while I was out…

12/19/2011 20 Comments

while I was out…

12/19/2011 20 Comments

Oh hey, Internets! Remember me?!

I was thinking this afternoon that I need one of those handy away messages from the AOL Instant Messenger Days of yore on my homepage; something like this:

Keira is away from her computer. She’s up to her eyeballs in glitter, douglas fir branches, red carnations, and holiday ribbon. Please stand by. And maybe send her a box of chocolate. Or a bottle of wine. She’s on the brink, people.

This is the first time I’ve cracked open the ol’ MacBook in days. Things have been so crazy at the shop I’ve barely had time to take bathroom breaks, much less update the blog. I’ve been snapping a lot of Instagrams so my smartphone-toting friends and family know I’m still alive. Here’s a little peek into what I’ve been up to…

Workin'. Spray roses Deliveries Arm party Nyla booties Felt flowers   Doak Bus driver Delivery  Christmas flowers Haircut OOTD Marble Slab Vino Lazy Doak.

I have cleaned, cut and arranged thousands of stems of flowers in the last seven days. My hands and cuticles are ravaged, and I’m in need of good hand cream recommendations, please and thank you.

It hasn’t been all work around here. I’ve indulged in several nights with girlfriends, including a fabulous dinner with my love Anne of WobiSobi, who surprised me with a wrist full of her original bracelets. I’ve been wearing them nearly every day since. I also gifted myself with those adorable ruffled NYLA booties from HauteLook and started a few easy DIYs that — fingers crossed — will be finished by the new year.

We’re a family business, which means everyone is expected to do their part, and do whatever it takes to get the job done. That includes furry four-legged family members, who help keep the peace by charming customers while they wait their turn to place orders or pick up arrangements. It also includes borrowing a large moving van to transport a mammoth flower arrangement, and climbing into the back of said moving van to sit cross-legged around the arrangement while bear-hugging it for four blocks to get it delivered as your husband takes the captain’s seat. That’s trust, ya’ll.

I did squeeze in a long overdue haircut last week. I skipped an important local business event to do it. You can’t win ’em all. And while I haven’t posted outfits, I have been getting dressed. Just so you don’t worry about my decency.

During all this madness, I’ve started a semi-strict gluten free diet (more on that later, but there’s no better time to radically change your lifestyle than during the craziest time of the year, natch). Fortunately for me, some types of ice cream and all types of red wine are gluten free, and I’ve therefore established them as food groups. Especially for dinner.

All this holiday fun has left us pretty wiped out. Doak and Chad are sleeping in the living room as we speak, and it’s only 7:30. I have a feeling that I won’t be far behind them. Please bear with us as we navigate the hustle and bustle. Things will be back to normal around here soon!

• 2011: a recap « A Pretty Penny 01/01/2012 at 3:45 pm

[…] December:  My head is still spinning from the holiday hustle and bustle. Posts were pretty sporadic, but I took lots of Instagrams. […]

• Chelsea 12/24/2011 at 12:02 pm

Sounds like you have been a very busy lady! Happy Holidays!

• SWFTerra 12/23/2011 at 10:54 am

It’s a crazy time for everyone, especially those in the floral business. My very dear friend owns a shop near Philly and she has the same sort of tone when I correspond with her. You can do it, Keira! You’re on the home stretch. Also, good for you putting yourself before a business event. Sometimes, those roots and ends take top priority. xo

• ShopFast 12/23/2011 at 6:50 am

I think everyone is aboard the crazy train, sister! Just wait until you add children to the mix. The insanity becomes permanent rather than seasonal! Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!
    Aimee

• youngandfaded 12/22/2011 at 3:10 pm

Such pretty pictures! Best of luck on the diet, I know I couldn’t do it. :)

• eatandwear 12/20/2011 at 2:57 pm

Looks like you’re the best kind of busy – doing your own thing! Love your hair…sorry about Gluten free! It gets easy over time!

• Lucy 12/20/2011 at 11:10 am

Easy Homemade lotion-
    16oz Johnsons Baby Lotion, 8 oz Vaseline and 8 oz Vitmain E creme. Put in a mixer(or blend by hand) until it looks like icing. Works like a charm!!

• Amy 12/20/2011 at 10:53 am

Karin Herzog Hand and Nail Cream will change your life! Love the booties.

• A Skirt With Pockets 12/20/2011 at 9:39 am

Sounds like it’s been a very eventful holiday season for you so far – glad it hasn’t been all work!

• gi-gi 12/20/2011 at 9:36 am

I love Restoration Hardware No-Crack Hand cream. It is the best I have I found. See you on the other side of the the holidays! Glad to hear you are still getting dressed daily.

• Nikki 12/20/2011 at 9:13 am

Origins Make A Difference hand cream or Deborah Lippman’s Rich Girl. Rich Girl will totally heal your cuticles!

• Annie 12/20/2011 at 7:33 am

Such fun photos! I actually just started a gluten free diet a few weeks ago too…crappy time of year for it….but at least there’s wine :)

Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

• Bethy Hardeman (@bhardeman) 12/20/2011 at 1:51 am

Busy busy! For hand lotion, I suggest La Source Hand Therapy (my first recommendation in this post: http://voices.yahoo.com/8-low-maintenance-winter-beauty-tips-10622305.html?cat=69). It is amazing and a big bottle of it lasts years (at least for me).

As for the gluten-free diet, I’m semi-gluten free. (Which means I avoid eating sandwiches while drinking a pint of beer.) When I can skip the gluten, my stomach thanks me. I recommend reading Gluten Hates Me (http://www.glutenhatesme.com/) for recipe and product suggestions. Good luck!

• Joanne Mason 12/19/2011 at 11:43 pm

1. love the haircut, can’t wait to officially see it. 2. really pretty bracelets! I’m jealous!! 3. really cute boots and 4. yummy wine;)

Good luck on the new diet, can’t wait to hear about it. And take your time, get ramped up for the new year:)

• Sarah 12/19/2011 at 10:55 pm

Glad to see you back, if only briefly!

I’m a big fan of the Aveeno Intense Relief hand cream. If your hands are in truly terrible condition (which has happened to me on occasion…), there is a great balm called O’Keefe’s Working Hands – it comes in a neon green container and has saved my poor, cracked hands!

Happy holidays!

• Meg 12/19/2011 at 10:46 pm

Glad to hear you’re doing (mostly) well! My godmother owned a floral shop for many years, and I remember how busy she got around the holidays. Congratulations on your new diet as well – I hope it’s been beneficial so far.

• shari 12/19/2011 at 10:38 pm

From one Seminole to another, you have got to try L’Occitane’s 20% Shea Butter hand lotion! AMAZING! MERRY XMAS

• middleofitall 12/19/2011 at 10:31 pm

Bath and Body Works Spa lotion. Can’t remember the name, but it has paraffin wax in it. I love it!

• Kayla 12/19/2011 at 9:04 pm

I’ve totally been missing your posts and outfits, and your funny sense of humor!!!!!!!
    I love Mary Kay Satinhands lotion. I prefer the fragrance-free version, but there are always a few yummy scented versions as well. I handle a lot of paper at work which seems to dry my hands out a ton. So I definitely recommend it!

• Lisa 12/19/2011 at 8:49 pm

Glad you’re still alive! Love the photos and happy holidays!