fancy pants.

{ Milano ruffled blouse (secondhand, $6); Hot Kiss “Skinny Lily” floral jeans (Beall’s Outlet, $19.99); Simply Vera Vera Wang beanie; JustFab bag; Jessica Simpson shoes }

I’m like 80% sure that I had an almost identical pair of jeans in 1991, and absolutely certain I had a babydoll dress in this blue-on-black floral. There are awkward elementary school photos to prove it. With feathered bangs.

I must’ve been in a particularly nostalgic mood when browsing through the outlet store a few weeks ago, because these babies spoke to me from their rack in the juniors’ section — territory that I don’t often venture into, because my body doesn’t exactly fit into the straight slim cuts designed for teenager hips… but I digress. They pulled me in like a moth to a flowery flame, and before I even knew what happened I was standing in the checkout line to make them mine.

Here’s the thing: while standing in said line, I was running through all the ways I was going to wear these babies {“they’re going to be so versatile; what can’t you pair with bold floral denim?!”}. Ah contraire, mon frère. Figuring out a way to wear them without looking like my 8-year-old self turned out to be much trickier than my compulsive buying justification estimated! I decided a neutral ladylike blouse with an all-grown-up handbag was the way to go. When {if} the weather cools down a bit, I can see pairing them with a big chunky sweater and casual boots. So that’s two ideas. Far less than the dozens I had waiting in that queue, which I guess I erased from memory immediately after I swiped my debit card.

1. nicole s. wrote:

love these jeans! i’m always a fan of florals and stripes, so maybe there’s a third way you can style these babies? i can also see a dark emerald blouse or sweater looking stellar with them.

Posted 10.4.12 Reply
    • You’re so right, Nicole! I love jewel tones, but I never seem to purchase them!? I’m adding an emerald top to my shopping wish list :-)

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  2. seecathywrite wrote:

Great outfit!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  3. shannon wrote:

You look darling!!! OMG! I love this outfit from head to toe. Totally beautiful.

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  4. arayofsun wrote:

Love the outfit! You’re so cute!!!!
    xoxox
    Megan

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  5. Ooh! Ooh! I have one: with a white tee and black blazer. You probably didn’t wear blazers as an 8-yr-old, right?

Sarah’s Real Life

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
    • Nailed it, Sarah. A great black blazer is on my radar this season. I wore my last one to bits.

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  6. Corinne wrote:

I love those pants – very fancy! I think you’ll find plenty of ways to wear them, I have with mine! Any plain top or button down shirt goes great, and chambray always works :)

Life etc

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
    • Thanks for the suggestions, Corinne! I really need more button-downs and tailored shirts in my life… And a girl can never have too much chambray.

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  7. Missy wrote:

That print does look familiar! I miss that 8 year old girl in the baby doll dress and the feathered bangs, but I’m very proud of the girl in these pictures wearing the floral print jeans.

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
    • This is my favorite comment of all time :)

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  8. Amy Moore wrote:

Maybe try mixing patterns with a neutral and simple striped top?

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
    • mmm… maybe a soft striped sweater when the weather gets a bit cooler? Thanks for the suggestion, Amy!

Posted 10.5.12 Reply
  9. Too Cute!
    Great look for you. :)
    Cheers,
    Laura

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  10. fashionforlunch wrote:

These look really cute!!!!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply
  11. You wear the pants much better than any 8-year-old I know. They look fabulous on you!

Posted 10.3.12 Reply