beauty on a budget: my summer drugstore picks

06/19/2013 40 Comments

beauty on a budget: my summer drugstore picks

06/19/2013 40 Comments
Beauty on a Budget: My Summer Drugstore Picks

If you’re anything like me, every time you stop at Walgreens for toilet paper and contact solution, you leave with a bag full of impulse beauty BOGO buys and at least one bottle of Essie polish. Over the years, I’ve probably tried hundreds of different drugstore cosmetics, and most of the time I’m left underwhelmed and broken out. But every now and then, I stumble upon an awesome product that restores my faith in the mass market beauty industry.

Keep reading for a rundown on the drugstore products I’ve added into my daily rotation this summer!

Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio – Nude: ($11.99) Many eyeliners don’t stand a chance against Florida heat and humidity in the summer months, and there’s nothing worse than checking yourself in the mirror mid-day to find your liner smeared all over your lids and running down your face. I love that this product comes in a set of three, and the colors are all great neutrals for everyday wear. They’re perfect for creating a soft blended liner look, but you have to work quickly on the blending because once it dries it’s not going anywhere until you take it off with eye makeup remover.

Physicians Formula Bronze Booster Glow Boosting Pressed Powder: ($14.95) Bronzer is a must-have this time of year, and I prefer the ones that aren’t orange or too shimmery. This is great for adding natural warmth to the face, in a formula that blends easily and lasts all day.

Revlon Moon Drops Creme Lipstick in Orange Flip: ($8.99) For summer, I love the look of glowing skin with a bold lip. This bold orange is so pretty paired with bronzer and a simple gold smokey eye.

Cover Girl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm: ($8.99) I love Clinique Chubby Sticks, but I’ve read reviews that said these were a pretty good dupe at half the price. I bought two on BOGO last week — Toffee Twist and Haute Pink Twist — and I’m really impressed! Like the Chubby Sticks, they’re moisturizing with good color payoff. The only thing that would make them better is an added SPF benefit, but Clinique doesn’t offer that, either.

Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadow: ($6.99) I’ve been using Barely Branded and Bad to the Bronze. They’re great alone, or as a base for powder shadows. They last all day, and don’t crease or smear, even without a shadow primer.

Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara in Blackest Black: ($5.49) Great Lash is a cult classic, and I can completely understand why. Remember the humidity I mentioned earlier? It does awful things to mascara, too, like melting it onto your eyelids and turning you into a raccoon. This formula goes on easily without a clump, and lasts all day without smudging, smearing, or flaking. I’m having a hard time remembering why I ever paid more than $20 for mascara!

What are your favorite drugstore beauty buys this summer? Any BB or CC creams you’re swearing by?

• myclosetnbeautyfinds90 07/19/2013 at 8:07 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that Physician’s Formula bronzer! It looks like it won’t be orange at all! : )

• Megan 07/07/2013 at 3:34 pm

I love maybelline eye products, especially mascaras! Have you tried anything by e.l.f.? I really like their products too.

• idivahhh 06/30/2013 at 2:11 am

Republicou isso em Idivahhhe comentado:
    Loved this tips! Love drugstore makeup cheap itens! Go grab yours!

• alexnicole97 06/27/2013 at 4:42 am

Reblogged this on Beauty never fades, just gets riper with age. and commented:
    If I can save money, the whole world is in balance.

• magnolia2pearl 06/26/2013 at 1:25 am

Reblogged this on Magnolia Pearl .

• cnartelt 06/25/2013 at 10:26 pm

Your blog is just so pretty! I’ve been obsessed with Maybelline One by One mascara lately. It makes my lashes look so long and luscious!

• Ada 06/25/2013 at 8:05 pm

I will need to check out the gloss balms! I love chubby sticks! :)

• raeeelene 06/25/2013 at 4:27 am

Great picks! Loving the Maybelline Colour Tattoo Eye Shadow!

• Nanda Secrets 06/24/2013 at 11:40 pm
  • Rebecca 06/24/2013 at 3:02 pm

Great picks! I would love to try that mascara!

Rebecca

• pennywisepoundcake 06/24/2013 at 2:02 pm

Maybelline mascara is the best and super waterproof! Good finds : )

• Ashley 06/24/2013 at 11:07 am

Loving the Revlon lipstick! I think I now have to go pick one up for myself. : )

• bethantomo 06/23/2013 at 12:54 pm

loving this! definitely going to try some out and take them on my hols :) xx

• fashionfollowsher 06/23/2013 at 7:45 am

The last nail polish I picked up at the drugstore was a pot of Mint Macaroon NYC nail polish and I loved it!

• maybeitsaboutroro 06/22/2013 at 10:43 pm

Oh pretty colors!Definitely for summer. I love the Revlon lipstick! Thanks :) kisses from roro

• jennifuk 06/22/2013 at 2:22 pm

skin 79 bb cream in vip gold collection is my absolute fav! you can get them a little less than the drug store brands. havent tried cc cream yet, next on my to do list.

