hot & spicy

{ Lucky Brand tunic; Mossimo Premium Skinny jeans (Target, 2011); Simply Vera Vera Wang wedges }

I certainly wasn’t feeling very “hot and spicy” yesterday…

We snapped these outfit photos in the morning when we dropped off our delivery van for new vinyl graphics; just hours before a 24-hour bug hit me like a Mack truck. It started with the tiniest of headaches and an itchy throat, and ended… well, badly.

Fortunately, a few bottles of Gatorade and 14 hours of sleep later, I woke up feeling much better, but kind of like I’d been drained by a Cullen. It was a good reminder to take better care of myself during this cold and flu season. Between long weeks without much time off, my horrible hydration habits, and    a less-than-stellar diet as of late {more BBQ, pizza, and fast-food breakfast sandwiches than you can shake a stick at} it was only a matter of time before my body called for a time-out. Point painfully taken.

I’m just grateful it was a quickie. “Sick days” aren’t really an option for me right now, so it’s time to get serious about staying healthy. Suggestions and home remedies welcomed. Tomorrow’s a busy day with wedding consults, a hair appointment (I’ve already texted this photo of Kate Beckinsale to my stylist for inspiration) and then dinner with my favorite blogging bestie, Anne!

1. arayofsun wrote:

I second that ^^^ I want those wedges!

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
  2. Um, so those shoes are killer!

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
  3. Kayla wrote:

I am a CPA, and I always get so drained during tax season, I worry so much about getting sick because I don’t have the time to take a sick day. I recommend taking EmergenC daily during busy/stressful times. So far no tax season illnesses!!!

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
    • I’ve heard great things about that stuff! I need to swing by the drugstore and pick some up.

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
    • Emergen-C and Airborne (or generic versions) are my Go Tos when cold and flu season hits. I also down them 3 times a day when I travel because I seemed to be plagued with getting a sinus infection every vacation we took. This last one I appeared to have avoided it with the help of all the extra immune boosting.

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
      • I think sinus infections are exactly what’s been plaguing me. Thanks for the great advice! I’m not a fan of flu shots, so I like these preventative measures! :)

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
        • I still have to get flu shots (and was told to get pneumonia vax last year) for medical reasons, but sinus infections still plagued me. Airborne comes in chewables too – which were great to take on the plane – no fussing with cups of water.

Posted 10.25.12 Reply
  4. jwilson917 wrote:
    Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  5. Cool

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  6. amy wrote:

cute top

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  7. Stephanie Wilson wrote:

Cute top! I wish I looked that good normally, let alone after being sick :)

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  8. Sarah wrote:

We are total kindred spirits when it comes to Kohl’s and Vera Wang’s brand there…I love both! I’m a huge fan of Vera’s jewelry line (especially when it’s on super clearance and I have Kohl’s cash!!)

As far as helpful health suggestions, whenever I feel a cold/flu/sore throat/sinus infection coming on, I take Oscillococcinum (so fun to say out loud, try it!) from Boiron: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boiron-Oscillococcinum-Homeopathic-Flu-Medicine-6ct/10316942 I don’t know what it is exactly or why it works, but it always helps my body fight back if I take it the moment I start to feel a little off. Usually 2 doses is all I need, and the price is offset by saving on medicine because I don’t get sick. I swear by it and have converted many friends and co-workers over the years!

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  9. Love your outfit! Beautiful top and love the yellow heels!
    And glad to hear you already feel better :)!

X

Posted 10.24.12 Reply
  10. If your stomach is giving you a hard time, give it peppermint. Especially if there’s stomach pain. I’d eat one or two peppermint patties and I’d feel the pain disappear. Peppermint gum is helpful as well. I’ve been following your blog for awhile. Its been nice to read.

Posted 10.24.12 Reply

@keiralennox

• Can’t make a downtown Bartow delivery without popping into @rafanatural’s beautiful shop to restock my coconut bar soap stash; ‘Relaxation’ for me, ‘Sandalwood’ for the husband. 🛁 #shopsmall #shoplocal #rafanatural
  • #mondaymotivation courtesy of this neighborhood truck on our morning walk. 😉
  • Doakie’s got those Friday feels. ☺️💕 #dogsofig #tgif #instagood
  • New motivational reads for my #werk stack, inspired by @larsbookclub. These are my favorite kinds of books to enjoy and then share with friends and my flower shop team. 💕 #bookstagram #larsbookclub #booksofig #goodreads #joyful
  • Busy days are our favorite days. 💕 Kicking our feet up after a long day and feeling so grateful for our special clients who trust us to help them ‘say it with flowers’ for all kinds of occasions. #shoplocal #shopsmall #floristlife
  • Kindness, always. 💕