manic[ure] monday: “something borrowed”

Last night I suffered through watched Something Borrowed on DVD. I heard all the terrible reviews, but being the big Kate Hudson fan I am, I thought I needed to see it for myself. Unfortunately, I can’t get those two hours back, but I did spot a cute mani on Kate in one scene. It was a modern french manicure with a beige base, black tips, and a little bit of gold.

Cue the lineup!

Essie all-in-one base | Sally Hansen Insta-Dri polish in Beige Blast | Essie polish in Devils Advocate | Sinful Colors nail art polish

Start with clean nails and a thin coat of base.

Next, apply two coats of beige polish to the entire nail. I used a fast-drying formula to try to save a little time. Letting the polish dry completely is crucial. When you think the beige is dry, give it 15 more minutes, just to be sure. Trust me on this one.

IMG_6705 IMG_6708

After the beige polish is bone dry, apply french manicure strips to each nail. I’ve seen a lot of bloggers use scotch tape, and I’m sure that works, too! I just like the shape of these strips — a little more rounded than straight across. Then carefully apply the black  to the tips above each strip.

IMG_6712 IMG_6714

More drying time! Give your pinkies lots of time to dry completely, otherwise your tips won’t be straight when you remove the strip. And then all that time you spent letting the first two coats dry will all be in vain. When the dark polish is no longer tacky, oh-so-carefully remove each strip. Don’t panic if some of your beige base comes off with the strip — just touch it up.

IMG_6720 IMG_6730

Adding the gold line is the trickiest part. My hands shake like a leaf when I try to do any kind of close detail work, and the perfectionist in me had a tough time accepting that an immaculate hairline gold detail just wasn’t in the cards. Instead, I used the old liquid eyeliner trick: Make small dashes across the nail right underneath the black tip, then connect all of the dashes together to make a smooth line. Voila!

I sealed everything up with two good coats of the all-in-one base (which actually helped mask some of the imperfections). In all, this manicure took almost as long as sitting through the movie. But unlike the latter, I had something to show for it when I was finished!

1. Love this mani and your blog! Can’t wait to see more! check me out @ ohmyoldsoul.wordpress.com

<3Jess

Posted 10.1.14 Reply
  2. Panache wrote:

Really, All of awesome collection. Presently, i am using One 3″ More Inches by Michael Van Clarke on very cheap rate from Panache Cosmetics.

Posted 5.30.14 Reply
  3. Love this!

Posted 5.28.14 Reply
  4. Mirror of Health & Fashion wrote:

love it

Posted 2.16.14 Reply
  5. venatrix wrote:

I liked that movie :) great idea!

Posted 9.28.13 Reply
  6. Sallie wrote:

Simple but professional. I like.

Posted 4.17.13 Reply
  7. Amy wrote:

Gorgeous nails, tried myself and with the stickers moved them just below the black tip and with a fine brush followed the edge of the sticker, really helps to get a neat line because I too shake like mad! x

Posted 1.14.13 Reply
  8. Courtney Hartmann wrote:

I love the manicure – the gold does look tricky though! I want to try this holiday nail look also with glitter. :) http://www.taaz.com/trends/nails/best-holiday-nail-polishes/-QNXn10aTSdLqbKrhdSBGtry9A6pPgqR.html

Posted 12.23.11 Reply
  9. That one asian wrote:

hey now! I liked that movie :) haha, great idea!

Posted 12.3.11 Reply
  10. BridgetBishop wrote:

Looks so pretty! Although, couldn’t you do the gold first, and let that dry completely, then put tape over that so you could just do the black over the gold? I’m less of a nail perfectionist because I do not possess the steady hand it requires, so one coat of black would satisfy me. Awesome post! <33

Posted 11.30.11 Reply
  11. totally love its

Posted 11.25.11 Reply
  12. Anonymous wrote:

I totally love it

Posted 11.25.11 Reply
  13. TJ wrote:

Your nails looks beautiful

Posted 11.22.11 Reply
  14. Really cute mani! I wouldn’t have thought to do the double tip. It’s a nice look, and a cheap way to spice up an everyday look.

Posted 11.19.11 Reply
  15. Aaria wrote:

Wow beautiful…. i really like your nails…. looks really cool..thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  16. Nicole wrote:

That looks fantastic!

Posted 11.14.11 Reply
  17. Jessica wrote:

Stumbled on your page, I love your post! What a great look, I love the gold line under the black tip. Can’t wait to try this one!!

Posted 11.14.11 Reply
  18. kerri3lyss wrote:

I like, yo.

