I’m turning into my mother.

06/07/2011 9 Comments

I’m turning into my mother.

06/07/2011 9 Comments
LC Lauren Conrad top (Gift from Little Tin Soldier) | Michael Kors shorts (Marshall’s) | American Eagle sandals (Marshall’s) | Thrifted belt

IMG_0185 IMG_0183

Have you read My Mom, the Style Icon? It’s the brainchild of Piper Weiss, and began as a place for women to share photos and stories of how their mothers influenced their style. It’s since spun off into a book and a column in Lucky magazine, and I love everything about it.

I’m not sure when I began to appreciate that my own mother is a stylish lady… She never wore “mom jeans” or sweats, and always looked completely put-together and polished — even as a single mom for many years on a shoestring budget. We spent a lot of time shopping in consignment shops and outlet stores, and had our fair share of battles over what was/wasn’t appropriate for each of us to wear. Sorry for all those times I made you late for work because I overslept, and then you had to send me back to my room to change because my shorts were too short.

While today our personal styles are a little different (mine is pretty classic and simple, and she likes a little glamour and glitz) she taught me several valuable lessons throughout my life about getting dressed everyday. Namely, that feeling like a million bucks doesn’t have to cost a fortune and that “less is more,” as in you don’t have to show a ton of skin to look or feel confident and beautiful.

I wore these sandals to her house for dinner last weekend, and she said, “Oh, I had those same shoes back in the 80’s, and they were so comfortable!” Er, maybe our styles aren’t quite as different as I thought…

• Carrie 06/08/2011 at 7:45 pm

If this is turning into your mother than I say carry on! It’s a fab look and your shoes are super cute. xo

• Rochelle 06/08/2011 at 6:12 pm

That is so cool that you have her as a style inspiration to look up to! And you look lovely!

• Amy 06/08/2011 at 2:01 pm

I love your shoe

• Rosa Rot 06/08/2011 at 12:36 pm

like blouse and sandals!

• Elizabeth 06/08/2011 at 8:55 am

My mom used to wear those too! I’m not a huge fan of them, but they look adorable on you and you’re rockin’ them! Cute outfit!

• Linda Z 06/08/2011 at 12:41 am

Great lessons from your mom! I love your style. Have you ever posted mom fashion pics?

So funny about the blouse… I immediately thought of Linda, cause that is my favorite of her clothing! It’s a great look for you, too! :)

• Anna Jane 06/07/2011 at 10:02 pm

ah, aren’t we all turning into our mothers? i know i am :) sounds like your mom has a great sense of style, so i know where you get it! Love your casual/cool look!

• Linda 06/07/2011 at 9:43 pm

Oh, I love that your mom once had the same shoes! I wore my blouse over the weekend with shorts. I haven’t checked out the book yet, but it’s on my wishlist. It sounds like a wonderful read.

• Anne 06/07/2011 at 8:29 pm

Love it !! you look amazing!