>Closet Confessions

03/20/2011 49 Comments

>Closet Confessions

03/20/2011 49 Comments

CC1  CC2
Welcome to one of my favorite (and most sacred) places in our home: my closet! I was reading this month’s issue of Lucky, and the feature on closet organization got me thinking about my own tried-and-true tricks.
 I run a tight ship in here, mostly because a well-organized wardrobe makes putting outfits together infinitely easier, but also because I’m a bit of a control freak. You’ll notice that by many standards, I don’t have a “lot” of clothes (seen an episode of Clean House lately? Whoa…) I weed them out every few months to keep things fresh and neat, and these photos were taken after one-such purge session and reorganization project on Saturday.
For what they’re worth, here are some of my tips for maximizing your space and making your closet work for you. Keep reading, if you wanna!

The method of my madness: categorizing. Probably over-categorizing to the point of near sickness, but this is my space and it’s what makes my little heart happy. You don’t have to be this obsessive, but I’d definitely recommend breaking everything down into sections — it will make pulling outfits together so much easier when you can see everything that you have to work with.
If you can’t see it, chances are you’re never going to wear it!
CC3
Let’s start in the middle. I put my shirts and blouses front-and-center, since I usually pick them first when creating head-to-toe looks. I arrange them by color, and within each color they’re usually short-sleeve to long-sleeve. {Depends on how much laundry I happen to be putting away that day}

CC4

CC5

And just below the tops, open-air shelves create more storage space than the original wire rack. On the left: earrings, bracelets, rings and watches are stored in clear storage bins, flats and sandals are stacked on shelves, and short necklaces are hung on a T-stand. On the right: Lingerie and tights are stored in baskets and canvas totes, scarves are rolled up in a low basket, and clutches and small handbags are stacked on the shelves. Wedges and “every day” shoes (although not as “every day” anymore…) are lined up on the floor.

CC6  CC7

Now to the right side of my little “step-in” closet — tunics, long sweaters, and dresses hang nicely together on their rack. I’ve moved dresses to the back since I don’t wear them too often anymore… but I still pet them and talk to them from time to time. I try to keep the things I wear most often at the closest reach.

CC8  CC9

Just under that rack, cube shelves house my beloved, memoirs-of-a-corporate-career-gone-by stilettos and pumps. Belts are rolled up in a clear hanging storage unit, and a few well-placed nails hold long necklaces to keep them from becoming a tangled mess. Fancy, huh?

CC10  CC12

And on the left side, casual jackets, sweaters, and cardis hang on the top rack. Suits and blazers have moved to the back of that same rack, out of sight and out of mind. Unlike my dresses and pumps, I don’t really miss ’em.
 I have a rod extender for pants and skirts, which doubles my hanging space on that side. Now that spring weather is here, boots have moved from the floor to the top shelf. Clearly I need to invest in some boot inserts, or just drink a lot of wine.

CC11  CC14

There you have it, friends! The all-access VIP tour to my little style hive. I love to check out other closets, so if you’ve done a post on your own, link it up in the comments so I can check it out!

CC13

• miamibreastaugmentation.org 07/20/2013 at 4:07 am

Scars are natural consequences of any incision or surgery.

Having plastic surgery is a big deal, so there is an inherent amount
    of concern that comes along with such a decision. These days lots of breast enhancement methods are there which helps women
    not only to increase the size of their breasts but also increasing their firmness or making their sizes equal.

• mind mapping software 06/29/2013 at 11:36 pm

I just couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information an individual supply in your guests? Is going to be back regularly in order to check up on new posts

• 2011: a recap « A Pretty Penny 01/01/2012 at 3:44 pm

[…] shared my closet confessions, and gave you an inside glimpse into the deep depths of my obsessive […]

• […] of closet essentials. Mostly because I hate a closet full of clutter [read my closet confessions here], and I think working around a dozen or so basics makes remixing a easy […]

• LJ 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Wine bottles in boots stored up on a high shelf sounds a little dangerous… I use old magazines to keep my boots upright in the closet.

• TheCheapGirlHayley 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Oh man I wish I could be this organized! My closet will be downsizing soon so I will keep these tips in mind. I cram anything and everything into mine. and SO jealous of TWO pairs of cheetah heels. Cheapgirlchicworld.blogspot.com

• TheCheapGirlHayley 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

• Linda 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love this post! I read that article, too, and I organized my closet over the weekend. I don't have any pictures yet, but you summed it up with the best tips and pointers. When I do my post, I'll tell everyone… go read what Keira said. :o)

• Linda 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

• Justine @ Just Better Together 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I use old newspaper. Newspaper is suppose to absorb the smelly-feet smell and the wet-ness too! (I'm not saying you have smelly feet though!)Just Better Together

• Linda 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Rolled up magazines! That's a great idea.

