letting go…

10/13/2011 23 Comments

letting go…

10/13/2011 23 Comments

French Connection dress (a pretty penny, available online) | Anne Klein scarf | Gianni Bini bag | Target boots (2009) | Payless knee socks

Being a designer consignment boutique owner is proving much more difficult than I thought. Not because of the long hours processing inventory or the awkward convos with customers trying to consign their suits from 1982 {and I don’t mean in the cute vintage sense}. No, it’s the nagging temptation to keep 80% of everything that comes in, and take it straight home to my closet.

In business school, they teach us that the number one goal of any business is to be profitable [duh]. I have to remind myself of this every day when I hesitantly stock the racks (and online shop!) with all of the cute stuff I want to keep all for myself.

• […] few months ago I shared my struggle with letting go. When cute things come into your shop every day, the temptation to buy everything for yourself can […]

• mysocalledvintage 10/31/2011 at 12:25 am

The dress is very cute. I have a hard time selling vintage because often I am tempted to keep pieces for me. And then I justify it because I tell myself if someone compliments me, it’s an advertising opportunity…

• Christine 10/27/2011 at 12:53 pm

I love that dress! and the way you have your hair up goes perfectly with the whole look!
    work-it-blog.blogspot.com

• golden girl. « A Pretty Penny 10/18/2011 at 2:30 pm

[…] onto my behind}. These just came into the shop over the weekend, and they’re kind of perfect. Letting go is hard to do. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → denim, fall, […]

• Emily Keen 10/16/2011 at 8:19 am

That has to be hard!! I would be in the same boat as you, for sure!

And that dress is amazing. I seriously love the way you styled it.

• Alyssa Blair Wilke 10/15/2011 at 11:05 pm

i always wonder how owners of cute shops are able to not keep one of everything they buy for their store!

xo

• T Crane 10/15/2011 at 6:07 pm

I love your boots!! Are they Mossimo? The whole outfit looks adorable, like always!

• Kori Chapa 10/15/2011 at 10:34 am

I love your scarf! Where did you get it?

• M. (formerly SFE) 10/14/2011 at 11:52 am

I love the textures, patterns, and colour combo on you. In fact, I might steal them. Especially that pumpkin bag against the browns, whites, and blacks–or is the darker shade on your dress navy?

• […] “it list” from sfgirlbybay I love this top Maje Boutique: a store in Paris with an amazing fall and winter collection Cute outfit for fall […]

• Tori Thompson 10/14/2011 at 12:46 am

Such a cute Fall look!

• dressupsandmessups 10/13/2011 at 11:51 pm

This dress is SO fun. I like the way you paired it. I would never be able to do what you do. I’d take home so many things. You are so gorgeous btw. I love your eyes.

<3 Rachel

• Cecilia Oviedo 10/13/2011 at 11:33 pm

I could never have a store, I’d be broke! Love your dress doll!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

• Just FabuLESS Blog (@JustFabuLESS) 10/13/2011 at 10:31 pm

i love this dress! and its french connection for less than $40! what?! you are not making it easy for me to keep to the 100 Day Stretch! (100 days without shopping. crazy i know)

• Chaundi 10/13/2011 at 8:22 pm

I am loving that orange bag! I have such a thing for brightly colored bags! This week, I’m carrying a brightly colored turquoise bag :)

• Anne 10/13/2011 at 7:26 pm

Beautiful girl. !!!

• chill air & perfume (@chill_air) 10/13/2011 at 7:12 pm

The print on that dress is SO CUTE. (Sorry, not trying to tempt you to keep it!)

• Jeannee 10/13/2011 at 5:07 pm

Love the dress!!!

• Mariel 10/13/2011 at 4:31 pm

you are so gorgeous! you always remind me of a classic Hollywood star.

kisses!

• Frannie Pantz 10/13/2011 at 3:34 pm

That would be a very hard thing to do indeed. Every time I go into my favorite consignment shops I ask the owners how they part with such beauty. You are a brave soul indeed! Luckily, you have tons of cute stuff already, like this adorable dress!

• SWFTerra 10/13/2011 at 3:22 pm

I don’t think I could have that conversation. Yeah, uh… I don’t want this. Kthnxbai. Style is so subjective. I’m sure some women are certain their pieces of garbage are worth something. You’re a brave lady. Not to mention, hanging around new to you duds all day. I’d be in serious trouble.

• Loren 10/13/2011 at 3:14 pm

This dress is beautiful on you, I understand why you are having trouble getting ride of it. If it were my size I’d totally go for it. Love your scarf as well!

• Stefanie 10/13/2011 at 3:09 pm

I can’t imagine how hard it must be! You look so beautiful here and I love long socks with boots!