>Project ReStyle: The Long and Short of It

04/06/2011 25 Comments

>Project ReStyle: The Long and Short of It

04/06/2011 25 Comments

Shorts1 Shorts2

Shorts3

Shorts6 Shorts4

I’m loving easy denim shorts for spring and summer — especially when they’re cuffed and a longer length. We just finished watching the last season of Weeds on Netflix, and I loved Nancy’s go-to cuffed denim shorts that she wore in almost every episode. I decided to hack one of my favorite pair of jeans (Divine Rights of Denim from m.marie a few years ago) into a similar pair. They don’t fit as well as skinnies anymore since I’ve lost a few pounds, but they’re a perfect fit for shorts.
To make sure the hems turned out even, I just folded the legs up evenly to meet the top of the waist and cut straight across with sharp fabric scissors. Then rolled them up a couple of times into a cuff. Could not be easier [read: lazier] friends.
Can’t wait to pair these with cute spring wedges and an easy breezy top.
Moral of the story, kiddos: Think twice before you throw old jeans into the donation pile. ReStyle ’em!

• […] know I love to hack up some jeans. When I saw these zig-zag cut-offs on Pinterest, I […]

• […] floral button-up | ReStyled denim shorts | Seychelles Gypsy sandals (I got mine at Marshall’s, but you can find them […]

• […] striped top (Belk clearance) | ReStyled denim shorts | Nine West woven belt | Antonio Melani yellow leather espadrilles (Dillards) | Betsy Johnson watch […]

• Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I am so doing this on Saturday! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Kimberly Anne 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I REALLY need to consider doing this to a pair or two of my jeans that don't get worn. I wanna see 'em on you before I take scissors to mine!

• Prettylifeanonymous 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>I LOVE it! And SO simple. I can't wait until the weather here behaves itself so I can start chopping off my pant legs!

• cathykhayes 05/17/2011 at 12:30 am

>Love it!!! Now what can I start cutting on! :) http://www.cathykhayes.blogspot.com

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>great diy.

• sarah 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>i have done this with a couple of pairs of jeans & i love it! you get the perfect length you want when you diy!! :) so happy it's time to start pulling out the shorts! :)

• Jen S 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I too was smitten by Nancy's shorts! I love her easy, laid-back, California style, though I don't think I could rock a sheer top like she can. I actually went out and thrifted some jeans to cut off after watching the last season, even though I already have a lot of pairs–I get very attached to my jeans.And why does Weeds always have to wrap up with a cliffhanger?!

• Kayla 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I love the idea of just folding them to the top and cutting. That is so much easier than measuring! I may have to do that myself with some ill fitting pairs I have in the closet! Genius!

• Meghan Gullen 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>OMG are those your Divine skinnys?! What are you going to do without them heehee… LOVE the shorts :)<3 Mhttp://mmarieboutique.blogspot.com/

• Elaine Hearn 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>Nicely done! I tried that once but I've just decided I shouldn't wear anything that tight and short on my bigger thighs and bum… hahahah

• andie 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>This is a great way to extend the life of damaged or ill fitting jeans. I have at least two pairs already. Probably will be making a 'new' pair soon. :-)nomapisasubstitute.blogspot.com

• eclecticflair 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>Can't wait to see you rock them!! Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

• Caz 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>Can't wait to see you wearin' em!!I have a pair of cut offs, but they're more like daisy dukes… tho mostly because that's where the rip was in my jeans! :D

• Caz 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

• Lynzy 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>First- is that your dog in the pictures below? So ADORABLE! :) Second, You denim cutoffs came out so good! I have tried this multiple times and for some reason when I try them on they always look funny! I love the length you made them!xo Lynzyhttp://sparklingfootsteps.blogspot.com

• shealennon 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I love the look of the longer denim shorts–I might just have to make a pair myself! You're my DIY guru Keira!

• laura 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>love this idea and will definitely be trying it. i noticed nancy's shorts while watching weeds, too! :) thanks for sharing your brilliance!

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I need a new pair!!

• Katy_rose1 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>I did this last summer to my favorite pair of jeans that were worn out at the knee and heel. It was the perfect way to save my favs while not looking like a slob. Can't wait for the summer to get here so we can all be busting out the shorts! – Katy

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>That's why these worked! They were about a size bigger than I am now, so they were just loose enough ;-)

• Keira Lennox 05/17/2011 at 12:28 am

>Measuring-shmeasuring ;-)

• Kelleyetg 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>I love how they style Nancy!!! Mary Louise Parker is one hot tamale. Thanks for the refashion tut, I live way farther north from you and west, so I won't be in shorts season till late May…oh and there isn't anything wrong with being pale.