do-it-yourself polka dot skinnies

You could spend $190 on a pair of designer dotted denim, or with just a few supplies and a little time you could make your own!

Keep reading for the rundown…

When I saw my friend Anne whip up a  pair of polka-dot jeans with a tapered candle and fabric paint on her blog, WobiSobi, I knew I had to recreate a pair of my own. So when Anne came over Saturday for a girl’s-night-in of cocktails and DIY’ing, I seized the opportunity to tackle the project with the restyle master herself.

I’d just seen an Instagram by designlovefest of the most amazing pair of black Paige skinnies with white polka dots. With the image burned in my brain, Anne and I ventured to Wal-Mart to pick up a few supplies for her and — fingers crossed — an inexpensive pair of black skinnies for me. I found a pair in the juniors’ section for $12.88!

IMG_4793When we got back home, I found some gold metallic fabric paint in my craft stash, as well as a round stencil sponge from a big pack of kids craft brushes I’d picked up a week before. Dot size was top priority — I didn’t want them too big or too small — so I started with a trick I picked up from cotton and curls, using an old DVD as a stencil. Things got a little messy, and I realized that the stencil sponge made perfect dots all on its own.

I covered the front in randomly-placed polka-dots {made all the more random by the whipped vodka cocktail I was sipping} until I ran out of gold fabric paint. So for now, the back of the jeans are dot-less, but I think I kind of like them that way! I can always pick up more fabric paint and finish the back if I change my mind.

For more great DIY ideas, be sure to follow Anne and her restyle adventures on WobiSobi!

I accept the Privacy Policy

1. 5.17.15

thank you .

2. 4.28.13
    LucyBre said:

Reblogged this on Being Weirdly Awesome.

3. 4.16.13

genius!!

4. 4.7.13

I LOVE THEM!!!!!

5. 3.6.13

Reblogged this on Balloons pop like promises being forgotten. and commented:
    LOVE <3

6. 12.10.12

Wow. They are great. I want to try them, but how would they wash. Do you think the dots will wash out after a few washes?

7. 12.5.12

Fantastic pants and shoes!
    Awesome imagination! Lol

8. 12.4.12

I now have something to do with a pair of black jeans I rarely wear. They started to fade and I got bored with them… A little refashioning will definitely bring them back to life. I’ve already spent my morning refashioning old t-shirts into fabric flowers and necklaces… What’s a pair of jeans?

9. 10.7.12
    Annette said:

awesome. I’m running out to the thrift store to snag a pair of jeans and try it out. that way, if it doesn’t come out exactly like I want, I won’t feel so bad!!

• 10.8.12

Great thinking! I always try to find inexpensive pieces to do DIY experiments with :)

• 4.7.13

Great Idea! I’m going to do that too!

10. 9.26.12
    Stephanie said:

Wow, I love this idea!

11. 9.20.12
    Sarmistha said:

Thanks for sharing this!! I so love polkas and it would be so great to convert one of my old jeans into a polka dotted one. :)

12. 9.17.12
    Kelsey said:

your blog has made my day! I’m all about cheap/chic deals & DIY.

13. 9.9.12
    nives said:

very very nice I like it

14. 9.8.12
    Justpearlz said:

Love this! Too cute

15. 9.6.12

Super cute idea!!!

16. 9.6.12
    Jupe said:

Um WHAT?! Make my own…such a great idea, why haven’t I thought of this? I’ve been dying for polka dot jeans…and def going to take a page from your book :)

<3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

• 9.6.12

Super easy, right?! I’d love to see your dotted denim!

17. 9.6.12
    jlofashionblog said:
  18. 9.6.12

What a great DIY, thanks for sharing!

19. 9.6.12
    georgeina said:

what a fab idea. will be hunting down pair of trews to make my own! thanks for sharing

20. 9.6.12

Lovely! I definitely want to make my own!

xo Mel

21. 9.6.12
    bunnymysweet said:

Neat idea, they look so good!
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(”)(”)

22. 9.5.12
    nchanel said:

Reblogged this on Chanel Wears and commented:
    Im soooo doing this!!

23. 9.5.12
    shannon said:

You are BRILLIANT! Great idea, and they look AMAZING!

24. 9.5.12
    arayofsun said:

these are perfect! i would never have thought to do that and honestly haven’t even seen them in stores. so creative and cute but not overwhelming! i will definitely be trying this

xoxoxo

arayofsunblog.com

• 9.5.12

Thanks! I haven’t seen them in stores yet, just around my favorite blogs. I’d love to see your version!

25. 9.5.12
    Beth said:

They look so cute. In fact we have a pair of spotty black skinnies available in our local supermarket for about £14, but I don’t really have the legs for them. Doesn’t stop them being adorable though!
    xox

• 9.5.12

If you’re not super comfy in skinnies, you can always pair them with a big chunky sweater and boots to make them feel more like leggings! That’s how I broke myself in, and eventually grew to love them :-)

26. 9.5.12

This is such a great DIY, and I love the easy tutorial. Am definitely trying this ASAP! Best wishes and great blog.
    xo Sophie

27. 9.5.12

i LOVE them! how cute!!!

• 9.5.12

Thanks, Kels! I’m thinking little Rooney needs a pair ;-)

28. 9.5.12
    rhiannon said:

so cute! you did such a great job!

29. 9.5.12

loved it!!! I love polka but guess Im not able to do something like that :D

xoxo

30. 9.5.12
    steffy said:

I imagine this would be fun to do with all kinds of shaped stencils!

• 9.5.12

Definitely! Hearts or stars would be really cute. Or little anchors in the summer!

31. 9.5.12
    jlofashionblog said:

What a fantastic idea – so creative!!

Follow my new blog with loads of upcoming great reads, photos and even competitions and fab offers for you :)) http://jlofashionblog.wordpress.com

32. 9.5.12
    7cakes said:

Oh, wow. Seeing these just made my day! Am putting them on my to-do list =D

33. 9.5.12
    Anne said:

So great! I should probably give this a try as I have all the supplies necessary – since I did this exact thing on a set of cloth napkins!

• 9.5.12

Oooohhh, I should do cloth napkins, too! Or cute little kitchen hand towels… I’m always searching for cute hand towels!

34. 9.5.12
    Brooke said:

Looks so great!! BTW, who makes those killer heels? LOVE THEM! :)

• 9.5.12

Thank you! They’re Jessica Simpson, and I’ve had them for ages!

35. 9.5.12

These look incredible! It looks so easy to do but I feel like I would mess it up. lol

• 9.5.12

That’s why you have to work on cheapies; that way you won’t be too devastated if it doesn’t turn out exactly as you hoped :)

36. 9.5.12