Grand Theft Thrift

08/09/2011 17 Comments

Grand Theft Thrift

08/09/2011 17 Comments

me: “do you think this ledge can hold me?” husband: “uh, yeah. it’s concrete. how big do you think you are?”
Talbots shorts (thrifted) | Route 66 tank (Kmart clearance) | Antonio Milani leather espadrilles | BUILT laptop sleeve

I’m not one to brag, but some thrift haul shopping victories require a little personal horn-tooting. Last Saturday, I had the morning off, but Chad was working across town and I needed to stay close to the shop in case any last-minute deliveries came in. There’s a great thrift store right across the street from us, so I popped in to kill a little time.

It was buy-one-get-one-free day.

As if that wasn’t enough to send my little bargain shopping heart a’flutter, it appeared that a well-dressed petite lady with my size and style had just purged her closet and donated it all to this very thrift store. I walked {read: strutted with head held high} out of there with two pairs of White House Black Market crops, JCrew khaki bermudas, a pair of private label white jeans, these Talbots shorts, two lightweight sweaters, the perfect western denim button-up, a vintage coral Anne Klein silk blouse, and a pretty little aubergine one-piece swimsuit. Each item was dry cleaned and pressed, showed no signs of wear, and a few pieces even had the retail tags attached.

My grand total: $56. Toot-toot!

I left with a combination of dizzying bargainista endorphins and a strange lurking guilt, feeling like I’d just shoplifted this stash for the amount of cash I paid. Perhaps this is a testimony of good thrifting karma. I donate good things to this thrift store (which benefits the charities of a large catholic church in our community) and I get good things back. Possible?

• Malorie 11/18/2011 at 4:39 pm

Is this downtown at the restaurant “The Place” It looks SOOO familiar!
    Love your blog so much.

• Lauren 08/10/2011 at 12:20 pm

Wow! Great finds. In other news.. I am in love with your shoes! :)

• Jessica Zigenis 08/10/2011 at 8:51 am

Someday I’m going to be in your neighborhood and we will go thrifting and eat chocolate all day. Because I completely agree that we would be the best of friends if we lived near each other! Someday…

• Megan 08/09/2011 at 11:59 pm

Cute! Love the laughter in the photos :)

• Jeanna 08/09/2011 at 11:19 pm

Nice! Thrift stores in my area do NOT carry such fantastic things (or have such great sales!). Those sound like amazing finds!

• jackie 08/09/2011 at 11:07 pm

woah look at you go. i haven’t been thrifting in a while. my poor college student budget is too tight even for that. ha. but lucky you, finding all these fancy things. definitely thrift karma.

• jentine 08/09/2011 at 8:52 pm

Ha! I love that you just basically bought someone’s closet purge!
    Also, the bleached out pattern on the shirt from my thrift post is courtesy of Joe Fresh, not my skills…sadly.

• Cheryl parker 08/09/2011 at 6:40 pm

Great outfit! I love Thrifting! What a haul you got! Can’t wait to see it. And yes, it must absolutely be karma!

• Kate 08/09/2011 at 6:13 pm

This outfit is fabulous! And dang, that is quite the thrift store haul. I love finds like that. One day I walked into my favorite store and someone had just donated the most adorable dresses and skirts in my size. You bet I scooped them up.

• Allie 08/09/2011 at 3:17 pm

Wow what great finds you scored! Can’t wait to see how you style all of them!!

• atlantanative 08/09/2011 at 12:47 pm

That’s amazing! I hope to have similar luck tomorrow when I hit ups some thrift shops. Mama needs a silk shirt! :)

• Frannie Pantz 08/09/2011 at 11:25 am

I LOVE me a good thrift haul! Great scores! I can’t wait to see them all.

PS-love the convo with you and the hubby. LOL

• Linda Rieschel 08/09/2011 at 10:59 am

Hi! You look darling! I love your blog and I also love thrift-store shopping. For one thing it does help the community…and I feel much more creative putting an outfit together out of ‘thrift-finds’.

I also donate my nice things to these same stores. Karma, right? On any given day, when I feel very ‘put together’, I like to take stock of how much I paid for the entire outfit I’m wearing. It is usually somewhere around $100 for top, pants, shoes, purse, scarf, jewelry, etc. My outfits are usually a combination of a couple of new things (Ross) paired with thrift store finds. It’s so fun, and I always get compliments on my outfits. Sometimes I even share where I got everything! But only sometimes!

Best of all, I’m starting to see more and more young women in my favorite thrift stores, and they get just as excited as I do to find fabulous next-to-new bargains.

Thanks for getting the word out!

• lisa 08/09/2011 at 10:22 am

congrats on your haul! that’s so awesome!

• Cecilia Oviedo 08/09/2011 at 10:10 am

That’s a pretty laptop sleeve, so cute! Love how happy you look here :)

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

• soanthro 08/09/2011 at 9:27 am

SO jealous, I have never been good at thrift shopping! You look darling and made out with some incredible buys!!

• Sydney 08/09/2011 at 8:46 am

awesome thrifting score. If there were thrifting awards you would be wearing a shiny medal around your neck