• Kristen 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Your closet is so well organized! Want to come do mine? It's a disaster of epic proportions. I know it needs to be done but it's intimidating to me. :p

• thedailyfashionista 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love your closet! I'm envious of how much space you have! I live in a "turn of the century" apartment so my closet is about 2 1/2 feet wide, but I made the most of my space in the best way possible. Here's a link to my latest organization post:)http://thedailyfashionista.blogspot.com/2011/03/take-gander.html

• Sara 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I organize my tops by color & sleeve length also!!! hehe. :) I also have a million skirts so I organize those by "statement" (meaning it requires a more neutral top) or "neutral" (meaning I should go for more of a "statement" top!). Love being that organized!! haha

• Saxie5 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I agree with Justine about using rolled up newspapers. They work really well at keeping my boots from flopping over.

• Cecilia Oviedo 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>another reminder that I should start organizing my closet, sounds like you have a great system! Love the shoe collection , many pretty pairs!<3 Cess O.http://blog.cessoviedo.com

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love my organize closet too. http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love my organize closet too. http://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Kate 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Great tips! I think you've inspired me to re-organize my closet! Thank you!

• Melanie 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Amazing! I am so jealous of the space (and your organizational ability) in your closet.

• shealennon 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I organize my clothes the same way! Unfortunately the space I have to work with is significantly smaller, but I make do. I got some great ideas for shoes and accessories, thanks!!

• Iris 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Wow, I love your closet! I wish I had that kind of space :)

• Iris 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Wow, I love your closet! I wish I had that kind of space :)

• andie 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Beautiful Closet! Great tips, seems like I always have too many clothes and not enough hangers, guess that means it time for some spring cleaning. Specifically love the way you did your necklaces, I definitely need a system for them.nomapisasubstitute.blogspot.com

• andie 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

• workitChristine 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I wish my closet were that fantastically organized. Wanna come help me fix it up?http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

• Goodframeofmind 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>My organizational heart is going pitter patter -fabulous!

• eclecticflair 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Oh I love your closet! I've always wanted a big walk-in closet with all sorts of organization going on! Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

• AFashionFixation 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love your closet Keira! Very organized and well thought out.

• Siena Style 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>wow I love all of your shoes!!:)kiss from prague

• Chaucee 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>You have a really nice rounded out closet! Come help me with mine!

• Mom2orsini 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I enjoyed that tour! Very informative and relaxing…I strive for this kind of organization, but really need to do a 30 in 30 so I stop buying and messing up my otherwise neat closet!!!! Thanks!

• Rochelle 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Rolled up magazines work wonders at keeping boots standing up! Loved getting a peek into your closet and love all the organization tips :)

• Samantha 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I would be afraid to show my closet. That means I'd have to actually clean it. It's organized but the dust bunnies on the floor are taking over. I also group shirts like that, have no fear there are definitely lots of people with closet OCD. Myself being one of them. If I ever get the nerve to post anything like that I'll be linking up!http://mygrowingobsessions.blogspot.com

• Elizabeth 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>So much fun! Thanks for the tour and the organizing tips!

• Wobisobi 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>OK Girl.. Loving the hair and it is getting so long.

• Erin and Caroline 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I LOVE how organized and clean your closet is. It's really inspiring me to redo mine..mines a MESS right now. -Erin (http://keepcalmandstyleon.blogspot.com)

• DJ 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>So jealous of your step in closet – my "stick head in" closet doesn't take well to any kind of organization techniques, but I do my best.I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out why you look so different in these pictures – and then I realized you have your bangs clipped back! You look gorgeous! The bangs are cute and fun, but I have to say I think I prefer you without them!

• Raj T 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Thanks for inviting us into your closet! I'm a bit of an organization freak also, but we are living in a very small rental right now and there is just not enough space for everything. Seeing this has totally inspired me to figure out a better way to store my clothes so I can create better outfits!

• Carrie 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love this!! You've done such a beautiful job. I need some racks in my closet, but live in an older home so have to figure out how to make it happen…or move. eeps! I totally agree with you: if you can't see it chances are you're not going to wear it. Truer words were never spoken!

• Pheobe 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>This is such a great closet! thanks so much for this post, it's giving me such great ideas about my closet makeover. (definitely thinking about installing these shelving units for starters :) )

• MissRockwell 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Yay!! I'm not the only one who uses nails to hang my necklaces inside of my closet!!

• Kara @ Destined For Now 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I love this! I feel like a peeper.

• A76 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>Thanks for letting us in! And wow – it looks very well organized. I hope get a new (and bigger) closet this fall…

• A76 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

• Lian 05/17/2011 at 12:29 am

>I'm saving this post for when there comes a day I'll have a closet with more hanging space. In the meantime, I really need to come up with some tips for my type of closet :-) Like your post, though!!

• NadiaMW 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I want my closet to look like this!!!!!!!!!

• kelsey williams 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>Thanks for sharing! I am not as naturally clean as you, so I want to do a major overhaul!

• Roozan108 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>i like seeing closets like yours. :)