breakfast of champions.

08/17/2011 11 Comments

breakfast of champions.

08/17/2011 11 Comments

Breakfast of Champions

For the last six months or so, a busy schedule of long days at the shop and the stresses (not all bad stresses!) of managing a business have been running me a little ragged. Pair that with a diet that mainly consisted of convenient fast food and more diet coke and sweet tea than a girl should drink in a lifetime, and I was starting to fizzle out fast. I’ve always eaten pretty clean and healthy, so my body was completely revolting against this new junk overload. I wasn’t sleeping well at night, and I spent every second of time off I could vegging on the couch or sleeping in my room with the curtains drawn. I knew something had to give…

Then about a month ago, I somehow stumbled across Angela’s blog, Oh She Glows. Specifically, this post. And the following weekend as I drug myself through the grocery store like a zombie, I remembered that post about Angela’s story that sounded so much like my own, and her road back to a healthy lifestyle through her “green monsters.” I swear I bought one of everything in the produce section that day, and my smoothie obsession began.

I’ve been whipping up all kinds of crazy concoctions in my blender ever since {most of which Chad won’t even try, and he will eat anything} and drinking at least two green monsters a day. I started feeling so much better, I decided to take it one step further and overhaul the rest of my diet — nothing radical or drastic, just stepping away from the familiar drive-thru paper bags, eating lots of kale and sweet potatoes, skipping the soda and empty carbs, and upping the amount of protein I take in every day. Believe me when I say, I’ve never felt better. My energy is back tenfold, and there are definitely some beauty benefits that go along with eating well.

If you’re not ready to take the plunge into drinking spinach and kale, start with this easy recipe that tastes more like a milkshake than a healthy breakfast! Toss it all in the blender and blend away until it’s smooth. Easy peasy.

1 frozen peeled banana

about 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt

1 cup almond milk (I prefer the unsweetened)

1 tbsp ground flax

a dash of cinnamon

1 packet Carnation Instant Breakfast in Classic French Vanilla No Sugar Added

ice

• Eclectic Flair 09/16/2011 at 11:56 am

Thank you so much for posting this, Keira! I started my green monster frenzy three weeks ago (thanks to this post!) and I’m still having a GM every morning for breakfast! I just posted about it on my blog and of course I referenced this post too! I already got my sister and her hubby to join in the GM movement, hopefully my post will inspire more people to try it, just like your post inspired me!

Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

• Mercy 08/30/2011 at 12:51 pm

I think this is JUST what I need to combat my low energy and the frustration of trying to find something delicious and nutritious to eat without having to eat the same thing everyday. I’m going to head out today and get some ingredients and I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the post!

Also…I want to confess that I just started a blog last month and you have already made a cameo. =) I wrote about who I am “currently crushing” on. It was YOU and clothedmuch.com. Just figured I’d let you know!

• Katie 08/24/2011 at 3:48 pm

Love Oh She Glows! I’ve made a lot of her recipes! She has a recipe for healthy cookies that is soooo good. Just a note about the Carnation Instant Breakfast – it says ‘no sugar added’ but if you look at the ingredients it has sucralose, which is a dealbreaker for me. Not trying to buzzkill (and maybe you don’t care about sucralose anyway!) but it is a major pet peeve of mine that a lot of products now make it look like a product is sweetened naturally to appeal to consumers but it really is sweetened artificially.

• keiralennox 08/24/2011 at 4:44 pm

Hmmm… good to know, Katie! With all nutrients in the other great stuff you can toss in a smoothie, you probably don’t need it anyway!

• Katie 08/24/2011 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for responding! There are lots of protein powders out there that have no artificial sweeteners if you want the extra boost! Just came across your blog today from a commenter’s link on jezebel to your newsprint mani. Nice posts – I’ll definitely be back :)

• Kellie 08/22/2011 at 2:08 pm

I’ve been on a smoothie kick for the past month or so myself! I started out just using frozen fruit and low-calorie orange “drink,” but I have since graduated to a combination of fresh and frozen fruit, non-fat yogurt, and CARROTS in my smoothie. Nothing better than kicking your day off with a bunch of nutrients, cheers!

• Keely (@casualchickiki) 08/19/2011 at 11:05 pm

This sounds delicious! I’m going to try it. I’ve been having green smoothies for breakfast every morning: banana, fruit of choice, spinach, ice. Yummy!

• lyndsay! 08/17/2011 at 2:04 pm

Yum! Totally going to try it : )

• Anonymous 08/17/2011 at 1:26 pm

YUM! I eat a similiar breakfast every morning, but sometimes switch the yogurt for oatmeal, but with all of the same delicious fixins’ you mentioned! It’s super healthy and keeps me energized throughout the day! Thanks for sharing

• Sydney 08/17/2011 at 1:19 pm

That sounds AMAZING! SO excited to try that! It will be a perfect snack on my way to classes come September.
    Great blog tip, I will be checking it out for sure!

• Jessica Zigenis 08/17/2011 at 12:11 pm

Oh my lovely friend, we are so similar. I began a health overhaul a few months ago, due to similar reasons, and I’ve been trying to incorporate smoothies every morning too! My main problem was that it didn’t keep me full long enough, but thanks for sharing the link to Oh She Glows. She had some useful tips and “fillers” to add in. Now I’ll try again! xo