weekends and the dress code

When I pulled in to Panera last Saturday morning for our breakfast usual — two power sandwiches and a large iced tea for me, in case you were wondering but you probably weren’t — the drive-thru line was wrapped around the building. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I parked the car and ran inside to order.

One of two girls working the front register asked if I was headed to the big swim meet at the community pool across the street. “No, I’m going to work,” I replied.

You’re allowed to wear that to work?!

My first reaction was to panic. Did I leave the house without pants?! Was the dress I pulled from the closet this morning in my sleepy stupor actually a sheer bathing suit cover-up? Crazier things have happened when dressing myself; like the time I rushed home on my lunch break many years ago, switched my stilettos for Chad’s flip-flops to take a baby Doak outside, and headed back to my super-corporate-dress-code office still wearing giant dirty men’s Reefs.

After silently affirming my decency with a quick mental head-to-toe check, I explained that I owned a flower shop and kept my style pretty casual, especially on weekends. She was still incredulous about a dress code that would permit clothing fit for a day at the beach, so her co-worker chimed in with, “She said it’s hers, so she can wear whatever she wants!!”

Yes, the power to write your own dress code is one of the perks of being self-employed. One of just a few. That business of being able to make your own hours and take as many vacations as you want is baloney.

{ lace dress: Macy’s clearance, $20 | Nine West hat | Gianni Bini sandals | snakeskin clutch purchased at an outlet store }

1. Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
    globe all iis existing on web?

Posted 8.14.14 Reply
  2. ferrahka wrote:

You are one gorgeous lady !!
    I’m a new blogger and I hope I can become like you:)
    Lots of love xoxo

Posted 5.27.13 Reply
    • Well aren’t you sweet! Thank you very much, and good luck with your blog!

Posted 5.28.13 Reply
  3. çok güzelllllll

Posted 5.22.13 Reply
  4. Shannon wrote:

so cute!

Posted 4.30.13 Reply
  5. I love the dress! And I’m jealous of your flower shop. How lovely!

Posted 4.29.13 Reply
  6. meryscarsa wrote:

I love your dress, shoes, hat and bag!!! Great idea for work.

Warmest regards from capturaviaje.com.

Posted 4.26.13 Reply
  7. Reblogged this on sarahhutchinson80.

Posted 4.26.13 Reply
  8. Love the sandals! Those are on my summer wish list :)

9. SimplyChic wrote:
    Posted 4.25.13 Reply
  10. Adorable! Love your weekend style. I could use a weekend makeover!!

11. annikalove wrote:

Love it ! You look a bit like Demi Lovato ! :)

12. elizrodrig wrote:

I love your hat and outfit! Great to get dressed for work how you wish!

Posted 4.25.13 Reply
  13. I really like brightly coloured lace dresses but I never quite got my head around how to wear one (pretty, sexy, fun and fancy all at once???), it never occurd to me to wear one in the day teamed with flatts. Thanks for the ispiration.

Posted 4.25.13 Reply
    • That’s why I love them so much! They’re surprisingly versatile :) I’ve worn this dress to a cocktail party with heels, too.

Posted 4.25.13 Reply
  14. Cute outfit! I think it’s perfect for a Saturday work day!

15. Love your outfit!

16. nikyvanloo wrote:

what a lovely dress!

17. shakeabush wrote:

Love this outfit, the colour of your dress is lovely! I wish it was warm enough here in the UK to wear outfits like that more often!

Posted 4.25.13 Reply
  18. haha, that would have been my first reaction, too! love the look :)

x chelsie / chelsiedarling.com

19. Shin wrote:

Loving the dress! Gorgeous blue:)

20. Really cute style!

21. I LOVE your dress!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  22. Super cute, and if you wore that in my little country town everyone would think you were dressed up! Ahh the differences. Great color too :)
    ~Rachelle

23. Love the look!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  24. You had me at “ain’t nobody got time for that”. Cute outfit!

25. Suezanne wrote:

Love the color! And I think it’s appropriate for anytime.I like how not all your pic’s are just from the front. So many Hollywood pic’s are only taken of the front and I’m like show me the back of the hair once in a while:) Love your style.

26. Cait wrote:

Love that dress! And I think it’s completely appropriate for a flower shop!

27. Rachel wrote:

Cute dress!

28. azbacoats wrote:

Really like the elbow length ruffle sleeve. Adorable.

29. shannon wrote:

I love this outfit!!! From the hat to the shoes it’s perfection!

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  30. So cute! Love it :) So funny that you included the Ain’t nobody got time for that link, I just did the same thing on a post about the weekend. Great minds think alike!

31. Your weekend style is great and inspires me. ;) <3 it

Posted 4.24.13 Reply
  32. Literally sitting in a Panera drinking Iced Tea right now (their iced tea is amazing!) LOVE this outfit! Very cute