• grace2389 06/22/2013 at 2:21 am

Reblogged this on gracemeishion and commented:
    fashion, meishion …

• beingunique1234 06/21/2013 at 10:02 pm

On Instagram I am funtime101111

• beingunique1234 06/21/2013 at 10:01 pm

Awesome style

• All in a Soiree 06/20/2013 at 5:03 pm

absolutely adore that mascara!

• Liz Dulacki 06/20/2013 at 12:50 pm

I love Cetaphil moisturizers. I have extremely sensitive skin and they’re the only thing that doesn’t add to my breakouts. I also really love Sonia Kashuk lipstick from Target. Great colors and moisture.

• betiluvsmakeup 06/20/2013 at 12:35 pm

I have heard good things on the Revlon Moondrops …….so want to try them…they say they are comparable to the Vivids.

• 1reddiva83 06/20/2013 at 11:34 am

Iman BB Creme is awesome. However, I am trying Revlon products out and one of them is the lipstick in Siren

• meghansilva 06/20/2013 at 11:15 am

I really want to try those color tattoo’s they seem so awesome , great selection of products .

Meghan Silva’s Blog

• The Fashion Huntress 06/20/2013 at 8:37 am

That happens to me every time I’m in Walgreens! Good picks! !

• bubliibeauty 06/20/2013 at 3:01 am

You looking great … I’m currently enjoying new Maybelline color tattoo and Revlon lipstains …

• gina4star 06/20/2013 at 12:40 am

I’m in love with the L’Oreal Nude Magique BB cream! It’s about 200 pesos which is about ten pounds, which is about eleven-ish euros, which is about… aaaargh I’m out of exchange rates! :P But it’s pretty cheap and I think it’s amazing. Great post, I do like a quality bargain. :)

• peculiarpearl 06/19/2013 at 10:21 pm

The Great Lash is a must! I wear hardly any make up but mascara is a must to add some energy to my eyes.

peculiarpearl.wordpress.com

• Vanja 06/19/2013 at 9:58 pm

That’s a great list – will have to try the bronzer/pressed powder since I’ve been looking for one since last month. My current obsession is the Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lip Soother – it comes in 9 shades, SPF 20, about $6.

• haleyjacqueline420 06/19/2013 at 9:10 pm

Reblogged this on Beauty Bag.

• authorkathryn 06/19/2013 at 8:53 pm

I have been faithful to Maybelline Great Lash mascaras forever. It works so well and makes my lashes look long and luscious. I’ll never switch!

• jinelleloves 06/19/2013 at 6:35 pm

I love your picks and can’t wait to try them. Nice post!

jinelle.wordpress.com

• fashionforlunch 06/19/2013 at 6:07 pm

Great post! Thanks!

• Megan 06/19/2013 at 6:00 pm

I just had to nod in agreement like a bobblehead…for me, it’s when I go to Walgreens to pick up a prescription for a sick kiddo and, while waiting, I load up on 2 new shampoos, and a bag full of lipsticks as well (LOL)! So, I am right there with ya…I am a DIE HARD Maybelline Great Lash girl…mascara is probably my most important cosmetic so, I have TRIED.THEM.ALL. And, even with my allegiance to Great Lash, I’ve still given in to the magical advertising campaigns of more than one brand…still, absolutely NOTHING compares to Great Lash! Lengthens, doesn’t clump, goes on easy…I am dedicated, I tell ya! My only beef is that, over the last 3 years or so, I think they have been putting less in the bottle…I wear make up less often than I did before kids, yet I seem to run out/it dries out quicker than it used to. Still, at about $4 a pop, and sometimes a coupon, that is WELL within my monthly budget!!

• actionbeaute 06/19/2013 at 5:55 pm

i should definitely try this Revlon lipstick :)

• Shon 06/19/2013 at 5:13 pm

What a great list! I will date myself and admit that I grew up wearing Orange Flip!! It was a staple in every Texas girl’s makeup bag growing up. I have been wanting to try the Color Tattoo and will most certainly now.

Enjoy your summer!

• Tiffany 06/19/2013 at 4:54 pm

I’m loving the new Revlon lip glosses! So many pretty shades,

• chloescravings 06/19/2013 at 4:53 pm

Hi girl! Just wanted to let you know I have a new blog on my tumblr which is chloescravings.tumblr.com and my fashion Instagram is: chloescravings ! Do you have an Instagram by any chance?:) lemme know! Xoxo,
    Chloe

• keiralennox 06/19/2013 at 4:55 pm

I sure do! You can find me as keiralennox. I’ll check out your tumblr and instagram!

• beingunique1234 06/21/2013 at 10:03 pm

On Instagram I am funtime101111
      What photo editing app did u use