there’s a sock in my hair!

10/19/2011 21 Comments

there’s a sock in my hair!

10/19/2011 21 Comments

IMG_6187 IMG_6190

Jones New York floral button-up (a pretty penny, available online) | Simply Vera Vera Wang paneled leggings | Seychelles Gypsy sandals

A trouser sock, that is. One that long ago lost its mate to an unfortunate mauling by a Goldendoodle. I don’t know why I kept it in my sock drawer for all this time, but I’m glad I did…

If you follow the facebook page, you know that I recently discovered the “sock bun” — an easy breezy updo that takes about two minutes and zero bobby pins to create. Spurred by this pin, I scoured the Internet for a how-to. I’ll save you the work:  Check out this video to see how to rock the sock yourself! {Keep it in overnight for curls!}

• […] bisou bisou sweater dress, Decree utility jacket, and floral ASSETS by Sara Blakely Shaper Tights in Floral c/o jcpenney | Target boots (2009) | sock bun! […]

• Lagelle (@Lagelle) 10/31/2011 at 4:57 pm

I love that blouse, I found ur blog via SWF <3

Tye

• layer cake « A Pretty Penny 10/31/2011 at 12:03 pm

[…] with cherry red lips. And a sock bun. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → casual, […]

• Jackie 10/29/2011 at 1:14 am

this is how we used to make our buns for dance recitals! they turn out perfect every time. and yours is gorgeous as an updo. fancy fancy :)

• Kate 10/22/2011 at 7:24 pm

I keep meaning to try the sock bun! I’ve done the “carrie bun” before but with lots of teasing and hair spray, haha, so a sock sounds much better for the hair! It looks adorable on you, and I am loving this outfit! Oversized blouses, especially in a pretty print, are my weakness!

• Tori Thompson 10/21/2011 at 1:19 am

AHH!! I just learned this trick!! I cannot believe I’ve never heard of a sock bun?!? Looks great!! I love those pants too!

www.mythriftychic.blogspot.com

• Linda 10/20/2011 at 10:36 pm

Thanks for sharing the link, Keira! My hair never stays up in a bun for very long. Now I’m itching to cut one of M’s socks (not mine, hehe) and try the sock bun. Your hair looks so pretty in it.

• Virginie's Cinema 10/20/2011 at 10:25 pm

I adore the sock bun!

And those kick ass pants too!

Virginie ♥

• jg 10/20/2011 at 8:29 pm

Thank you for sharing …this is the best idea ever for taming my mane…the video was super helpful

• chill air & perfume (@chill_air) 10/20/2011 at 5:37 pm

1. LOVE that shirt.

2. I am so intrigued by this sock bun. I’m going to try it asap!

• SWFTerra 10/20/2011 at 4:59 pm

I remember a gal in my ballet class would always have the perfect bun. Very much like the one seen here. While she had a handy dandy little tool that did this, I much prefer a simpler, and cheaper, option.

In short, I LOVE THIS AND WILL DO THIS.

• Ashley Laabs (@alaabs1) 10/20/2011 at 9:40 am

Love the sock bun. I’m trying to grow my hair out — and in that inbetween stage where it would be so lovely to just chop it all off — so this is great motivation for an easy hair do once it gets long enough. Thanks!

• Anonymous 10/20/2011 at 9:23 am

WOW! ur bun looks perfect, love it

• rhiannon 10/20/2011 at 9:09 am

love the bun and those leggings!

• Elizabeth 10/20/2011 at 8:40 am

Looks perfect on your hair, great job! Love this edgier outfit for you too! Looking great!

• Kara (@DestinedForNow) 10/20/2011 at 3:27 am

Love sock buns! It looks cute on you.

• Cecilia Oviedo 10/19/2011 at 10:39 pm

I do the sock bun too! ha ha It’s the best thing human race has ever invented, after the internet of course, you look lovely!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

• Alyssa Blair Wilke 10/19/2011 at 9:51 pm

love your leggings. and i need to try the sock bun! lots of people have and they all seem to love it!

xo

• Jeannee 10/19/2011 at 8:04 pm

Love the hair, the OOTD, and that Goldendoodle!

• lovetwentysomething 10/19/2011 at 7:14 pm

I was so excited when I found out you could curl your hair with no heat and A SOCK. I tried it myself and got cute little flippy ends but no real curls since my hair’s not quite long enough for all the curls. I wonder if you could use a normal scrunchie to get tighter curls? Anyone have a time machine to the early 90’s?