we’re transplanting! our flower shop, that is.

06/08/2012 27 Comments

we’re transplanting! our flower shop, that is.

06/08/2012 27 Comments

Our flower shop has been in the same building in the historic downtown district of our hometown for over a decade. It’s filled with a lot of memories, and has been a great home for the business. But it’s over 4000 sq ft, and with the economic decline and changes in the industry, we’ve found that we just don’t need all this space anymore. It’s time to bid farewell to 220 W Central, and move on to a different place for the new chapter of the “next generation” of our family business.

Chad and I spent more than a year hunting for a space. There are — surprisingly — a lot of requirements for a flower shop! We need room for retail, design workspace, storage, an area to clean and process incoming flowers and plants (with available plumbing for utility sinks), and a place for a walk-in cooler. We really wanted to stay downtown, too. We searched and prayed, prayed and searched, and our patience finally paid off. We found the perfect space, right behind our current location, and the stars aligned to make it ours. We’re moving as we speak, and hope to be settled in by the first of July.

I’m so excited to share it with you all! Want to take a little tour?

IMG_4697 IMG_4707

It was formerly an art studio with a gallery up front and a workspace for artists and classes in the back. {Hello, retail space and design space!} When you walk in, you’re greeted by a beautiful saltwater aquarium, lots of natural light, bold color palettes, fun lighting fixtures, and exposed ceilings. It’s like a creativity factory, and I know our design team is going to find lots of inspiration working in such a unique space.

IMG_4687 IMG_4684

I love that the building feels completely modern, but has little throw-back touches like these exposed pipes. The lady who owns the building and created the art gallery is an interior designer and creative powerhouse, so we’re moving our stuff in and not touching a thing.

IMG_4688 IMG_4693

Until we get settled in and find our groove, we’re putting the consignment boutique on hold. I’m going to maintain a small shop online and hopefully reopen a brick-and-mortar boutique again sometime in the future. For now, I think I need to put all of my energy into learning everything I can about floral design, and managing and marketing our blooming business.

I’ll keep you updated on the progress, and I can’t wait until I can post finished “after” pictures of our new digs!

• Today is mine. | Keira Lennox 10/28/2015 at 9:48 am

[…] is a risk. We moved the shop three and a half years ago, and now we’re at it again, and all that dreaminess comes with […]

• two years later… | A Pretty Penny 07/15/2014 at 4:24 pm

[…] owning the family flower shop. I remember how excited — and nervous — we were to move into our current space and start this adventure together. In some ways it feels like yesterday, but at the same time, my […]

• one year later… | A Pretty Penny 07/01/2013 at 3:36 pm

[…] marks the one year anniversary of Chad and I moving our flower shop and officially becoming the new owners of the family business. It goes without saying that it flew […]

• eight and twenty | A Pretty Penny 11/16/2012 at 3:34 pm

[…] our little wings and flew out of the nest of our family business, moving our flower shop to a beautiful new space and officially taking over all of the the daily operations of the business. Our ribbon cutting was […]

• […] of my favorite things about our new shop is how colorful and creative it is! It inspires me to think outside the box, and come up with fun design ideas for the […]

• […] the while we’ve been working on our move, taking consultation appointments for upcoming events, preparing proposals for those consultations, […]

• carabrownstein 06/16/2012 at 3:05 pm

Reblogged this on Vague Magazine.

• Amy Morrow 06/13/2012 at 4:54 pm

Keira, this is awesome! What a perfect spot. I’m stoked to see it this summer. :)

• http://iwantedtobeblonde.com/ 06/13/2012 at 8:38 am

Wow!! this is surely the coolest flower shop ever seen!!
    x

• Linda 06/12/2012 at 7:00 pm

Keira, I’m excited to see the completed space! I love the little pendant lights, and it looks like you could hang fun stuff from the green rafters, too.

• 2mylnmyf 06/12/2012 at 2:09 pm

I’m really excited for your new move and the next generation part of your flower shop. It looks like it’ll be fun and funky! Enjoy the ups and downs and more ups of the move :)

• Amy 06/12/2012 at 11:08 am

What an incredible space! Love the lighting!

• Sarah 06/10/2012 at 8:23 pm

What a beautiful shop, the colors are so bright and cheerful, the way a flower shop should be. Congrats on your new shop:) I’m a new follower. Awesome blog!

Sarah

• Rebecca 06/09/2012 at 1:02 pm

WOW. AWESOME.

• Anonymous 06/09/2012 at 10:11 am

Very impressive shop! The modern styling will certainly contribute a nice flare to the business. Congrats!

• Corinne 06/09/2012 at 2:34 am

Wow congrats on finding such an amazing space! Such an exciting (but busy!) time for you! Can’t wait to see it all set up :)

Life Etc

• Anne 06/08/2012 at 9:36 pm

OMG I LOVE the space!! cant wait to see it for real!!:)

• sharon trudeau 06/08/2012 at 8:45 pm

Keira & Chad, Congratulations! I have always loved this space! What a wonderful new home for wonderful people doing wonderful business!

• Lauren 06/08/2012 at 7:10 pm

incredible space! What a great move for Lasater and fun change for Winter Haven! Have fun and can’t wait to see it!

• Chevon Baccus 06/08/2012 at 2:54 pm

love it! Perfect for an artsy floral design business – you’ll do great.

• shannon 06/08/2012 at 1:59 pm

What a gorgeous space!

• Beth 06/08/2012 at 1:56 pm

Wow, it’s so modern and colourful, I’m not used to shops like that here in the North West England. I’m sure it’ll be beautiful when it’s renovated! Good Luck! xox

• keiralennox 06/08/2012 at 2:21 pm

We don’t have many in our small town either, Beth! Which makes me even more excited about it :) Thanks for the well wishes!

• Xiomara @ Parkesdale 06/08/2012 at 1:49 pm

What a fantastic space for a flower shop! I love all the colors. I know you’ll have fun decorating it. Can’t wait to see the after pictures.