30 for 30: Crazy Eights

06/21/2011 19 Comments

30 for 30: Crazy Eights

06/21/2011 19 Comments

IMG_0904IMG_0891

You know those outfits that seem really great in theory, but when you see them in photographs you’re all, meh. This is one such ensemble; it turned out a little frumpier than I thought it would. Which, looking back, I’m not sure why I thought baggy linen shorts and a roomy flowy top would look polished…

Some of you may look at this outfit and think it’s perfectly acceptable. I am, after all, my harshest critic. But some of you may agree that this isn’t the greatest thing I’ve ever put together, and that’s totally okay!

Kendi said it best once when she said that remixing isn’t about creating 30 super-stunner outfits. It’s about creating 30 unique outfits and learning what works and what doesn’t along the way. I could’ve just skipped posting this one, and taken outfit shots after I’d gone home and changed into something I liked better; but somehow that feels kinda dirty and dishonest. {To me! Not to say that this isn’t an acceptable way for other bloggers to run their own space}. I ran into someone on Saturday who said, “Oh hey, your outfit looks familiar — this is what you wore on the blog today. So you really do wear the outfits you post every day!” Yep. Yep, I do.

That’s the beautiful thing about personal style blogs, isn’t it? There are no wardrobe stylists or makeup teams to make sure that every outfit and photo is flawless. It’s just this amazing melting pot of real women wearing their real clothes — purchased on real budgets — and sharing a little glimpse of their style with the world through un-edited lenses. Kind of awesome, huh?

• Linda Rieschel 06/23/2011 at 4:13 pm

I think you look adorable and very feminine!

• Allie 06/22/2011 at 8:56 pm

I dig those sandals!

Your blog is one I return to because your outfits are real – you have great style, wear realistic outfits that can be inspiring to fellow women. You may feel this is off, but this outfit still shows you know you and your personal style and I dig it!

• jackie 06/22/2011 at 5:59 pm

for some reason, i havent been following you through blogger, so everytime i flip through my internet favorites, i’m pleasantly surprised by a whole slew of posts from you that i havent read. you’re always good for a few laughs. and i’m glad you’re being more chill about the 30 for 30 this time around- your outfits have turned out cute so far :)

• Carrie 06/22/2011 at 4:56 pm

I’m glad you’re posting the real everyday outfits we’d all wear. It makes me feel so relieved to see you and others in things that are credible and not in the 5 inch heels I have a hard time believing women stroll around in daily despite their best claims. Men maybe…women, nope. hehe

xo,
    C

• rajthandhi 06/22/2011 at 4:04 pm

The exact same thing happened to me last week. Great outfit in my head, not so great in pictures (http://pinkchai.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/nothing-to-write-home-about/). I also decided to post it anyways, because I wanted to be honest about my not great styling. Thanks for the reminder about creating unique outfits instead of spectacular outfits.

PS: I think you look pretty cute, but also understand about being your own harshest critic.

• Liza 06/22/2011 at 2:10 pm

Just curious; how did you tie your belt?

• kathy 06/22/2011 at 11:07 am

I think this is a really cute outfit. Light and breezy.

• Amy 06/22/2011 at 7:54 am

Cute shorts. We all have an off day some times. I know I do.

• Patty 06/22/2011 at 1:22 am

those have got to be the cutest shorts ever :D

it is awesome about style blogs. they’re not always OMG HITS but it’s real ;) good job girl, your outfits always make me think, ‘why didn’t i think of that?’ awesome

• Sarah 06/21/2011 at 11:18 pm

It is funny to me to think of style blogging things I don’t wear. I don’t post the same day as I wear the outfits, but I do always wear them. Anyway, this probably isn’t the best outfit ever but it is still cute and looks comfortable in the warmer temperatures!

• Anonymous 06/21/2011 at 10:56 pm

Those shorts are so pretty! You remind me of Rachel Bilson! =)

• Sasha 06/21/2011 at 10:21 pm

Something things that even look great in the mirror don’t photograph well. Sigh. I do love the shorts – I’ve been debating I could pull off floral shorts.

When I did 30 for 30 last summer, one of my roommates actually suggested I just put on all the outfits and take photos one day and be done with it. No fun at all, I say.

Sasha
    asparkleintime.blogspot.com

• anastasiac 06/21/2011 at 9:37 pm

i actually like it on you – the colours are fine together and you look happy! big smiles all round….

• SWFTerra 06/21/2011 at 8:31 pm

I’m glad you posted it. I’ve had that feeling about an outfit. But I think it’s important to document it. It’s a great opportunity to discuss what works/doesn’t work. I personally am in love with this top. And I see what you mean about the two of these pieces paired together, but I never would have THOUGHT that until you said it. I still think you’re super fly.

• Cheryl parker 06/21/2011 at 6:58 pm

Here, here! Love how you put it! This is why you’re one of my favorites! A real woman on a real budget, looking fabulous!

• Sunday Crossbow 06/21/2011 at 6:05 pm

that is a GREAT top! You’re super cute!

• Linda Z 06/21/2011 at 5:39 pm

I think it’s cute! :) As I’ve said before… that is my absolute favorite tunic that you and Linda wear. I just love it! Did you try belting in untucked? I wonder if you’d like it better that way.

• annebach 06/21/2011 at 5:35 pm

Agreed! An “off-day” for you is still super-cute by my standards (and most peoples’, I would think). ;)

Have never commented on your blog before, but I really like your style and have been inspired by you to continue to try to dress stylishly in the humid Houston climate this summer. It’s so easy to just “give up” (sartorially speaking) in the summertime here, but seeing the success of a Floridian in this regard has encouraged me to keep making an effort, and I feel so much better for it! Thank you! :)

• Tiffany 06/21/2011 at 5:17 pm

It may not be the most flattering outfit ever, but I think you still look cute! And laid back and comfortable. I like it! And those shorts are adorable!!