letting go…

French Connection dress (a pretty penny, available online) | Anne Klein scarf | Gianni Bini bag | Target boots (2009) | Payless knee socks

Being a designer consignment boutique owner is proving much more difficult than I thought. Not because of the long hours processing inventory or the awkward convos with customers trying to consign their suits from 1982 {and I don’t mean in the cute vintage sense}. No, it’s the nagging temptation to keep 80% of everything that comes in, and take it straight home to my closet.

In business school, they teach us that the number one goal of any business is to be profitable [duh]. I have to remind myself of this every day when I hesitantly stock the racks (and online shop!) with all of the cute stuff I want to keep all for myself.

1. The dress is very cute. I have a hard time selling vintage because often I am tempted to keep pieces for me. And then I justify it because I tell myself if someone compliments me, it’s an advertising opportunity…

Posted 10.31.11 Reply
  2. Christine wrote:

I love that dress! and the way you have your hair up goes perfectly with the whole look!
    work-it-blog.blogspot.com

Posted 10.27.11 Reply
  3. Emily Keen wrote:

That has to be hard!! I would be in the same boat as you, for sure!

And that dress is amazing. I seriously love the way you styled it.

Posted 10.16.11 Reply
  4. i always wonder how owners of cute shops are able to not keep one of everything they buy for their store!

xo

Posted 10.15.11 Reply
  5. T Crane wrote:

I love your boots!! Are they Mossimo? The whole outfit looks adorable, like always!

Posted 10.15.11 Reply
  6. Kori Chapa wrote:

I love your scarf! Where did you get it?

Posted 10.15.11 Reply
  7. I love the textures, patterns, and colour combo on you. In fact, I might steal them. Especially that pumpkin bag against the browns, whites, and blacks–or is the darker shade on your dress navy?

Posted 10.14.11 Reply
  8. Such a cute Fall look!

Posted 10.14.11 Reply
  9. This dress is SO fun. I like the way you paired it. I would never be able to do what you do. I’d take home so many things. You are so gorgeous btw. I love your eyes.

<3 Rachel

Posted 10.13.11 Reply
  10. I could never have a store, I’d be broke! Love your dress doll!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Posted 10.13.11 Reply
  11. i love this dress! and its french connection for less than $40! what?! you are not making it easy for me to keep to the 100 Day Stretch! (100 days without shopping. crazy i know)

12. Chaundi wrote:

I am loving that orange bag! I have such a thing for brightly colored bags! This week, I’m carrying a brightly colored turquoise bag :)

13. Anne wrote:

Beautiful girl. !!!

Posted 10.13.11 Reply
  14. The print on that dress is SO CUTE. (Sorry, not trying to tempt you to keep it!)

15. Jeannee wrote:

Love the dress!!!

16. Mariel wrote:

you are so gorgeous! you always remind me of a classic Hollywood star.

kisses!

Posted 10.13.11 Reply
  17. That would be a very hard thing to do indeed. Every time I go into my favorite consignment shops I ask the owners how they part with such beauty. You are a brave soul indeed! Luckily, you have tons of cute stuff already, like this adorable dress!

18. SWFTerra wrote:

I don’t think I could have that conversation. Yeah, uh… I don’t want this. Kthnxbai. Style is so subjective. I’m sure some women are certain their pieces of garbage are worth something. You’re a brave lady. Not to mention, hanging around new to you duds all day. I’d be in serious trouble.

19. Loren wrote:

This dress is beautiful on you, I understand why you are having trouble getting ride of it. If it were my size I’d totally go for it. Love your scarf as well!

20. Stefanie wrote:

I can’t imagine how hard it must be! You look so beautiful here and I love long socks with boots!