for a better 2013…

01/01/2013 18 Comments

for a better 2013…

01/01/2013 18 Comments

Recently I came across a list of new year’s resolutions I made in middle school; the first of which was something along the lines of, “this year I’m going to try to gossip less about my friends.” Yikes. {Dear current friends, I swear I’ve grown up a lot since 12. I love you all.}

I can’t remember many resolutions since. While I love the feeling of a fresh start come January 1st,  I’m usually not among the first-in-line-for-the-treadmill-at-the-gym crowd. Because as we all know by February 1st (or sooner) two-thirds of that crowd will be back on the couch with a Big Grab of Lays, so I save the space for the people who actually work out all year. And I can’t stick to a restrictive diet to save my life because I come from a long line of southern people who love to eat, so why bother? I try to maintain a decent balance all year long, so I don’t feel the need for a crazy overhaul when the new one begins.

With that said, I do have a few thoughts {mini-goals} for myself to make this new year a great one. Here they are, in no particular order:

• Work a little less.
  • Continue your less-is-more budget through the entire year.
  • Turn off the TV and read more books.
  • Don’t feel guilty if you want to spend an entire day off napping in your PJs.
  • Honor old traditions, and create a few new ones.
  • Make more time to call and visit the people who love you.
  • Remember that you are what you eat.
  • Set aside some time each day to meditate and pray.
  • Journal. You’re going to want to remember these crazy days.
  • Take Doak on more walks.
  • Volunteer.
  • Keep in mind, “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
  • Fly by the seat of your pants now and then.
  • Live with open hands.

• Laptop Lookbook 01/04/2014 at 6:21 pm

I like the idea of mini goals. I feel as though we feel a better sense of accomplishment when they are completed.

• that’s a wrap! | A Pretty Penny 01/02/2014 at 5:18 pm

[…] time last year, I made a list of goals for a better 2013. They weren’t lofty promises or life-altering resolutions, but simple personal changes that […]

• Phoebe Desiree 01/11/2013 at 1:20 am

I love your mini goals! I specifically like the call people one. I know I forget to do this often.

• cynt5525 01/05/2013 at 6:11 pm

Reblogged this on cynthiajacksonblog.

• Linda 01/02/2013 at 10:53 pm

This morning I read your junior high resolution and almost spit out my tea laughing. It sounds like a resolution I would have written along with “Buy more purple jeans.”

I hope you and your family have a wonderful new year! Keep posting bouquet ideas from your clients. Goodness knows I need them. :o)

• keiralennox 01/08/2013 at 11:05 am

One can never have enough purple jeans, L. Or snotty preteen resolutions for “self-improvement” ;-)

• Clairsi 01/02/2013 at 4:54 pm

Reblogged this on There's No Place Like Home.

• bluebellesandbuttercups 01/02/2013 at 2:40 pm

Great list! Definitely food for thought :)

• Metallic Dapper 01/02/2013 at 11:55 am

This is great. Just great! “Comparison is the thief of joy.” I know I’m guarding mine! Great post dear!
    Ciao.
    themetallicdapper.wordpress.com

• steffy 01/02/2013 at 11:33 am

Excellent resolutions! Happy new year.

• Vanja 01/02/2013 at 11:05 am

Those are great resolutions. Happy New Year! Hope to see you back on Instagram soon…I always love looking at your photos.

• Shon 01/01/2013 at 11:00 pm

Great stuff! I feel the same about setting mini goals that are more attainable than huge, lofty ones. I really love that quote about comparison. I never thought about comparing in that way before.

Happy 2013!!

• keiralennox 01/02/2013 at 3:07 pm

I heard that quote a year or so ago, and it’s one of my favorites. Happy new year!

• […] Years poster via here, via […]

• bodyparty 01/01/2013 at 9:50 pm

Reblogged this on bodyparty.

• Chloe Moon 01/01/2013 at 9:22 pm

What a profound quote…Comparsion is a thief of joy…I like it. I’m so guilty of comparing. ahh!

Happy New Year and best wishes!

• melissajplum 01/01/2013 at 10:02 pm

My thoughts too! Something I need to keep in mind.