>Snack Attack: A New Twist on Oatmeal Cookies

03/14/2011 16 Comments

>Snack Attack: A New Twist on Oatmeal Cookies

03/14/2011 16 Comments

BOCC1

Husband and I don’t share too many vices. He hates shopping, for one. However, we both have an uncontrollable and insatiable craving for freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I came across this less-guilt recipe on Bethenny’s natural cooking blog. I decided to whip up my own version using what I had in my pantry.

They were delicious, and even husband downed 5 or 6 when they came out of the oven. Read more for the improvised recipe.

BOCC2

I used:

1 1/2 cups wheat flour
3/4 cups quick-cooking plain oatmeal
1/2 arrowroot powder
(I keep this on-hand for making natural deodorant)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cups Ghiradelli chocolate chips
1 tsp canola or vegetable oil
1/3 cup skim milk
1 mashed banana
1 tsp molasses

You can compare my ingredients to Bethenny’s, and come up with your own variation.

BOCC3
Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Don’t skimp on the chocolate chips, ya’ll!
BOCC4
Then, in a separate bowl, take out your aggression on an innocent, unassuming banana. Toss in the rest of your wet ingredients and combine them all together.

BOCC5
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix it all together until it’s well-combined. I did this with my hands — the same way my mom taught me to make meatloaf when I was 8.

BOCC6
Your dough should look something like this. If your unsuspecting husband takes a bite of it thinking it’s regular cookie dough, he’ll probably make an “ick” face at first, but then it will grow on him.

BOCC9
Roll the dough into little balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and smoosh them down with a fork. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden.

I tell myself that eating a dozen of these sweet things is better than regular chocolate chip cookies.
You agree, right?

• Wobisobi 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Yum Yum!!

• Cassandra Igo 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Those look DELICIOUS! I would definitely try this recipe out, minus the banana (I'm not big on that yellow fruit), haha.

• colletteosuna 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Hi Keira….these look great, and easy…..my kind of recipe…I love oatmeal:)Stop by and say Hello:)Enter my Free People Giveaway!!♥

• Eliise 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I've been meaning to make oatmeal cookies for some time now and adding a banana sounds quite clever. Thanks for the tips :)

• 2Anchor 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>These look delicious! However, when I saw the second picture, I got abnormally excited about the Publix brand! I miss Publix so much…they should have them up north!http://2anchor.blogspot.com

• 2Anchor 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

• eclecticflair 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Those look SO good! It's practically torture for you to post these without sharing! :D Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

• shealennon 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I have to say, I love all your foodie features lately. I'm getting some great ideas! These look delicious AND good for you.

• Agentsuperstar 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Can not wait to try this. :)

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Looks yummyhttp://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Christina 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Hey, a dozen cookies is almost eating a whole banana…gotta get that daily dose of fruit ;) Can't wait to try this variation.

• Marn_b1 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>These look fantastic!

• Marn_b1 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>These look fantastic!

• Lawnrang99 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I was wondering about the amount of arrow root. It said 1/2 arrow root. Would that be 1/2 cup; 1/2 teasp; 1/2 Tablsp? Would love to know rather than guess. Sounds like a wonderful recipe.Thanks,Lawnrang

• Theresa Neubauer 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>They look delicious, almost like a little scoop of banana bread in your mouth, aren't they?? Only better, I suppose :-)!http://www.neu4bauer.blogspot.com

• Juliette 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>I am SO following you. I love your shoes, many of your outfits, and your baking! I LOVE to bake.http://shoesnjules.onsugar.com/