hot & spicy

10/24/2012 14 Comments

hot & spicy

10/24/2012 14 Comments
{ Lucky Brand tunic; Mossimo Premium Skinny jeans (Target, 2011); Simply Vera Vera Wang wedges }

I certainly wasn’t feeling very “hot and spicy” yesterday…

We snapped these outfit photos in the morning when we dropped off our delivery van for new vinyl graphics; just hours before a 24-hour bug hit me like a Mack truck. It started with the tiniest of headaches and an itchy throat, and ended… well, badly.

Fortunately, a few bottles of Gatorade and 14 hours of sleep later, I woke up feeling much better, but kind of like I’d been drained by a Cullen. It was a good reminder to take better care of myself during this cold and flu season. Between long weeks without much time off, my horrible hydration habits, and    a less-than-stellar diet as of late {more BBQ, pizza, and fast-food breakfast sandwiches than you can shake a stick at} it was only a matter of time before my body called for a time-out. Point painfully taken.

I’m just grateful it was a quickie. “Sick days” aren’t really an option for me right now, so it’s time to get serious about staying healthy. Suggestions and home remedies welcomed. Tomorrow’s a busy day with wedding consults, a hair appointment (I’ve already texted this photo of Kate Beckinsale to my stylist for inspiration) and then dinner with my favorite blogging bestie, Anne!

• arayofsun 10/25/2012 at 9:06 am

I second that ^^^ I want those wedges!

• Joanne Mason (@joannealma) 10/25/2012 at 12:13 am

Um, so those shoes are killer!

• Kayla 10/24/2012 at 10:32 pm

I am a CPA, and I always get so drained during tax season, I worry so much about getting sick because I don’t have the time to take a sick day. I recommend taking EmergenC daily during busy/stressful times. So far no tax season illnesses!!!

• keiralennox 10/25/2012 at 10:05 am

I’ve heard great things about that stuff! I need to swing by the drugstore and pick some up.

• musingsoftheamusingmuse 10/25/2012 at 10:58 am

Emergen-C and Airborne (or generic versions) are my Go Tos when cold and flu season hits. I also down them 3 times a day when I travel because I seemed to be plagued with getting a sinus infection every vacation we took. This last one I appeared to have avoided it with the help of all the extra immune boosting.

• keiralennox 10/25/2012 at 2:13 pm

I think sinus infections are exactly what’s been plaguing me. Thanks for the great advice! I’m not a fan of flu shots, so I like these preventative measures! :)

• musingsoftheamusingmuse 10/25/2012 at 2:38 pm

I still have to get flu shots (and was told to get pneumonia vax last year) for medical reasons, but sinus infections still plagued me. Airborne comes in chewables too – which were great to take on the plane – no fussing with cups of water.

• jwilson917 10/24/2012 at 8:13 pm
  • randomartist 10/24/2012 at 8:04 pm

Cool

• amy 10/24/2012 at 7:41 pm

cute top

• Stephanie Wilson 10/24/2012 at 7:21 pm

Cute top! I wish I looked that good normally, let alone after being sick :)

• Sarah 10/24/2012 at 5:55 pm

We are total kindred spirits when it comes to Kohl’s and Vera Wang’s brand there…I love both! I’m a huge fan of Vera’s jewelry line (especially when it’s on super clearance and I have Kohl’s cash!!)

As far as helpful health suggestions, whenever I feel a cold/flu/sore throat/sinus infection coming on, I take Oscillococcinum (so fun to say out loud, try it!) from Boiron: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boiron-Oscillococcinum-Homeopathic-Flu-Medicine-6ct/10316942 I don’t know what it is exactly or why it works, but it always helps my body fight back if I take it the moment I start to feel a little off. Usually 2 doses is all I need, and the price is offset by saving on medicine because I don’t get sick. I swear by it and have converted many friends and co-workers over the years!

• Dip It Black 10/24/2012 at 5:23 pm

Love your outfit! Beautiful top and love the yellow heels!
    And glad to hear you already feel better :)!

X

• Esther Davison 10/24/2012 at 5:04 pm

If your stomach is giving you a hard time, give it peppermint. Especially if there’s stomach pain. I’d eat one or two peppermint patties and I’d feel the pain disappear. Peppermint gum is helpful as well. I’ve been following your blog for awhile. Its been nice to read.