easy as pie

04/24/2012 16 Comments

easy as pie

04/24/2012 16 Comments
JCrew dress (a pretty penny) | pree brulee peach druzy necklace | Nine West belt | Nine West wedges | vintage eelskin clutch (thrifted)

IMG_2963  IMG_2971

Maybe it’s because I was raised on the rules of Stacy & Clinton and weekend marathons of What Not to Wear (both the American and British versions) but the word “comfortable” in the context of style usually makes me crinkle my nose. It conjures up images of sweats, baggy tees, and pajama jeans worn by superwomen who give so much of themselves to everyone around them, and don’t leave much time or energy to dedicate to themselves. Trust me, I understand. However– trust me one more time — there are pieces you can add to your wardrobe that take seconds to put on, and are just as comfortable as those trusty sweats. And feeling pretty and put-together goes a long way in adding a little pep to your step.

Take an easy cotton shirt dress like this one. Throw it on, cinch your waist with a belt, and you’re good to go. Add a necklace if you have an extra 30 seconds to spare before racing out the door to tackle the day’s to-do list. Wear it with flats for running around day, then switch to a wedge or heel for after-hours. You’ll feel like you’re wearing your jammies all day, but you’ll look totally polished and put-together. Your yoga pants won’t even know what hit ’em.

I love this quote from my friend Kayley’s blog, Sidewalk Ready:

“While clothes may not make the woman, they certainly have a strong effect on her self-confidence… which, I believe, does make the woman.” — Mary Kay Ashe

• Anonymous 08/06/2012 at 1:33 am

How lovely! We shared your blog and 2 of these lovely pictures on our social media sites. :)

– Team Pree Brulee

• Heather 04/28/2012 at 8:19 pm

I’m obsessed with this shirt dress – you look amazing!

XO

• Hannah (@chill_air) 04/28/2012 at 7:11 pm

I think the shirt dress is the ultimate in easy, comfy, & chic style. So cute!

xo,
    Hannah

• Christine 04/27/2012 at 10:06 am

MAN! I love how easy a dress is to style!

• Anne 04/25/2012 at 12:25 pm

Beautiful as always!!

• EMily (New York) 04/25/2012 at 11:47 am

Lovee the shirt dress and love how you styled it! (Big fan of the shoes, here!)

• Amy 04/25/2012 at 11:25 am

such a cute dress

• kaylasboyle 04/25/2012 at 10:09 am

Totally agree with you on comfort. Comes in tons of forms and a lot of them are stylish. Preach girl

A Refreshed Take Off

• Shon 04/25/2012 at 8:08 am

Right on!! I was also raised on WNTW both the American and British versions!! I totally agree with you. Hey, I could use some vintage WNTW BBC inmy life!

• elise 04/25/2012 at 7:41 am

Crisp, and Chic, Lovely
    To be honest, you could wear anything and look spectacular !
    Best,
    Elise

• Anne 04/25/2012 at 7:12 am

That is a great quote! And I’m totally with you – your easy and simple dress is great, and I’m pretty convinced that people who complain about comfort in relation to dresses haven’t worn one – seriously, they’re even less restricting than sweatpants if that’s your issue… PLUS easy. You don’t even have to decide on a shirt!

• E in Flats 04/25/2012 at 1:17 am

Cute dress : ) I too am a big believer in relaxed, easy going outfits. I strongly think an individual can be both fashionable and comfortable, and sometimes those are the best looks.

• shannon 04/24/2012 at 8:15 pm

I love shirt dresses as well. Love how you styled this look. Effortless and chic.

• greenmountaingal 04/24/2012 at 5:11 pm

Going to have to try this, I love those shoes!

• Frannie Pantz 04/24/2012 at 5:10 pm

This dress is super cute and you are SPOT ON with your comfortable clothing words. As a full time working mother of three, I can totally attest to this fact. This dress is perfect for such days and I love that you added the belt!