>17/30: Don’t Call it a Comeback…

03/08/2011 30 Comments

>17/30: Don’t Call it a Comeback…

03/08/2011 30 Comments

17of30(1)
17of30(2)
17of30(3)
17of30(4)
Similar Dress (worth the splurge — my LOFT dress shown here has lived through several seasons and many a closet purge) | Similar Cardi | Similar Leggings | Ballet Flats (on sale!)

I know what you’re thinking… “Is she ever going to finish this 30 for 30?!” I’m wondering the same thing. At this point, I’m considering renaming this challenge to 30-for-however-long-it-takes.

Is it weird that I really don’t miss having full access to my closet? I’m learning that the key to enjoying getting dressed every day is to have a wardrobe stocked (not stuffed) with quality, mixable pieces that you really love to wear. I used to think that great style meant never wearing the same outfit twice, and I spent a lot of time and money shopping for huge quantities of cheap, trendy things that I’d wear once then banish to the depths of a donation bin. I’m coming around to the idea of building a signature style around your favorite key pieces, and saving valuable closet space for items that deserve it.

My dear bloggy friend Linda wrote about this recently, and reading her thoughts on the subject just reaffirmed for me that I’ve been going about this whole “personal style” thing all wrong for a long time. Getting dressed should be less about torturing yourself into fitting some standard of what’s “in”, and more about feeling rock-your-socks-off good about yourself every. single. day.

Maybe it’s Kendi’s 30 for 30 (this is my third remix), or a shift in priorities since taking on business ownership, or growing up, or a combination of all of these things… but I’m digging this new perspective.

And one day, I will finish the Winter 30 for 30. Probably just in time for the Spring version.

• Mary 05/17/2011 at 12:33 am

>loving those colors together… and that shade of lipstick!!what is that?xoxo

• BetweenLaundryDays 05/17/2011 at 12:33 am

>You're doing a great job at the 30 for 30! Who cares how long it takes, as long as you're happily embracing it. I felt the same way about the challenge. I loved being limited to only wearing the pieces I love. :)

• Elisabeth Carr 05/17/2011 at 12:33 am

>This color palette is so pretty. The jewel tones are just gorgeous. I love the approach of "feeling rock-your-socks-off good" because isn't that all you can really ask for from an outfit? My favorite thing is when my outfit makes me do a little dance when I put it on. Then I know it's right.

• Liesl 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Love your sunglasses and the way you wore your scarf…just lovely! Good for you for going with wearable, mixable pieces too…such a fun challenge! Wonderful attitude too! :)Liesl :)

• Erin and Caroline 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I know everyones been saying it but…the scarf really is gorgeous. It just adds so much color to your outfit! =)And you're doing great with the 30×30 ! It doesn't matter how long. Actually I think your new perspective is exactly what that remix aims to change for people. So kudos for looking at the deeper meaning to a 30×30 remix. =)-Erin (http://keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

• laura 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>cute sunglasses!

• Sydwhite77 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>love the outfit! you should feel accomplished by just taking the plunge into a 30 for 30…i am still getting up the courage. this change in style perspective is freeing and very self loving. thank you for your thoughts :)

• Cait 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I love your scarf, it's so pretty. great look.http://fashioncuriouscait.blogspot.com

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am
  • Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I picked it up at Kohl's for $5!!

• Cassandra Igo 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>That scarf is amazing! Teal is definitely your color.

• Kayla 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Congrats on sticking with this 20X20 this long. I tried the winter one and just couldn't hack it. Love the scarf. Ramblings of a Small Town Girl Fanciful Brainstorm – Tumblr

• Goodframeofmind 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>The 30 for 30 seems like a way to really learn to embrace what you've got and figure out how to weed out the other stuff. I'm glad you're enjoying it, even if it does take you a little longer :)

• Cecilia Oviedo 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Don't know how you manage to rock the challenge! I'd be going nuts! Love the color selection is very interesting, but works wonders!<3 Cess O.http://blog.cessoviedo.com

• Jessica Bruner 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I love your accessories! The scarf and the shades are great!

• Trophyboutique 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I kind of want to wear some of my 30 for 30 clothes but am trying to branch out, too…I love rules, I guess. Weird.

• Carrie 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I couldn't agree with you more about less on torturing yourself on what's in and more about wearing what you feel good in. I love this outfit on you. A belted scarf will always have my heart. Looks great!! ps-can you discuss camera? i've got some xmas moolah to spend…xo,c

• Jessica 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>"30 for however long it takes," I love it!

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Cute Look. I love watching you do 30 for 30. http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Pinkie Anggia ♥ sugarpuff ♥ 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Really love your sunglasses and your beautiful shawl!Same as your blog name, you're so pretty!*hugs* from your new follower♥ sugarpuff ♥Pinkie Anggia ☺http://pinkieanggia.tumblr.com

• Melissa @ Bubby and Bean 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I absolutely adore the colors in this look, and that scarf really completes it. As an eco-fashion designer, I've learned that focusing on a few quality, timeless pieces is key – both for saving money, and for thinking sustainably. I think it rocks that you're doing this!xo,melissa

• ShenDove 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I love the color and print of your scarf! Good luck in finishing the 30 for 30!

• Elizabeth 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>You look gorgeous. That scarf is amazing and totally flattering, and I love the shade of the cardigan.

• Linley 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>LOVE the jewel-tone colors of that scarf and how great it looks with the cardigan! you look great!

• Cynthia 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Now that is an outfit that looks so incredibly polished and on you it looks effortless. And fun! It looks so fun! Thanks for the link- off to read something new right now!

• workitChristine 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Wow! what a beautiful scarf! these colors are great together!http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

• workitChristine 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

• Kate @ Undeniable Style 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>totally loving this look. it's casual and effortless and you look so chic!

• Kate @ Undeniable Style 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>totally loving this look. it's casual and effortless and you look so chic!

• EnterKelly 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Your scarf is really amazing! That's one thing I need more of in my wardrobe.:)