>Project ReStyle: Birds of a Feather(duster)

02/23/2011 25 Comments

>Project ReStyle: Birds of a Feather(duster)

02/23/2011 25 Comments

Feathered1
The inspiration for this ReStyle came straight from the pages of this month’s InStyle magazine, in Jenni’s DIY column (by the way, do yourself a favor and add her blog, I Spy DIY, to your blogroll). I bought this feather duster years ago for a costume party and was pretty disappointed to learn afterward that it doesn’t clean worth a hill of beans. I’d forgotten all about it until I came across Jenni’s idea of using its feathers for an easy DIY clutch.
Read more for details!

Feathered2
It’s really pretty simple. All you need is a feather duster, a clutch (I picked this one up at a thrift store for $3) and a hot glue gun.
Start by cutting off the feathers as close to the base as possible.
Feathered3

My clutch had a flap, which looking back, wasn’t exactly ideal. I should have used a flat one with a zipper closure, but whatevs. I hot glued the feathers on in a row, cutting them to a length so they just overlapped the bottom of the flap.

Feathered4

Then I kept gluing in layers, working my way over the top and toward the back, covering the quills as I worked. [Tip: make sure you glue down the tips of the quills so they don’t poke out of the feathers].

Feathered5

When I reached the top of the clutch, I folded the feathers over and glued them down on either side.

Feathered6

Finally, I repeated the layers from the front on the back side, covering the tips of the quills under other feathers as I went, and glued a few feathers down the sides of the clutch to cover as much ivory leather as possible.

Feathered7

From start-to-finish, the project took about 40 minutes. Clean-up took a good chunk of that time, because little pieces of down floated everywhere. But I’m happy with the result!

Feathered8

• 2011: a recap « A Pretty Penny 01/01/2012 at 3:44 pm

[…] feather-duster-turned-clutch restyle was featured in InStyle magazine! This still blows my […]

• Scarlet 06/03/2011 at 9:57 pm

I guess this is proof I just do NOT understand fashion…

• keiralennox 06/03/2011 at 10:06 pm

I definitely don’t carry this little number every day, but every once in a while it’s fun to bring out :) I just really enjoy the creative part of doing these kinds of projects — and there are some awesome DIY ideas out there for all kinds of styles and tastes! Check out PS, I Made This (www.psimadethis.com).

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Super cute idea and not hard to do.http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• grace - stripes & sequins 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>oh my god – i love this!!!nice job!xx gracestripesandsequinscompsst – check out my faux fur neckwarmer DIY!

• grace - stripes & sequins 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>PS – Added you to my blog roll tonight. :)

• From Suns To Moons 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Ooh la la!

• Justine @ Just Better Together 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>this is super creative!Just Better Together

• Justine @ Just Better Together 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>this is super creative!Just Better Together

• Jamillah 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>totally great!!! thanks so much for sharing!

• Wobisobi 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>OMG that is so great !!!!!!! I LOVE it!

• Sara_ItsAboutTheLook 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>I read that DIY and totally planned on making this clutch!! I love how yours came out!

• workitChristine 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Wow! Very creative! Now you'll have to show us what outfits you put it with :)http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

• Pamacreman 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>I love it !!

• Libby, Vintage Aplomb 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Oh my gosh this is so cool! I just happened upon your blog, and I'm so glad I did! It's lovely! :)

• Libby, Vintage Aplomb 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

• Anjela 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Awesome DIY! Just found your blog through Kendi's list of remixers-and I'm so glad I did! I'm your newest 'follower' hehe!

• ISpyDIY 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>LOVE!!! Looks SO great!!! xo Jenniwww.ispy-diy.com

• ISpyDIY 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>LOVE!!! Looks SO great!!! xo Jenniwww.ispy-diy.com

• Kimberly Anne 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>OH my gosh! It looks so perfect! I LOVE the finished product. I'd have been sneezing the entire time with all of the feather remnants!

• Kimberly Anne 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

• Katie 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>what a fantastic idea! I JUST saw a chair at Bloomies with the same detail on on the back and thought…brilliant! such an easy DIY idea. You gave me confidenct, girl! thanks!xox

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Thanks Mom :-)

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:31 am

>Thanks Mom :-)

• punk rawk purl 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>this is such an awesome ReStyle! love it!