heat wave

01/16/2013 20 Comments

heat wave

01/16/2013 20 Comments

IMG_7493 IMG_7530

For the last week or so, I’ve had that old show tune, Heat Wave, stuck in my head. “We’re having a heat waaaaave, a tropical heat waaaaave…” Is it stuck in yours now, too?

While most of you are bundled up in sweaters and scarves, the sunshine state seems to have skipped over winter entirely and moved right into {late} spring. It’s been hawt down here in the southeast for the past couple of weeks, and I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that I may not have another boot-wearing opportunity until next year. But I may sneak in a scarf or two before the season officially changes and suffer the sweaty suffocating consequences. I mean, it’s only January!

Speaking of heat, you may have noticed that I chopped off about 8 inches off my mane last week.  Well, I didn’t chop it off — I had professional help. I just really couldn’t stomach the idea of dealing with waist-long hair through a Florida spring/summer. There are things people don’t tell you about super long locks… Like how it gets matted into an impossible tangerine-sized tangle at the nape of your neck when you wear even the tiniest hint of a collar. Or how it gets caught under your armpit and wrapped around your arm while you’re sleeping. And how piling it all up on the top of your head to get it out of the way gives you a raging headache by midday and leaves a lingering sore spot on your scalp. Oh, and I’ll spare you the gory details of the terrifying things my poor husband had to pull out of the shower drain… Glamorous, eh? Anyway, it was fun while it lasted, but I’m feeling a whole lot lighter and can finally check “Grow my hair down to my arse before I’m 30” off my bucket list.

Wearing: { gifted vintage silk skirt from Little Tin Soldier; floral skirt {m.marie many seasons ago); Steve Madden clutch (Marshall’s); Seychelles leather loafers (Hautelook); Tom Ford sunnies c/o RueLaLa }

• Linda 01/22/2013 at 8:46 pm

I meant to tell you last week that I love the blouse on you– it’s the perfect shade of green that goes with your hair, and I also like that you paired it with a bold skirt. I’m planning to send you another care package soon!

The temperature here goes up and down. We were in the 40’s and 50’s and this week we’ll have 70’s. Aaaargh!

• Michelle and Cece 01/20/2013 at 11:05 pm

You are so cute. Makes me want to dye my hair brown.

• brewedtogether 01/20/2013 at 10:50 pm

Love this outfit! So cute and perfect for spring!

• DSNY Family » Heat Wave! 01/19/2013 at 1:02 pm

[…] heat wave […]

• Anne 01/19/2013 at 9:46 am

Looking beautiful as always:)

• Kat G. 01/18/2013 at 6:56 pm

Your hair looks great! And this just might be my favorite outfit you’ve ever worn on here! Super cute!

• nicole s. 01/17/2013 at 8:15 pm

i need you to know that i have had heat wave stuck in my head for 8+ hours.

• Tab 01/17/2013 at 3:16 pm

My hair is waist long also and I have the same arm pit tangle problem. Plus it is always a matted mess due to the winter hat wearing here in the cold north.

• Vanja 01/17/2013 at 11:29 am

I loved your super-long hair but I also love it at this length – looks more polished and sassy, too!

• Lidia 01/17/2013 at 10:47 am

You look gorgeous! Although the long hair was very pretty, this short hair is lovely too, much fresher and voluminous! I didn’t even notice the haircut at first, just how lovely it looked styled like that!

• Nanda Secrets 01/17/2013 at 8:07 am
  • Hannah Pinches 01/16/2013 at 10:33 pm

I love the new hair!
    That feeling of the fresh cut ends makes me love having my hairs cut.
    But my brushing arm spends the first week brushing my shoulder/back ha

• keiralennox 01/22/2013 at 10:04 am

Haha, this is so true! And the first few times you shampoo, it feels really weird.

• Alex 01/16/2013 at 7:39 pm

Ah, I’ve seen all of my Florida friends post pictures of them swimming in the beach! My boyfriend lives in Orlando and teases me all the time about going to graduate school in NJ. Enjoy the weather and you always come up with the cutest outfits!

• Sarah's Real Life 01/16/2013 at 6:34 pm

I was thinking you look extra great in the photos and I wasn’t even thinking about how long your hair was…now I know what changed! Looks great! I bet you feel 10 lbs lighter, right?

Sarah’s Real Life (Bead for Life giveaway in progress…)

• keiralennox 01/22/2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks, Sarah!! Yes, SO much lighter.

• amy 01/16/2013 at 5:39 pm