>Treasure Hunting

03/30/2011 29 Comments

032911(1)
032911(2)
032911(3)

032911(5)

032911(4)
Sunny Leigh tunic (Macy’s clearance, $9) | Armani Exchange jeans (Plato’s Closet, $20) | Nine West scarf (Beall’s Outlet, $4) | Style&Co wedges (Macy’s, 2009) | Handmade sterling silver spoon ring (local art show)

My grandmother collected sterling silver spoon rings. For as long as I can remember, her pretty little hands {which she would argue weren’t pretty because she had arthritis, but I thought were lovely} were always adorned with a coat of delicate clear pink polish and her shiny, curvy spoon rings.

Every year my community holds a big art festival downtown. Last year I stopped at the booth of an elderly couple who do amazing things with fine silverware — charms, wind chimes, animal figurines, and an assortment of jewelry {including spoon rings!}. This year’s festival was a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to take a stroll around and see what was new. As I walked by the mixed media paintings and handmade jewelry, I remembered that couple and decided to pay them a visit.

I told them about my grandmother’s collection. We talked about her passing last summer and how much I miss her, and then and there I decided to start a collection of my own. They pulled this beautiful ring from a special stash of pieces, and explained that they’d made it with a silver spoon they purchased at an estate sale in Norway. We all agreed that it would be the perfect first piece.

• Ruby Girl 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>what a beautiful scarf! <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

• Jessica 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>The story about your grandmother is so sweet. Mine collected all sorts of different salt and pepper shakers. Sometimes I think of starting my own collection like that.Also, you are absolutely gorgeous. Just thought I'd share. :)

• Elizabeth 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Such a darling story. I love your first piece, and your nail polish!

• Hayley 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I usually love your casual outfits but I LOVE this one! It is still casual and comfy but looks so polished and dressy as well! Great styling!!HayleyThe Weekend File

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Oh my goodness, I'm in love with this ring! I love that his designs would be like an updated, modern version of her collection :) Does he have a website?!

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Makes PERFECT sense to me! I'll take a milkshake over so-s0-gummy-ball-tea.

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Try Payless! They have great styles, and they're usually pretty comfy.

• Katie W 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>What a sweet story! I wasn't that close to my grandmother but I can see how special it would have been… And that sweet couple definitely gave you the perfect first piece, it's gorgeous!I also love this neutral on jean look. I feel like a I haven't seen a good clean neutral on jean look in quite a while.

• Iris 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I've never heard of spoon rings before but, it's very pretty and that is a lovely story!

• marie a la mode 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I LOVE your scarf! This is such a cute outfit.

• S. of Narrowly Tailored 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I love this look on you, and the special piece you've anchored it around! What a wonderful tradition to have resumed, and a great way to remember your grandmother!

• Tanvi 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>You have such a beautiful smile. I absolutely love the scarf. It is totally rocking the undertones of your shirt :)♡ from © tanvii.com

• Megs 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I love, love spoon rings. My mom always wore one as her wedding ring. Yours is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Lucky!!

• Lauren Quaile 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Really great story. I try to incorporate family pieces in my wardrobe every day. Lovely to see your ring and hear your story. Thanks for sharing!www.mothermayiborrow.blogspot.com

• Sara_ItsAboutTheLook 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>That's such a fantastic story!! You can find some really fun spoon rings on eBay, although they wouldn't have as cool a story as the one you're wearing here :)

• Kayley 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>I love the ring and the story behind it! You look so cute and classy!

• Sara 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>SO cool! One of my former coworkers used work for a jewelry designer, and since leaving there he's started to create his own jewelry from spoons and forks, just like this. He also uses stones he gets from all over the world, it's really pretty stuff, I bought a ring myself! :) (if this link works you can see it here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4487149970_35f5834dc7_z.jpg)

• Kelly 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>That is such a unique ring, and the perfect start to what I'm sure will be a wonderful collection!Super-cute outfit today. I really like your printed scarf!

• Louise 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>That is a really beautiful story about your Grandmother. Those spoon rings are gorgeous, I haven't seen anything like that before.

• Sarah 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Loving those wedges! And that nail polish! It's the perfect compliment.xo,Sarah

• laura 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Oh wow… That ring is just gorgeous!

• Crissa 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>I love this post! Your Nan is smiling down on you. You're a doll.

• Cecilia Oviedo 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Coincidence is my mother collects silver spoons too, she keeps them in a frame and she has tons from all over the world! Spoon ring is so cute, definitely special! btw … love your teal eyes popping nails!<3 Cess O.The Outfit Diaries

• Meeshellunderground 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>pretty rings, girl!http://60smodfox.blogspot.com/

• Angela Schaaf 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Cool outfit + sweet story :)))

• thedailyfashionista 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>I love the story about how your ring came to be yours. That was sweet of the couple to find something that special for you. I love silver spoon rings now….so here I go to peruse etsy;) Have a lovely day!

• Samantha 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>That's such a sweet story. Love that outfit and the scarf, the print is so cute! http://mygrowingobsessions.blogspot.com

• 2Anchor 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>What a cute story! I love when things have a story, they make them soooo much better:) I've never actually seen a spoon ring in person, I'll have to search for one!http://2anchor.blogspot.com

• Jessica Zigenis 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>That top on you? UH-mazing. Just sayin'. And bubble tea… hmmm… It was a fun experience, but here's my conclusion: if I'm going to eat something that packed with sugar (it tastes like pure sugar), it better be a caramel frap or a jamba juice or something utterly delicious, not something with balls and a so-so flavor. I hope that made sense. : / Have a great day!