fancy pants.

10/03/2012 19 Comments

fancy pants.

10/03/2012 19 Comments
{ Milano ruffled blouse (secondhand, $6); Hot Kiss “Skinny Lily” floral jeans (Beall’s Outlet, $19.99); Simply Vera Vera Wang beanie; JustFab bag; Jessica Simpson shoes }

I’m like 80% sure that I had an almost identical pair of jeans in 1991, and absolutely certain I had a babydoll dress in this blue-on-black floral. There are awkward elementary school photos to prove it. With feathered bangs.

I must’ve been in a particularly nostalgic mood when browsing through the outlet store a few weeks ago, because these babies spoke to me from their rack in the juniors’ section — territory that I don’t often venture into, because my body doesn’t exactly fit into the straight slim cuts designed for teenager hips… but I digress. They pulled me in like a moth to a flowery flame, and before I even knew what happened I was standing in the checkout line to make them mine.

Here’s the thing: while standing in said line, I was running through all the ways I was going to wear these babies {“they’re going to be so versatile; what can’t you pair with bold floral denim?!”}. Ah contraire, mon frère. Figuring out a way to wear them without looking like my 8-year-old self turned out to be much trickier than my compulsive buying justification estimated! I decided a neutral ladylike blouse with an all-grown-up handbag was the way to go. When {if} the weather cools down a bit, I can see pairing them with a big chunky sweater and casual boots. So that’s two ideas. Far less than the dozens I had waiting in that queue, which I guess I erased from memory immediately after I swiped my debit card.

• This and That | A Pretty Penny 05/26/2015 at 1:25 pm

[…] chinos got me all introspective about my ‘style journey’ over the last several years. 2012 Keira would’ve bought them without hesitation — they were cute and inexpensive, and all the other bloggers are wearing palm prints for […]

• […] fancy pants. (aprettypennyblog.com) […]

• nicole s. 10/04/2012 at 2:47 pm

love these jeans! i’m always a fan of florals and stripes, so maybe there’s a third way you can style these babies? i can also see a dark emerald blouse or sweater looking stellar with them.

• keiralennox 10/05/2012 at 9:18 am

You’re so right, Nicole! I love jewel tones, but I never seem to purchase them!? I’m adding an emerald top to my shopping wish list :-)

• seecathywrite 10/03/2012 at 11:50 pm

Great outfit!

• shannon 10/03/2012 at 10:12 pm

You look darling!!! OMG! I love this outfit from head to toe. Totally beautiful.

• arayofsun 10/03/2012 at 8:38 pm

Love the outfit! You’re so cute!!!!
    xoxox
    Megan

• Sarah's Real Life 10/03/2012 at 6:36 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I have one: with a white tee and black blazer. You probably didn’t wear blazers as an 8-yr-old, right?

Sarah’s Real Life

• keiralennox 10/05/2012 at 9:22 am

Nailed it, Sarah. A great black blazer is on my radar this season. I wore my last one to bits.

• Corinne 10/03/2012 at 6:33 pm

I love those pants – very fancy! I think you’ll find plenty of ways to wear them, I have with mine! Any plain top or button down shirt goes great, and chambray always works :)

Life etc

• keiralennox 10/05/2012 at 9:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Corinne! I really need more button-downs and tailored shirts in my life… And a girl can never have too much chambray.

• Missy 10/03/2012 at 5:43 pm

That print does look familiar! I miss that 8 year old girl in the baby doll dress and the feathered bangs, but I’m very proud of the girl in these pictures wearing the floral print jeans.

• keiralennox 10/05/2012 at 9:20 am

This is my favorite comment of all time :)

• Amy Moore 10/03/2012 at 5:20 pm

Maybe try mixing patterns with a neutral and simple striped top?

• keiralennox 10/05/2012 at 9:21 am

mmm… maybe a soft striped sweater when the weather gets a bit cooler? Thanks for the suggestion, Amy!

• astimegoesbuy 10/03/2012 at 5:13 pm

Too Cute!
    Great look for you. :)
    Cheers,
    Laura

• fashionforlunch 10/03/2012 at 5:11 pm

These look really cute!!!!

• Cowboys and Crossbones 10/03/2012 at 5:05 pm

You wear the pants much better than any 8-year-old I know. They look fabulous on you!