at the end of a long, long day.

10/15/2012 29 Comments

at the end of a long, long day.

10/15/2012 29 Comments
{ Ya Los Angeles dress and bracelets (m.marie); Gianni Bini bag; Sole Society boots }

{pardon the spot on my dress; it’s been one of those days.}

Today started out well enough.

I slept in a little, took an extra 15 minutes to curl my hair, and threw on something cute. I knocked out a few deliveries, stopped at Michael’s for some fall decorations, bought a couple sweaters at Target (still patiently waiting for a cold front) and picked up BBQ for lunch before heading back to the shop. It was a lovely morning.

Cut to just four hours later, and my stomach is in knots.

I’m not sure what flipped the switch on my easy breezy afternoon; but whatever it was, it triggered a landslide of nastiness that’s put me in a major funk fest…

Most days our job’s all roses and sunshine (quite literally) but every now and things get really thorny.  I refrain from sharing these war stories on the blog, and I won’t elaborate on the specifics of today’s brutal encounter. Instead, I’ll just say this: Sometimes a customer thinks you’re wrong; but you know in your heart of hearts that you’re right. You even have proof and a stone cold alibi to back it up! But no matter what you do, or how much you explain, you’re never going to have a meeting of the minds. Like, ever.

I understand that this is part of the territory of owning a retail service business, so most of the time I shake it off. But every now and then, we get a customer that takes it to a whole other level and makes it personal. I never understand why people say mean things just to get the upper hand in an argument; especially when they don’t know anything about the person on the receiving end. Between one such situation that cropped up this afternoon — featuring no fewer than five merry-go-round conversations that left me reeling — and a couple of other unrelated awkward confrontations, this ended up being one manic Monday. When it rains it pours…

When I got home, C and I snapped a few shots for the blog in the driveway (no sense wasting a cute outfit) and rehashed the craziness of the last several hours until I gave myself an anxiety attack. Now I’m in my PJ’s, cuddled in bed with a glass of wine and Seinfeld reruns, and things are looking a little better.

Tomorrow’s a new day.

• Joanne Mason (@joannealma) 10/16/2012 at 11:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear you had one of those days. I hope you’re feeling better now and just wanted to say that you looked stunning for the pictures! Happy you were able to give us a smile even though your day sucked;)

• Megan 10/16/2012 at 9:51 pm

Seinfeld ALWAYS makes me happy…sorry it was such a rotten day…so sorry someone used such mean words…they do cut :( Hope you are able to put the nasty lies out of your mind and focus on what you know was the truth in the situation! Hugs!

• ai 10/16/2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi, I’ve been following your blog for a while and I never never leave comments anywhere ever, but after reading this post I just wanted to say: 1. you look beautiful! and 2. mean people suck. But! Karma is a beeee so keep smiling and keep your head up and have a good rest of the week :)

• keiralennox 10/16/2012 at 6:12 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a kind word! It brightened my day :)

• Sarah 10/16/2012 at 1:22 pm

I used to work in floral retail and it can definitely get ridiculous. I totally feel your pain and just reading your words brought it all back! Some customers know that you need their business and take “the customer is always right” to a really ugly place. I always tried to do whatever I could to make my customers happy but at a certain point, I would realize that this person, for whatever reason, wasn’t going to leave happy no matter what I did. Like the time a lady tried to return a 100% completely and totally dead beyond all reason diffenbachia plant that clearly had never been watered and that she had purchased 6 months before. Or the time someone dropped a ceramic pot on their porch and tried to return it because it was broken. It had to have been cracked when she bought it, because she didn’t drop it that hard and it only fell a few feet…

Now that I am out of retail for the time being, I try as hard as I can to be the very best customer in the world. Sometimes I think retail customer service should be a mandatory requirement for all people so they learn how to be nice to the cashiers and salespeople and shop owners of the world. :)

• keiralennox 10/17/2012 at 1:10 pm

Thank you for this, Sarah! You TOTALLY get it, and your words helped me feel a whole lot better!

• arayofsun 10/16/2012 at 11:34 am

People are hard to deal with sometimes, but regardless only you can control you! And even thought I don’t know you, I’m sure you handled it was class! Love this outfit, it’s so cute!
    Megan

• keiralennox 10/17/2012 at 1:12 pm

It’s so true. I try to recite the serenity prayer in these situations:
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      The courage to change the things I can,
      And the wisdom to know the difference.
      Thanks for the kind word!

• Sanah 10/16/2012 at 10:09 am

Radiant smile, cute dress and and an elegant handbag ! Perfect.

• steffy (@illumined) 10/16/2012 at 9:44 am

First off, I love the comfy cut of that dress with those boots. You look absolutely adorable.

Secondly, boo! I’m sorry you had a bad Monday. I hope things improve for you today.

• Lisa 10/16/2012 at 9:35 am

You’d never know you had a crappy day from the pretty smile on your face. I hope your day today is better!

• Corinne 10/16/2012 at 8:35 am

Oh that’s such a shame that you’ve had some nasty run-ins that ruined your nice day! But on a bright note, you still manage to look so gorgeous after all that! And when did your hair get so LONG? I’m so jealous – mine refuses to grow ;)

Life etc

• keiralennox 10/17/2012 at 1:13 pm

Thank you, Corinne! I have no idea, I feel like I woke up one morning and it was down to my waist! It’s been at least two years of growing and skipping haircuts to get here. Hang in there! :)

• ela diz 10/16/2012 at 7:59 am

I love bag!!!

• Chloe 10/16/2012 at 7:44 am

Just remember that you have a bunch of folks that love your blog, your fashion sense, and your creative/cool approach to running a business. Naysayers be gone! :-)

• keiralennox 10/17/2012 at 1:14 pm

Thank you, Chloe! This really made me smile. Thanks for your sweet words!

• Nicole Roe 10/16/2012 at 7:27 am

Well my mom said your husband was a sweetheart when she ordered my birthday flowers :) See you Friday!

• anastasiac 10/16/2012 at 6:52 am

oh no – that too bad! keep smiling your pretty smile, don’t let it get to you! hey I love love your hair, its grown so long! you’ll have to do a hair tutorial for us!

• Dip It Black 10/16/2012 at 6:08 am

Ah you look so pretty!
    That green dress is beautiful
    and I love your bag!

X

• Tereasa 10/16/2012 at 3:28 am

Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Hope today treats you better.

• LUDPE 10/16/2012 at 2:48 am

Lovely lovely lovely!!

• fashionforlunch 10/15/2012 at 11:42 pm

Great colours, love the bag

• Anonymous 10/15/2012 at 10:37 pm

Your hair is to die for! So beautiful!

• Girl and Closet (@girlandcloset) 10/15/2012 at 10:07 pm

Aw, sorry to hear about your day – mine wasn’t too great either. The pj’s are on and I’m getting ready to watch some TV. Yay! And… my goodness you look absolutely gorgeous, adore that dress paired with the boots. Adorable!! xo

• Elena Marie 10/15/2012 at 9:26 pm

Well, you looked completely fabulous on your bad day! :) Here’s to a glass of wine and relaxing. I hope things look up tomorrow! I work for a school, which has its own “customer service” aspect, and I feel your pain.

• bunnymysweet 10/15/2012 at 9:02 pm

super cute look, love the dress!
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(”)(”)

• Sarah's Real Life 10/15/2012 at 7:38 pm

I love that you showed us these pictures even with the spot on your dress. You’re a real person and that’s awesome. Sorry about your crappy day! I’m not a business owner but I’ve spent plenty of time working in customer service so I feel at least some of your pain. Drink that wine, girl.

Sarah’s Real Life