love this project! Can't wait to see you wear this!

109. Cassidy wrote:

>Wow Keira, this is really cool! I never repurpose clothing items, but it a really great idea! I'm going to have to look into that Project Resytle!

110. Laura wrote:

>ummm that is amazeballs! love it!

111. Iris wrote:

>That fantastic! I look forward to seeing how you style it :)

112. Nancy wrote:

>AMAZING Restyle! I love it! This is such a unique way to reuse an old t-shirt. Thank you for the post!

Posted 1.2.11 Reply
  113. >that's so awesome! Love the end result. Good work. I may just give that a try.

• julesagray wrote:

seriously..this one of the ugliest fucking things I have ever seen. No wonder other countries hate us.

Posted 11.19.12 Reply
      • You just cracked me up. I found your blog and subscribed to updates. Your comments really strike a note with me. Keep them coming.

Posted 7.3.13 Reply
        • julesagray wrote:

why, thank you and thanks for following! I appreciate it!

Posted 7.4.13 Reply
      • MononokeHime wrote:

Yeah…I’m sure that diy fashion is the reason other countries hate us. Oh wait, it’s actually just assholes like you.

Posted 10.15.13 Reply
        • julesagray wrote:

zing.
          twas a joke. it’s called a sense of humor..get one.

Posted 10.16.13 Reply
      • Anonymous wrote:

I love this! Can’t understand why anyone wouldnt love it! About to make one now!! Fantastic idea! Very creative!

Posted 8.25.15 Reply
  114. dotty wrote:

>this is so neat! i'll have to try it now!

115. Mireille wrote:

>Waow! Great… I love it! thanks to share the tip!