From There to Here.

07/21/2011 14 Comments

From There to Here.

07/21/2011 14 Comments

Are there provisions to the #30x30 rules when your dog destroys one of your 30 items? :-/ How am I supposed to get any work done with this guy whining in my ear and giving me please-let's-play puppy eyes?

It’s a good thing I set myself up to bow out of the 30 for 30 gracefully this week. It’s been a crazy few days around here and, unfortunately, posting hasn’t been on the top of my multi-page to-do lists. Plus, Doak has decided to call an end to the remixing by starting to destroy pieces from my 30. Guess he’s over seeing the same things every day. He says repeating is a fashion faux-paws {had to; I feel like Mom and my friend Katie will appreciate that pun, so we’re rolling with it}.

He’s lucky he’s so cute.

Fresh delivery! The sweetest little mini callas!

On a slightly more serious note, the last week has probably been one of the most challenging since Chad and I began the process of taking over the reigns of the family business. We had to deal with a handful of sticky situations; some good, some bad, and some just plain ugly. It was one of those weeks when you wonder if there’s an invisible “TRY ME” tattoo emblazoned on your forehead, and you just want to run away for a few days until everything clears up.

Then this morning, while driving a funeral delivery* to a church in another town, I passed a logistics company I was <this close> to working for right after I graduated from college.  The job: recruiting truck drivers. It was going to require more than an hour commute each way, and the nice man who would’ve been my boss warned me that the high-stress days wouldn’t end until 8:00pm or later, six to seven days a week. I wasn’t exactly excited about it, but it was a well-paying job and I had a degree burning a hole in my pocket.

A series of events happened around that time {I’ll share with you sometime} that redirected me, and I respectfully declined the position and never looked back. Until I passed the place this morning.

Siamese twin Gerbers! Here comes the bride!

I thought about how different my life would be now if I’d began my career there. I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to become involved in the community I love so much and probably wouldn’t have the same friends. I couldn’t nurture my creative side, or work with the public every day, both of which I really enjoy. I can’t imagine how little I would’ve seen my husband, or the strain it may have put on our relationship. This isn’t to say that my life would be bad or unhappy, but it would be monumentally different.

When I thought about all of those things, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the way God has worked in our lives. Through a well-orchestrated five-year plan we were oblivious to, He led us to this crazy business that makes us laugh, cry, and want to kill each other {but only sometimes} with some of the most important people in our lives — our family. As tough as it gets, we’re in it together, and I feel like we’re exactly where we need to be.

So I don’t have cute outfits to share with you tonight, but I do have a major dose of perspective.

*{side note: Yes, I see dead people on a regular basis. No, I’m not used to it. I walk into the church/chapel/funeral home with the arrangement firmly planted in front of my face, and tell myself they’re napping}

• 2011: a recap « A Pretty Penny 01/01/2012 at 3:45 pm

[…] if we’d made the right choice in putting all of our eggs in one flowery basket. I had a big dose of perspective one afternoon while running deliveries, and I haven’t looked back […]

• Maria @ Orchard Bloom 08/06/2011 at 8:38 pm

I’ve just come across your blog for the first time. I love it! Is your dog a golden doodle?

• keiralennox 08/08/2011 at 1:00 pm

Why, yes he is! He’s our big baby (and I do mean big!)

• Maria @ Orchard Bloom 08/09/2011 at 8:10 am

I love golden doodles. I’m one of those crazy people that stops and stares every time I see one. Just waiting for the right time and place to get one of my own :)

• Angela Madathil 07/25/2011 at 10:53 am

It is comforting to know that God has a plan for us, so that we will get where we need to be rather than where we want to go.

• Rach @ This Italian Family 07/24/2011 at 5:46 pm

Hi! Anne from Wobisobi sent me your way and I’m glad she did. I love what you write here about how the unexpected directions our lives take, bring so much joy and blessing. Thanks for sharing! :)

• TSO 07/24/2011 at 4:20 pm

I Really like your blog and honestly you just made my night. First I love! the photograph of your adorable dog and second, your *side note cracked me up! I can’t stop laughing is like I can hear you actually say those words.

Any ways, glad you share a piece of your life with us -your loyal followers- and thank you for putting a smile on my face :D

Cheers,
    TSO OTM

• Ronnie 07/23/2011 at 7:08 pm

Keira, I hear ya!! Ive prayed the prayer of God please close all the wrong doors and open the right one and wondered what is happening because the “right” option hurts or looks waaaay different to what I thought it should :)
    Ps I’m in healthcare and have been at autopsies before and still find it unnerving being around the deceased if it makes you feel any better :) xo

• Sage 07/22/2011 at 1:27 pm

Great post. Things DO happen for a reason. You are such a positive, joyful person, and I believe that kind of attitude will draw more wonderful (and sometimes unexpected) things into your life. Thanks for sharing your gratitude! :)

• Linda Z 07/21/2011 at 11:45 pm

It seems like the floral business suits you so well! You are so artistic! Sorry it’s been a hard week! :( Hope you can destress this weekend and do something relaxing and fun!!

I’m almost 40, and I’ve never actually seen a dead person. You are brave!

• Isabella 07/21/2011 at 11:29 pm

Keira,
    I started loving your blog because of your outfits, but now I realize your true penchant is your way with words. Everything you write is so naturally funny and reflective! Thanks for sharing :)

• Cheryl parker 07/21/2011 at 10:14 pm

I have always believed that things happen for a reason. Life just seems to unfold in a magical way…sometimes it’s hard to recognize when we are up to our knees in it, but when something happens to give us that perspective it is amazing. This is something that always fills me with gratitude!
    Xo
    Cheryl

• Maya Nasr 07/21/2011 at 9:45 pm

Wow, and a great dose of perspective it is.
    It’s good to know things fit into place for people who have been in the situations I will be in in a year’s time [college graduate with a burning pocket].
    Thank you for sharing!

• Linda 07/21/2011 at 9:43 pm

Aww Keira! I am so proud of you. You are the cutest florist I know and I’m glad this career keeps you close to home and your family. And that Doak! There should be a children’s book about his (mis)adventures. :o)