>Project ReStyle: Ruffle Collar Cardi

04/18/2011 17 Comments

>Project ReStyle: Ruffle Collar Cardi

04/18/2011 17 Comments

IMG_0224 IMG_0228
Since spring of last year, I’ve been mildly obsessed with the embellished cardi trend. I couldn’t go into LOFT without being tempted to take out a second mortgage and buy every one of their gorgeous $90 cardigans that were adorned with chiffon flowers and pretty rhinestone buttons.
 {Does anyone else remember these? They’re emblazoned onto my memory.}
It turns out you can make your own embellished cardi on the cheap!
Don’t panic, it’s a whole lot easier than it looks.

You’ll Need: a cardigan, sheer fabric (I’ve had this Express shirt since back in my retail days and the color and pattern complement this bold coral cardigan so nicely), sharp fabric scissors, and a needle and thread.

You Won’t Need: a sewing machine or advanced sewing skills.

IMG_0198 IMG_0199

Start by cutting the fabric into strips. They don’t have to be uniform in width or length, and they don’t even have to be neat, straight cuts.

Thread a needle and tie a knot at the end of your thread. The knot will be an anchor for all of your “ruffles”.

IMG_0202 IMG_0204

Fold each strip of fabric into a little accordion, and then thread your needle through the center (kind of like stringing popcorn for holiday garland).

IMG_0205 IMG_0206

IMG_0211 IMG_0212

Keep repeating the last step until you form a long garland. You can make the ruffles as tight or loose as you’d like — just fluff the accordions on the thread until it looks right to you.

IMG_0218 IMG_0222

Thread another needle. You’ll probably want to use a coordinating thread that’s the same color as your cardigan. I used a thicker white one so you can better see the stitching.

Place the garland on the collar of the cardigan (making sure not to cover up the top button!) and sew it on with a simple straight stitch. You can twist the garland a little as you go to give the ruffles more texture.

If you run out of garland, just start over from the beginning and create a new one — and sew it on where the first one left off.  Just measure your thread against what’s left of the collar to be sure it’s the right length!

I love how the sheer fabric frays a little along the edges. You could probably use a silk material and get a similar result.

• overmypinkrainbow 12/28/2011 at 3:18 pm

beautiful

• thingsbyrebecca 11/03/2011 at 11:35 pm

I definately need to try this one. What an awesome idea :)

• elizabeth 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Super adorable! Looks pretty easy too! You are doing such a great job with your ReStyle projects!

• Chaundi Sherele 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Such a GREAT idea! I simply LOVE embellished cardigans!

• MeghanM 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>This is ADORABLE…you make everything look so easy! I used to feel like I was so un-crafty, but some of your restyle projects have given me great hope.

• Amy 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>Super cute Ideahttp://amyfashionblog52.blogspot.com/

• Apairandaspareonline 05/17/2011 at 12:27 am

>wow love it! great DIY. really makes something old totally new again. x

• Chloe Austyn Holley 05/17/2011 at 12:26 am

>Not only is this totally do-able, it's totally cute! Bonus points for all of your DIY projects not actually looking DIY.

• Mariadelaorden 04/24/2011 at 7:06 am

>OMG, so DIY !! its amazing , u are talented fot this kind of things;);) u have such an amazing blog ! we could follow each other, I would appreciiate if u follow me and tell me what do u think about my blog !!http://fashionmusthavemaria.blogspot.com/I'LL FOLLOW BACK;););)thxxkisses from Spain

• Pamela 04/23/2011 at 3:25 pm

>I'd love to see this on! Post an outfit with your new cardi!

• Twitch Vintage 04/20/2011 at 1:54 am

>I am so going to try this. Great DIY.

• martinalynne 04/19/2011 at 1:25 am

>Wonderful! I can't wait to try… and I wonder if the garland couldn't go down the front, too, as long as the button holes were taken into consideration. Hmm. My brain's a-churnin' now!

• andie 04/19/2011 at 1:21 am

>So cute! I bet you could also take one piece of garland and twist it to make a pretty flower, maybe putting a button in the center…just an idea :-)nomapisasubstitute.blogspot.com

• Ann @ SoberFashionista 04/19/2011 at 1:12 am

>That's pretty cool! Good job! :)http://soberfashionista.blogspot.com/

• Becca 04/19/2011 at 12:01 am

>What an awesome idea. I would never have thought this would be so easy to DIY! It looks great, the lighter contrasting pink is so nice for the trim. I'm now mentally scanning my closet trying to figure out which tops I can hack up to do a similar project.

• Pumps and Gloss 04/18/2011 at 7:11 pm

>Very cute!!

• Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen 04/18/2011 at 7:07 pm

>How simple, yet how adorable! I have an old Lands End cardi I no longer love… I think it would be perfect to embellish like this. Thanks for the DIY tutorial!