manic[ure] monday: gradient effect

11/07/2011 19 Comments

manic[ure] monday: gradient effect

11/07/2011 19 Comments

I fell in love with gradient manis last year, when photos of Lauren Conrad sporting them started popping up all over the style interwebs. The good news: you don’t need five different bottles of polish to pull this look off. Keep reading for a simple how-to!

IMG_7084 IMG_7090

You’ll need:

– one nail polish in the color of your choice (I used O.P.I.’s Malaga Wine)

– white nail polish (I picked up a little bottle of nail art polish for $1.99 at the drugstore)

– a good base/top coat

– nail polish remover

– a clean polish brush (use one from an old bottle of polish or a sample, and clean with nail polish remover)

– a small orange stick or toothpick

– parchment paper

Step 1: Start with clean nails, and a thin coat of base. When the base is dry, paint both of your thumb nails with the original color.

Step 2: Drop a few large drops of the original color onto parchment paper…

IMG_7092 IMG_7093

… And slowly add drops of white polish until you reach your desired gradient effect. The first color you make will be the color for your pointer fingers. For a more subtle gradient, use less white; for a more drastic gradient, add more white.

IMG_7096 IMG_7097

Step 3: Using a small orange stick or toothpick, carefully mix the white into the original color. Do this gently, or you’ll get a lot of air bubbles in the polish.

IMG_7100 IMG_7104

Step 4: Using a clean polish brush (I used one from an old sample bottle of O.P.I. top coat, and cleaned it with nail polish remover before I got started) apply the new color to both of your pointer fingers. While they dry, soak the polish brush in a capful of nail polish remover to remove the color and get it clean and ready for the next finger.

IMG_7108 IMG_7113

Repeat steps 2-4 three more times for each set of fingers (left and right), adding more white each time to make lighter and lighter shades. Seal the entire manicure with a good top coat.

• gina4star 06/04/2013 at 10:05 pm

Oh I really like it! What a great idea!! :)

• […] Gradient Effect by A Pretty […]

• Courtney Hartmann 04/29/2012 at 5:17 pm

I like the pics with the tutorial. Very cool. If you have more to share, we’d love to see what you have to show us about nails at Taaz.com.

• Betrose Given 01/06/2012 at 1:42 am

Newport Beach Opening – Bellacures

The Bellacures Newport Beach grand opening is Jan. 12. Stop in and get $10 off your service (301 Marine Ave. Suite B – Newport Beach) ! You can also like Bellacures on FB http://www.facebook.com/Bellacures to win a free manicure a month for a year! .

• Betrose Given 01/06/2012 at 1:20 am

Studio City Promotion – Bellacures

You can win a $500 gift card to Bellacures Nail Salon by visiting their Studio City Location! See their Facebook page for more details: http://www.facebook.com/Bellacures?sk=app_208195102528120

• Bellacures 11/17/2011 at 1:59 am

Wow that is awesome!I I just love fashion nails and I love this post! I’m sure you’ll like this too. Bellacures Nail Salon is offering a $15 coupon for liking them on Facebook. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/Bellacures?sk=app_174961479209942

• Daily Jo Haiku 11/14/2011 at 5:59 pm

What a fantastic idea! I like the subtley of it. I don’t paint my nails often, but I might try this on my toenails!

• CiCi 11/11/2011 at 3:20 pm

So cute! Gonna try it this weekend :-)

• Chelsea @ Maritime Shopaholic 11/08/2011 at 9:37 pm

Very cool! I love this and will definitely have to try it sometime soon!

• ellenkaminagakura 11/08/2011 at 9:10 pm

So cool ! I loved your idea !

Xoxo from Japan

• laura 11/08/2011 at 12:27 pm

awesome tutorial. such a fun, versatile look!

• typefashion 11/07/2011 at 9:25 pm

Cute and Creative !

xoxo

• Melina 11/07/2011 at 8:31 pm

Ahh, I always wondered how to do this without getting several very similar colors! Such a great tutorial, thanks for sharing!!

xx Melina

• Stefanie 11/07/2011 at 6:15 pm

This idea is so creative but so easy! Love it!

• Sarah 11/07/2011 at 1:26 pm

I really like this, so different but still classy!

• Loren 11/07/2011 at 11:31 am

Love this! Great idea. Looks lovely.

• soanthro 11/07/2011 at 10:34 am

Such a cute idea, will have to try this!!

• Kassie Nichole 11/07/2011 at 10:18 am

This is fantastic! I will be giving this a go, thanks!

• Cecilia Oviedo 11/07/2011 at 9:56 am

Looks cute! Nice twist from the usual all red or pink, but still subtle!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries