the start of something new!

Untitled-1

{wearing: Mossimo sweater (Target clearance, $11); Simply Vera Vera Wang black skinnies; thrifted button-down; Seychelles loafers (Hautelook); watch c/o Daniel Wellington; Tom Ford sunnies}
{“Pleeeease, momma, let me at those blowing leaves!”}

Fall seems like a great time to turn over a new leaf, don’t you think? Let’s hope so… ’cause today’s the first official day of my new budget experiment!

Here’s the 411: I’m a long time over-shopper in desperate need of a detox. For the next four months, I’m holding myself to a strict $100 spending allowance for personal purchases of clothes, accessories, and beauty products. To keep myself motivated, I’ve also set a goal to use the money I’ll save to pay off all of my remaining credit card debt by the end of February. This may sound simple to some, but I’ve never had much success in sticking to a restrictive spending plan, and my hands are shaking a bit as I type this post in anticipation of the retail DTs…

I’ve put myself on countless “budgets” over the years, but always in my head; and always with a laundry list of mental loopholes {ahem, excuses} that quickly deteriorated my resolve — and bank account. Example: “I know I said no shopping this week, but when am I ever going to find [insert item] in my size at this price again?! This is fate. And this purchase doesn’t count.” Neither did the next five. What can I say, I’m my very best (or worst) enabler. So this time, I’m proclaiming my mission to all the world in hopes that a little accountability will lead to a life-changing, habit-breaking, confidence-boosting triumph!! {Huzzah!}

1. p.s. love how fresh your site design feels!

Posted 11.13.12 Reply
  2. good luck girly! I’m in the same boat, I’m a tad disgusted at my shopping habit (let’s face it, addiction) and want to cut myself off or set limits but I never seem to keep my previous attempts. I about to read up on the budge post and will probably take pointers from you, cause I really need to save in order to take certains steps in my career.

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
    • You can do it, J! If you need a “sponsor” to reach out to in a moment of retail weakness, you know where to find me! ;-)

Posted 11.6.12 Reply
  3. lyddiegal wrote:

you and your puppy both look so cute!

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
  4. Hey!
    I feel the same way about budgets, it’s hard to stick with them but when you make it more of a game or a challenge you would be surprised just how long you can stick with it!

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
    • That’s what I’m hoping!! Thanks for the encouragement!

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
  5. arayofsun wrote:

good for you for vowing to budget! i’ve been thinking the same thing lately and even started an excel spreadsheet to track my spending butttt it lasted all of three days. this inspires me to give it another go! good luck!
    xoxo
    Megan

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
    • Thanks Megan! The idea of a budget spreadsheet just made my little type-A heart go pitter-patter… But like you said, it’s hard to keep up with. I keep a day planner with me at all times, and I’m thinking about jotting down my daily spending in there. I think having a visual of what’s going out of your wallet is a great way to reign it all in! Those $4 coffees add up QUICK.

Posted 11.5.12 Reply
  6. ehug11 wrote:

I LOVE your jumper and also your dog <3

Posted 11.4.12 Reply
  7. Great pictures! Is that your dog?

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  8. i love your top.. really pretty.. where did you get it ??

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  9. Valerie wrote:

Good luck sticking with the budget. Maybe you can make an inspiration board or list about the great things you can do with the money you’ll have monthly once you pay off your credit card. That way when you’re tempted to go for instant gratification, you can think about the long term goals. Usually helps me when I have to stick to a budget.

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  10. GA wrote:

that sweater is just awesome!

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  11. Peggy wrote:

You sound like me! I like your idea. So is that $100 a month or $100 for all four months?

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  12. bunnymysweet wrote:

Super cute look, and even cuter doggie!
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(”)(”)

Posted 11.2.12 Reply
  13. gorgeous! like always :)

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  14. Cathy wrote:

You can do this! I am shaking too! So we will just have to keep encouraging each other! XO

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  15. Corinne wrote:

Love your ‘love’ jumper haha! And good luck with the budget! I’m doing something similar – a complete (clothes) shopping ban for November, to help get my budget back on track. Eek it’s going to be tough because I’m exactly the same as you, can’t resist a bargain! :)

Life etc

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  16. I’m in the same boat!! I’ve been overspending for many months, and this month I’ve decided to go on a money diet, too (sucks that it’s almost Christmas season… And you know what that means!!! Lol)

Good luck!

P/s: your dog is SO adorable! What type of breed?

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  17. love the outfit aaaand the dog!!! <3
    XO

Posted 11.1.12 Reply
  18. I love love love your jumper!!!

Posted 11.1.12 Reply