Posted 11.12.11 Reply
  19. Vedette wrote:

I loves these nails :) theyre really classy looking but at the same time theyre really fun looking too. I cannot wait to try this out. thanks for the tutuorial!

Posted 11.10.11 Reply
  20. Anonymous wrote:

you’re nails are perfect! this is a great idea. nicely donee!

Posted 11.9.11 Reply
  21. Maria wrote:

Indeed… The touch of gold is gorgeous and really shakes things up!

Posted 11.9.11 Reply
  22. I wish I could do that to my nails, they look beautiful :-)

Posted 11.8.11 Reply
  23. Very pretty! And thanks for the heads-up on that movie…I guess I won’t be renting that ;-)

Posted 11.4.11 Reply
  24. Anonymous wrote:

Very cute!

Posted 11.4.11 Reply
  25. Anonymous wrote:

Very pretty. You could have done the gold with the tape on and then moved the tape so it covered the line and painted black over it if you wanted the gold to be a perfect line.

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  26. gorgeous :) xx

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  27. Steff wrote:

I love this! What brand of strips did you use? I seem to have bad luck with those, but the ones you used look like they work great!

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  28. Stephanie wrote:

I read the book and loved it. The movie was good, but only because I read the book. I can see why some people wouldn’t of liked it as much. I find that since I loved the book so much, it would have taken a lot to ruin the movie for me lol. Anyways, gorgeous nails! I’ll have to try this one when mine grow a little more.

Posted 11.3.11 Reply
  29. lyddiegal wrote:

Yeah… something borrowed was quite painful. Especially since the book was wonderful… but I have to say this manni is quite adorable, i’ll have to try it out!!

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  30. Laura wrote:

Gorgeous nails! Grr I need to make time for myself to do my nails! Thanks so much for the fun idea!

alittlebitoflacquer.blogspot.com

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  31. Amy wrote:

super cute

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  32. Millie wrote:

Love the manicure!! And yes, I agree. Something Borrowed was absolutely awful. I was so disappointed! (and bored)

Posted 11.2.11 Reply
  33. Oh my, yes that movie was horrible. John Krasinski was easily the best thing about it.

On a more positive note, I LOVE the mani and will for sure be trying it soon! :)

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  34. Becky wrote:

Ohh love it!!! Your nails, not the movie ;)

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  35. Whoa, I could never pull that off myself. Maybe on my left hand, but my poor right hand would look a hot mess! It’s a lovely look, though. I’ll have to keep that in mind for the one time a year I get my nails professionally done.

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  36. Gorgeous! I need to stop biting my nails :/

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  37. Very lovely !!

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  38. Martina wrote:

Next time, do a gold tip first and then cover with the black. :)

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  39. Stefanie wrote:

The touch of gold is gorgeous and really shakes things up!

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  40. Wow don’t think I’ve ever seen similar mani, love blue and gold together!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Posted 11.1.11 Reply
  41. Lisa wrote:

Your nails look really good! Mine never turn out that well when I’m doing just one color. :) guess I’m not patient enough. You rock!

Posted 10.31.11 Reply
  42. Joanne wrote:

I’m sorry you didn’t like the movie. Try the book, its really good! And I love this, soo chic but understated. You have gorg nails btw:)

Posted 10.31.11 Reply
  43. Sydney wrote:

love it! What a great idea! I agree with you about the movie, terrible haha

Posted 10.31.11 Reply
  44. LOVE this mani! Such a modern twist on a classic look. Definitely need to try this!

Posted 10.31.11 Reply

@keiralennox

• We love a 5:30pm cocktail date so we can be home on the couch watching ‘Stranger Things’ by 7:00. 👵🏼👴🏻 #turnup #friyay #kindachill
  • Fiddle game strong at @nplus1coffee! Look how happy this lady is in her little spot of sunshine. ☺️☀️ #shoplocal #urbanjungle #crazyplantpeople #fiddleleaffig
  • Regram from @lasaterflowers :: The prettiest pile of ‘Quicksand’ roses from a wedding a few weeks ago. They’re a favorite around here. 💕
  • Some days I have my sh*t together; some days I have to get ready to go out to dinner on my office floor with a mirror propped against the wall.
  • Can’t make a downtown Bartow delivery without popping into @rafanatural’s beautiful shop to restock my coconut bar soap stash; ‘Relaxation’ for me, ‘Sandalwood’ for the husband. 🛁 #shopsmall #shoplocal #rafanatural
  • #mondaymotivation courtesy of this neighborhood truck on our morning walk. 😉