“steal the real”: make-it-yourself glitter pouch

02/01/2012 20 Comments

“steal the real”: make-it-yourself glitter pouch

02/01/2012 20 Comments
Inspiration: this Kate Spade sparkler known as the Little Gia Pouch. She taunted me from Pinterest and the pages of my favorite magazines, and retailed for $75.

I first spotted this flashy number on Pinterest. My friend Anne pinned it, and soon after posted a simple DIY of her own version on her blog, WobiSobi. I wanted a glitter pouch to call my own!

Being the type A perfectionist I am, I had to find a gold pouch with a gold zipper to get as close as I could to the look and style of the original. When cleaning out my handbags last weekend, I found handfuls of long-lost lipgloss and the perfect gold pouch — the little forgotten travel pouch that came with my Dr. Scholl’s Fast Flats.

Pouch in hand, I headed to the craft store for shimmer supplies. Up close, the Kate Spade pouches have a beautiful texture made up of several sizes and shapes of glitter, so I knew one bottle of sparkle just wouldn’t do. I picked a few different types: a traditional gold glitter made of circles, a confetti-style gold glitter that looked like tiny rectangles, and iridescent fairy dust with itty-bitty gold stars.

IMG_0286IMG_0285 IMG_0296

IMG_0297 IMG_0300

I made a thick paste with the three types of glitter and Mod Podge, and — with my hand inside the pouch — painted the mixture on thickly with a brush on both sides. It took a couple of healthy coats to get the full coverage I wanted, but the entire project took 15 minutes, start-to-finish. I propped the pouch open over a water bottle to dry overnight. Easy peasy, and about $70 saved.

IMG_0306 IMG_0309

If you want to recreate this project for yourself, look for cosmetic pouches with metallic or brightly colored zippers. Raid your bathroom cabinets for gift-with-purchase makeup bags from the department store. Mix things up with multi-colored glitter or trade the gold for silver. Happy sparkling!

• Lori 02/06/2015 at 4:16 am

Nice work, love the idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Rosalina 10/12/2014 at 8:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on domain. Regards

• Swetlana 12/19/2013 at 4:54 am

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I will definitely try this out. …Due to my lack of patience I am not really good in the DIY business ;) … but the fact that the whole procedure took you only 15 mins made it for me ;)

• laneslessons 07/06/2013 at 3:46 pm

Not only is this super cute, but I also LOVE your coat! Where is it from?!

• […] using the same glitter glue technique I used to make my Kate Spade-inspired glitter pouch, I made a thick glitter “paint” with Mod Podge and stippled it onto the […]

• everythinginbetween 08/10/2012 at 2:45 pm

Love glitter. Love this!!

• thundermtfashion 05/01/2012 at 7:43 pm

cute!

• Amy 02/07/2012 at 2:58 pm

Such a great DIY

• Megan 02/06/2012 at 7:53 pm

I definitely need more glitter in my life and this is such a cute, easy idea! Thanks for sharing :)

• aflgirl 02/06/2012 at 12:41 pm

So cute! I need to do this.

• Linda Z 02/03/2012 at 2:41 pm

Great idea!! Cute!

• Finally Friday « 02/03/2012 at 11:13 am

[…] Mess, Elise shows us how to make your tools look fab! Over at a Pretty Penny, she shared how to make a look-alike Glitter Pouch (so […]

• Anne 02/02/2012 at 2:46 pm

Looks fantastic!!!

• Melina 02/01/2012 at 8:30 pm

I am so obsessed with all these glitter DIYs I’ve seen around. Soon everything I own will be covered in glitter! But this pouch is just too cute not to try! ;)

xx Melina

• Valerie 02/01/2012 at 2:01 pm

Your pouch came out super cute! Can’t wait to try it!

• LindzSilverman 02/01/2012 at 10:58 am

this is an awesome idea! I can see how great it looks in the sun and I definitely want to try it out! I bought flats like this last month and probably could have saved some money by applying this same method.

• Alex 02/01/2012 at 9:44 am

How does the pouch fare with the wear and tear? (haha, I totally didn’t mean to rhyme!) Does the glitter stick onto the pouch or does the pouch leave some glitter behind throughout the day?

• Anita 02/01/2012 at 5:36 am

wonderfull idea, it works like with heels ;-)

• sundaynight 02/01/2012 at 2:15 am

This is way too cute, but I confess, I worry. To quote Dmitri Martin, “Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.” Tell the truth, was the glitter all over when you carried it around? I might have fear of glitter because I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 year old… =)

• crisaquarius24@gmail.com 03/23/2015 at 6:07 pm

ITs not an issue when you use modpodge mixture, and if you coat it with a clear coat product of your choice it will seal it. A layer of modge podge can do as well as a layer of spray clear coat. There is a flexible one they sell at Michaels.