accessories, DIY, ReStyle, tutorials
Comments 163

>Project ReStyle: Easy No-Sew T-Shirt Necklace

BeforeAfter
I’m kind of ridiculously excited about this Project ReStyle challenge, and I’m really looking forward to learning some new crafting skills throughout the year. For my first ReStyle, I started with something really simple. I love the color of this boyfriend tee from Target, but it has a small stain on the front which renders it unwearable. Using this video tutorial from Threadbanger as inspiration, I transformed it into a necklace.
Read more after the jump to find out how to make your own!

Step1

All you need is an unwanted cotton t-shirt, a pair of sharp scissors, and about half an hour.

Lay the shirt on a flat surface and smooth it out with your hands. Start by cutting off and discarding the hem.

Step2

Beginning at the bottom of the shirt and working your way up, cut 1-inch strips to make loops. Vary the width of your strips based on your desired necklace thickness. I wanted a lot of tubes, so I kept my strips small. You can also cut a variety of sizes for one necklace if you want a less-uniform texture.

Step3

Stretch out the loops you just made so the cotton curls in on itself and forms long tubes.
Double up each tube, matching up the seams at one end.

Step4

If you break a loop at the seam while you’re stretching it out, just tie it back together with a simple knot and trim the excess. {This really is a fool-proof project}

Step5

Group all of your tubes by size, keeping the seams together at one end.

I used a women’s tee, so the tapered fit resulted in a great variation of tube sizes. If you’re using a men’s tee, you can cut the tubes into various sizes and tie them back together as shown above.

Gather them all together, with the longest tubes on the bottom and the shortest on the top, but save one!

Step6

Cut the tube you saved in half to make it a long string. Tie the string in a knot near one end of the section of seams. Tightly wrap the string around all of the seams to cover them. Be careful not to get the tubes twisted or tangled as you’re wrapping.

When everything is smooth and covered, tie off the other end of the string in a knot (using one of the necklace loops if you need to).

That’s it!

1 down, 51 to go…

This entry was posted in: accessories, DIY, ReStyle, tutorials

by

I'm a small town girl from the sunshine state with an affinity for DIY projects, bookstores, and iced tea. I spend my days running my flower shop, and my nights blogging about what I love and what I wear. (Or watching Netflix and drinking wine.)

1. Pingback: 9 Easy-Peasy Ways to Upcycle Old T-shirts - Sun Island Jamaica

2. Pingback: Berikan Kesempatan Pada Kaos Bekasmu Agar Kembali Bermanfaat! Ini 8 Inspirasi Daur Ulangnya

3. So, there is nothing compared to back problems. Repeated movements may be enticed to acquire lower back.

4. So when you put your sneak a peek at this site back.
    Nobody should have been removed. A nutmeg should
    be the cause behind the knees and place it at any given time.

5. Pingback: DIY T-Shirt Necklace {Repurposing Old T-Shirts}

6. Fastidious answer back in return of this question with
    solid arguments and explaining all on the topic of that.

7. Pingback: Top 5 Goodwill Finds You Can Repurpose ~ Krrb Blog

8. What i do not understood is actually how you’re now nott actually much more well-favored
    tthan you might be right now. You arre so intelligent.
    You already know thus significantly when it comes to
    this topic, made me in my opinion beliedve it from a lot of numerous angles.
    Itts like women and men don’t seem to be invoved except it is something to do with Womzn gaga!
    Your individual stuffs nice. At all times maintain it up!

9. Pingback: « Denim road… » | Mimiblogmode

10. Pingback: Fácil Collar de Trapillo sin Costuras | El blog de trapillo.com

11. Thank you for the idea. It’s so nice to see something new made with old stuff !!

12. Pingback: le DIY fringues et accessoires | Tu veux du style ?

13. perfect-angel says

Does the t shirt have to 100% cotton. Or can it be a mixed fabric?

14. Note says

Note: this is best with a t-shirt that only has one seam. Then you can match the one seam at the top. If you have two seams then one will always been seen.

15. Pingback: Comment recycler un vieux tee-shirt

16. Pingback: Not Your Ordinary Lemonade Stand w/o 1/14 | Tips From Town

17. Pingback: Not Your Ordinary Lemonade Stand | Tips From Town

18. Pingback: Creating… a T-Shirt Necklace « Creating… Miranda

19. love it and just made it but it’s kinda thin! I wonder if it’d be better if I used another t-shirt.

• Hi Gwen! Glad you gave it a go! You can definitely use a couple of shirts in one necklace to beef it up a bit, or try cutting the strips a little wider.

