every girl needs: a denim shirt

thrifted denim shirt | White House Black Market khakis (secondhand) | Nine West belt | Lucky Brand Emmie ballet flats | Gianni Bini handbag
easy-peasy updo {tutorial coming soon!}

Looking for a denim shirt to call your own? I suggest scouring the racks of your local thrift store to find one that’s perfectly weathered and worn-in. Or you could drop $50 on one from Gap and call it a day. After a seemingly endless and fruitless search, I finally found this one a few weeks ago for about $4. (Remember, the key to thrifting success is patience, friends!)

My favorite thing about this little western wonder: the brand name. Roughneck. I clearly don’t have the cowgirl street cred to wear this thing with anything other than my classic girly basics. I bet when the previous owner picked out this tough shirt at the western store, she never imagined it would someday get paired with sateen khakis and pearlescent ballet flats.

And the circle of life style continues…

1. Katerine Love wrote:

so beautiful fashion I like it, this girl looks wonderful
    Indian Pharmacy

Posted 11.30.11 Reply
  2. So super cute!

Posted 10.4.11 Reply
  3. I love your denim shirt! I also am in love with your purse, it goes with the whole outfit perfectly. Very simple, yet it’s still flattering and classy.

Posted 10.3.11 Reply
  4. Lexi wrote:

Ok so 1. I love your blog. Kristen (from “For the Love of God” was so right :). and 2. I love denim shirts!! I just bought one from H&M but now don’t know what pants/skirts to wear with it…I certainly don’t want to wear it with jeans haha This is a very cute way to wear it!! I love!

Posted 10.2.11 Reply
  5. I love your hair in this pic!

Posted 9.29.11 Reply
  6. susan wrote:

can you pleeeeeeeeeeeease post that updo how-to?

Posted 9.26.11 Reply
  7. Denim shirts are lke my favorite clothing item of all time! Love yours! I have about 5 of them all from the thrift store too!

Lindsey Turner

Posted 9.26.11 Reply
  8. Marisa wrote:

This outfit is so cute! Polished and well put together. I am so impressed that you found that shirt for $4! Wow, I obviously need to get back into thrifting…so worth it!

Posted 9.24.11 Reply
  9. kelly wrote:

i think the ‘cowgirl chic’ look suits you well!

I never thought to try a thrift store for a jean shirt..(why I didn’t, I have no idea) That’ll be on my weeks to-do list!

Posted 9.23.11 Reply
  10. you look great and can’t beat $4! love the bag and your hair. :)

Posted 9.23.11 Reply
  11. Love it! You do look a little cowgirlish, but in a totally good way. Cowgirl chic, maybe?

I wrote a post awhile back about my recently-developed love for denim shirts. Check it out: http://chillairandperfume.blogspot.com/2011/08/hooray-for-chambray.html

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  12. Manding wrote:

omg. perfect. i also own two denim button downs, both my dad’s hand-me-downs :) love amazing denim finds :D

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  13. rhiannon wrote:

love that denim shirt and your hair looks fantastic!

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  14. Kate wrote:

Hi Keira! Random question – what color are your Emmie flats? I’ve been looking to get a pair but can’t decide on a color and I love the nude look of yours. Do you remember which one it is?

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  15. Katy wrote:

I look at them longingly every time I see one in the stores, but am not sure I could pull it off without looking like a farmer. This look is absolutely perfect on you! Maybe now I need to get more serious about a denim shirt and try to emulate you. – Katy

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  16. Anne wrote:

I’ve been trying to have patience with my own thrift/consignment store denim/chambray shirt search and almost broke down and ordered one online… but your $4 find inspires me to keep going :)
    Love the hair too!

Posted 9.22.11 Reply
  17. Robin wrote:

My chambray top is without a doubt one of the most remixed items in my closet. Congrats on the completion of your search!

Posted 9.21.11 Reply
  18. I could not possibly live without my shirt, they are so versatile! This is a great outftit, both the shirt and khakis are classic and chic and never go out of style, love it!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Posted 9.21.11 Reply
  19. crazy true story. love how what goes around will come around again!

love your watch btw!

xoxo

Posted 9.21.11 Reply
  20. You look totally like a roughneck in this shirt. A thrift-shopping roughneck. Those are the roughest kind.

Posted 9.21.11 Reply

@keiralennox

• Hey, girl! 👋🏻 We have a handful of these hand-painted face vases available at @lasaterflowers that are perfect for fresh flowers, succulents, or even a catch-all bowl for keys and hair ties. (We all have one of those somewhere in our home; it may as well be cute. 😉) #floraldesign #shopsmall #summerblooms #flashesofdelight
  • I jumped on board with @kendieveryday’s #30x30remix! For the next month, I’ll mix-and-match 30 pieces from my wardrobe into 30 weekday outfits and share them in weekly roundups on the blog.

My first week of remixed outfits + my thoughts on the challenge are in today’s post at keiralennox.com. 👖
#capsulewardrobe #instastyle #ootd
  • Back to work after a relaxing weekend! But with *zero* tan to show for it; I’m never not fully-shaded and SPF’ed, wearing a giant sun hat and some kind of mumu situation on a beach.
☀️😂 👵🏼
  • Found our new favorite beach getaway spot this weekend! 🌴 #lovefl
  • If anyone needs me I’ll be at the...🍹
  • Just when I thought I couldn’t love @rafanatural coconut oil bar soap more, I started using them with these natural fiber ‘soap sacks’ and leveled up.
ICYMI, my latest blog post is a roundup of 10 random things I’m loving right now, inspired by all the great finds on @things.i.bought.and.liked. (And doing my best @mariahlleonard photography impression with this afternoon light.) ✨
Check it out at keiralennox.com.