hot and cold

Tipper Braided Hobo c/o Handbag Heaven | thrifted denim shirt | Romeo & Juliet Couture pleather jacket via Hautelook | JCrew favorite fit crops (a pretty penny, available online) | Jessica Simpson scarf | Seychelles Gypsy sandals

This is the extra-frustrating time of year in the south, when Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner {can you believe it?!} and you’re dreaming of pumpkin lattes, and boots with knee socks, and plush knitted scarves… and it’s 80 degrees outside. The time of year when you sulk in your closet and begrudgingly pick the open-toed sandals over the new cognac boots your husband bought you for your birthday, and throw on a linen scarf because —dammit! — it’s fall. Then, throughout the balmy day, you listen to your staff’s teeth chatter because you cranked the A/C down low so you wouldn’t have to sweat it out in your completely inappropriate seasonal layers, and you nearly have a heat stroke every time you make a trip to the dumpster or help a customer to their car. They say a “cold front” is coming this Thursday, which means it may get down to 70.

I’m sure some of you are freezing your backsides off in other areas of the world, and would love to trade places. To which I say, if you’d like to swap homes for a couple of weeks a la’ Cameron and Kate in The Holiday, I’m in.

Please, Mother Nature, just don’t make me wear shorts and flip flops to Thanksgiving dinner.

1. Temeka wrote:

Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re utilizing?

I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I muyst say this blog
    loads a lot faster ten most. Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest price?
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

Posted 1.16.15 Reply
  2. Delia wrote:

Because the admin of this site is working, no hesitation very quickly it will be famous, due tto its
    feature contents.

Posted 12.31.14 Reply
  3. Rachel wrote:

haha, I’m in Texas and have the exact same feelings! We have a high of 73 today so I’m totally wearing a sweater and big scarf! <3

Posted 11.23.11 Reply
  4. Kylee wrote:

My husband and I took a trip to Florida in October…we were wearing shorts!! We live in CT, would switch in a heartbeat!!

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  5. hanz57 wrote:

It has just recently become cold in my neck of the woods, last week we were also having 80 degree weather too. I have finally been able to break out my boots and fall wear. The outfit you are wearing is so cute!

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  6. Annie wrote:

Aw, I’m from the Northeast, and I totally hear you…I think I would be lost without my boots, scarves, layers, etc. But talk to me in January and I will probably trade all that in for some sun :)

Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  7. Loren wrote:

It’s not quite that bad here in Kentucky but it’s still unseasonably warm. I think a house swap sounds amazing though. love this scarf, even if it is just linen it looks lovely on you.

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  8. CessOviedo wrote:

Wish I had colder weather too, sometimes I feel like summer ain’t over yet, but like to pretend I live in NYC fall and have to stay cozy! Love the layers here!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  9. That bag is soo cute! And, as I think I’ve mentioned before, I just love that jacket! Hope the weather cools down for you.

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  10. I cannot even imagine sunshine or hot weather right now! I’m in London, England and it’s sooooo cold outside. I am in full gingerbread latte, thermal layering, scarf, wooly socks mode. The cold weather always means I eat more pie to add an extra layer of body insulation (at least you wont have to worry about that issue) I would say opt for darker, warmer tones or winter floral prints/ fairisyle even if the layers are thin you will give the impression of seasonal loveliness without sweating too much!! great post. xx

Posted 11.16.11 Reply
  11. SaFire wrote:

Well i live all the way in Karachi, Pakistan, a coastal city where winter just does not arrive. It is only in perhaps early January that icy winds start dancing around us, but that stays for maybe ten days, nothing more. I have these funky black boots that i am dying to wear, but in order to do so i would need to go to a vacation to a snowy hill station or something.

ps. yep. love the shoes.

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  12. Great post, m’dear! And boy oh boy to I understand what you mean about the weather not allowing your Fall wardrobe out of the closet due to the HEAT! Argh! Well heck, I slipped into my knee-high sox & favorite cognac colored lace up boots anyway…then promptly turned the fan on. ; )

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  13. Lori wrote:

I SO hear you! The weather is the same here. I agree with the above comment, I LOVE your sandals too! Plus, it was just about a week ago that I saw The Holiday for the first time (loved it). I’ve been so out of the loop lately, I don’t even remember it coming to the theaters!

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  14. TanyaMay wrote:

I am DYING over those sandals! <3 Great outfit!

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  15. Joanne wrote:

I totally agree. Here in AZ the mornings are nice and cold but once I leave work to take my outfit photos, I’m sweating as I roll up my cardigan sleeves.

I’ll be in VA for Thanksgiving and I’m excited to pack Fall/Winter wear!!

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  16. Megan wrote:

I am soooooo with you!!!!!! Seriously, I keep rolling my eyes at the sun and all I want to do is wear my new boots/scarves but it’s just too damn hot here in Florida!!! I think I’m just going to blast the A/C on Thanksgiving and wear what I want! :)

Posted 11.15.11 Reply
  17. I’m from Florida and spent the last year away, including a cold snowy winter in New Jersey, and I couldn’t be happier to be back and enjoying this WARM weather!

Where in Florida is your store located?

Posted 11.15.11 Reply

@keiralennox

• Some days I have my sh*t together; some days I have to get ready to go out to dinner on my office floor with a mirror propped against the wall.
  • Can’t make a downtown Bartow delivery without popping into @rafanatural’s beautiful shop to restock my coconut bar soap stash; ‘Relaxation’ for me, ‘Sandalwood’ for the husband. 🛁 #shopsmall #shoplocal #rafanatural
  • #mondaymotivation courtesy of this neighborhood truck on our morning walk. 😉
  • Doakie’s got those Friday feels. ☺️💕 #dogsofig #tgif #instagood
  • New motivational reads for my #werk stack, inspired by @larsbookclub. These are my favorite kinds of books to enjoy and then share with friends and my flower shop team. 💕 #bookstagram #larsbookclub #booksofig #goodreads #joyful
  • Busy days are our favorite days. 💕 Kicking our feet up after a long day and feeling so grateful for our special clients who trust us to help them ‘say it with flowers’ for all kinds of occasions. #shoplocal #shopsmall #floristlife