20. Pingback: “Refashion” Your Back to School Wardrobe| Blue by Executive Music Co.

21. Pingback: t-shirt & scissors « thefindandthephoenix

22. Pingback: How to make a scarf from a tee shirt or singlet | chasingcait.com

23. Pingback: THANK GOD FOR DIY SPECIAL : UPCYCLE «

24. Pingback: Scattered Links « The Perfect Nose

25. Pingback: Easy weekend project: t-shirt necklace - Style Binge : The Orange County Register

26. Pingback: Pretty Blog by Pretty New – T-shirt Necklace {DIY Fashion Recycled Fashion Project}

27. Pingback: Going “Green” for St. Patty’s Day: 11 Recycled Crafts | FaveCraftsBlog

28. Did your shirt have side seams in both sides? If yes, what did you do , so you didnt have the ugly seam in the bottom of every string vissible (not in the neck where you cover)?

29. Pingback: A DIY necklace | Jackie~of~Trades

30. Stacy says

I did this & it was so easy and is really cute!! I have a question though: mine is shedding. How did u stop it from doing that? Thanks so much for taking the time to share this idea!! I have gotten so many complements!

• Hmm… I honestly haven’t worn mine enough to have this problem! But there’s a product at most craft stores called “no fray” and it comes in a spray form. You could try spraying your t-shirt necklace with that to protect the edges! :)

31. Laura says

This is super cute…I can’t believe I am the only one having problems trying to mimic this though. My t-shirt strips aren’t rolling into tubes! Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

32. Pingback: iMake » A Little Pinspiration

33. nan says

wow! this is a great project! thanks so much for sharing instructions.

34. Robin says

I made the t-shirt necklace last night for a birthday present. I found a really soft t-shirt that I thought would be perfect for this project – not so much. It pilled little purple balls of material ALL over me, my floor, work surface, etc. Since the party is tonight, I got up at 4am, grabbed an old tshirt (regular kind this time), and it turned out GREAT! Thanks for sharing the idea and instructions.

35. Pingback: Reaproveitando a T-Shirt | Blog Nécessaire

36. What an awesome idea! Love this blog – some really great tips and tricks for reusing your wardrobe, a girl after my own heart! Will definitely keep reading for more ideas!

37. Pingback: Rags to Riches: Recycled T-Shirt Tutorials |

38. Pingback: Colar de T-shirt | CONSPIRAÇÃO FEMININA

39. Pingback: A T-shirt Necklace – Have a Go « Little Purple Stocking

40. Brenda says

A lady at church shared Pinterest with us and then a couple of the ladies at church had the T shirt necklaces after Christmas. I decided to make one for my daughter for her birthday. I had a hard time logging on to the right thing on Pinterest but found your blog and went to it. Thanks for the great instructions. I hope mine turns out as well. I am making red since that is my daughter’s favorite color and she wears a lot of red and black. I may make a black one also if the red turns out well.

41. Pingback: Esmalte no Pé » DIY – Fazendo um colar com a camiseta antiga

42. Pingback: 2011: a recap « A Pretty Penny

43. Pingback: » Recyclez un vieux tee-shirt en un collier très mode! 2 Mains Pour Créer

44. Pingback: Project- DIY T-shirt Necklace! (part 1) « Birdview Avenue

45. Just made my own! Loved the outcome. I added large craft beads to a few strands just to jazz it up a bit. Thanks for the instructions and inspiration!

46. Pingback: DIY Scarf « True to Style

47. Erika says

Amazing! I can’t wait to turn the old t’s in my closet into something cute and wearable!

48. Pingback: Domestication

49. Jennifer says

Just made one out of an old green tee while 4 girls ran around our house for a play date. I had 7 yr old and 4 yr old helpers and it still turned out great! Thanks for the idea!

50. Pingback: Fun and Frugal Friday: T-Shirt Necklace

51. Kerri says

Really great idea. Love it and can’t wait to get out my scissors!

52. I love this! I made one today and it’s beautiful … made me go through bags and bags of clothing that I’ve yet to donate anywhere and pull out everything in semi-okay condition, just so I can make more. Thanks!

53. Pingback: The 30+ things I carry in my backpack around the world | Full Course Travel

54. Pingback: T-shirt to Necklace « Do It And How

55. Megan says

Oh my gosh, this just happened to my white version of this tee! I accidentally hung it on a wire hanger and it got rust stains in the shoulders! I’m going to have to do this with it!

56. Anonymous says

What do you mean by “double up each tube”? Does this design make the seams opposite the seam in the back right smack dab in the middle of the necklace, or am I not following correctly?

57. Pingback: If you can’t afford it, DIY it « Treasure Huntress

58. Pingback: Denim Tuxedo, the Summer Edition. « A Pretty Penny

59. Sam says

I pinned this on my pinterest and just made an awesome grey one! Thanks for the tutorial!

60. >i am seriously in awe of this and, for some reason, do not believe that I could make anything as close to fantastic as this is. Have you worn it yet? I would love to see it in action!

61. >lovelovelove! Yesterday I took an old purse in a fabulous shade of red and made some sassy earrings with a matching cuff bracelet for tonight's outfit and now I'll have a necklace to add. Thanks oodles and oodles, xoxox one creative mamahttp://makedoseebe.blogspot.com/

62. >Absolutely love this idea! This morning's job: to look for a stained tshirt– I might just have to have an "accident" during bfast just to justify cutting up a shirt! ;-)

63. >AWESOME! I can't wait to try this. Did you come up with this yourself? If so, it's just plain brilliant. Can't wait to check out your other restyles!!

64. >This is amazing!!! I think I might have just donated a shirt that would be perfect for this. Oh no!

65. >I woke up needing something yellow for the Super Bowl today and immediately thought our your restyle. Unfortunately, I then remember that I had donated the yellow shirt that I wanted to use for it when I cleaned out my closet over the holidays. Bummer. I hope I can use this idea sometime in the future, though.

66. >this project is great. my 12 year old sister made me and my two other sisters these for christmas. Obviously it is as easy as it is fun. thanks for the tutorial!

67. >This looks super easy and super cute, I think I might try it! Thanks for the tutorial!

68. >Thanks so much for publishing this. Mine turned out great and I even made a cute headband out of the extras.

69. >Wow, I never would have thought of this. I have so many t-shirst I could do this with! Thank you for the great tute!

70. >Oh, how great is that?! And easy enough for me to do it ;-)). I'm gonna make one tonight! Regards Es

71. >Hi from Brazil!I have just read this tutorial .It is awesome! In a few seconds I grabbed a tee I have in the drawer and I will give it a try. Thanks for this wonderfull tutorial.

72. >LOVE this…such a great idea. Although now I want to go find a green t-shirt, buy it, and then cut it up. Not really the point;)

73. >THank you for the IDea! I think I will make one for myself. Peacemissyhttp://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

74. >I love this idea. I love what you did. I don't think I could come up with 52 things. Is that what it is… 52 things in 1 year?

75. >Hello again! :) I just wanted to let you know I used your tutorial to make not one but two of these beautiful statement pieces. One, I kept for myself and the other I'm giving away to a reader. Just wanted to let you know and say thanks!

76. >Srsly! I need to try this pronto. I've got a couple t-shirts I don't wear anymore and this is the perfect solution. – Katy

77. >This is so cool! I definitely have shirts like this with stains or they just fit weird, so I will definitely have to try this!

78. >Hey Lady!! I just came across your blog from Collette's blog and I am in LOVE!! I LOVE to do projects like this but never think them up on my own! I am DEF going to be doing this one! I want to do a bright color like this too!!I will have to go check out the link too!Happy New Year to you!XXEveryone Loves Lipstick Style Blog

79. >I have a few tee shirts that need new lives- thanks for this awesome idea! I LOVE the color of the tee you used and I'm glad you decided to restyle it, because I just know that color compliments your skin and hair! Cant' wait to see how you style it. :)

80. >I know you said it was fool-proof, but that actually looks really really hard. Haha. I know I have more than enough old t-shirts though. I'll have to try this. I love the idea of using that material for a necklace.

81. >Wow, really cute and easy! And I love that color green, especially when its so dreary this time of year :)

82. >So great! i just reposted this on my blog of things I'm loving this week. Cant wait to try this and post my results. Have an old vibrant tee that could use a second chance at life :)

83. >Wow! How awesome and easy is that?! I will be trying this, hopefully next weekend. Thanks for the tutorial!

84. >Wow, that looks really cool! Can't wait to see how you style it.And aren't stains the WORST?! I hate them.

85. >How cool! I think I may have a t-shirt sitting in my closet that is too small now and the perfect candidate for this sort of re-style. ;)

86. >This is so great! Thank you so much for sharing. I have a shirt that I still like, but have a little bit of stain and I can turn it into a necklace like this. :) Thanks a bunch!Adin B

87. >what a neat idea!I can't wait to see your other challenges!! Also, I was thinking it'd be neat to string some sparkly beads on various places of the necklace to add a little bling. :)

88. >Wow Keira, this is really cool! I never repurpose clothing items, but it a really great idea! I'm going to have to look into that Project Resytle!

89. >AMAZING Restyle! I love it! This is such a unique way to reuse an old t-shirt. Thank you for the post!

• You just cracked me up. I found your blog and subscribed to updates. Your comments really strike a note with me. Keep them coming.

• MononokeHime says

Yeah…I’m sure that diy fashion is the reason other countries hate us. Oh wait, it’s actually just assholes like you.

• Anonymous says

I love this! Can’t understand why anyone wouldnt love it! About to make one now!! Fantastic idea! Very creative!

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s