manic[ure] monday: plum polka dots

09/26/2011 13 Comments

manic[ure] monday: plum polka dots

09/26/2011 13 Comments

plumpolkadots

As if I needed another distraction from all the work I should be doing, my newest fixation pastime is cruising Pinterest for cute nail art ideas. In my dreams, I always have perfectly polished pinkies adorned with pretty little flowers and maybe even some ambitious pattern mixing. In real life, they’re usually splashed with a couple of coats of Essie polish in a vain attempt to cover up the flower stains.

My newsprint mani tutorial is far and away the most popular post I’ve written. Ever. Which leads me to believe that you ladies really dig inspiration for fun and easy DIY nail techniques. I aim to please, so let’s get this nail party started with the first edition of the {hopefully weekly, but we’re not making any promises} Manic[ure] Monday series!

Last night, I sat on my bed with my Caboodle full of polishes and went.to.town. I painted and repainted my nails for hours {my room still smells like acetone} and finished with this plummy polka dot creation. I started with a coat of Essie First Base, followed by two coats of Devil’s Advocate. Then, using the flat end of a toothpick — the fancy kind you stick in pigs-in-blankets and other classy hor d’oeuvres — I dotted on some cute polka dots using Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Gilty Pleasure. I sealed it all up with another coat of First Base, and voila!

What are your favorite nail trends for fall? Are there any techniques you just can’t wrap your head around and would like to see a step-by-step?

• Amy 10/03/2011 at 8:44 am

super cute nails

• spaciety 09/28/2011 at 3:20 pm

I love love love this idea! I am all about the polka dots and the fact that you just put it on a few nails made it all the more appealing. I am going to try this look (but I highly doubt it will turn out as well).

• keiralennox 09/28/2011 at 6:05 pm

It takes a little practice to get the polka dots down, but you’ll get it! Just dip the flat end of the toothpick in the polish bottle and let the first drops of polish drip back in the bottle before you dot. Otherwise your polka dots will look more like polka globs ;-)

• jackie 09/27/2011 at 8:30 pm

i’m definitely trying to keep my nails photo ready cause i’m expecting a proposal soon (!) so this is a great little tip. thanks a bunch :)

• keiralennox 09/28/2011 at 6:03 pm

Aww!! I love this :) I remember when Chad proposed, the first thing that came to my mind (well maybe not the FIRST thing, but it was a close second) was, “oh, I wish I had a cute manicure!”

• Cecilia Oviedo 09/26/2011 at 11:20 pm

So cute! I really need to recreate this nail look, I’ve been obsessing with the glittery nail for some weeks, think I’m ready to rock some polka dots!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

• Danica 09/26/2011 at 9:43 pm

Love the polka dots! So cute! I’ll definitely need to try it. :)

• rhiannon 09/26/2011 at 7:42 pm
  • A Little Petite 09/26/2011 at 6:19 pm

Love those nails! the polka dots add a nice fun touch!

• Anne 09/26/2011 at 3:30 pm

Fun! And did you get such a nice nail shape all by yourself?! I seriously need to work on my filing skills…

• keiralennox 09/26/2011 at 5:11 pm

Anne, that’s a great idea for the next post in this series!

• Sage 09/26/2011 at 3:10 pm

Ooo, so pretty! Your nails look ready for a birthday party. I like that you added the dots to only a few nails. I rarely paint my nails, but maybe I should start. :)

• Lindsey A. Turner 09/26/2011 at 2:46 pm

We just got the MInx nail stickers in at the salon I work at! They are pretty fun!

Lindsey Turner