beauty on a budget: my summer drugstore picks

Beauty on a Budget: My Summer Drugstore Picks

If you’re anything like me, every time you stop at Walgreens for toilet paper and contact solution, you leave with a bag full of impulse beauty BOGO buys and at least one bottle of Essie polish. Over the years, I’ve probably tried hundreds of different drugstore cosmetics, and most of the time I’m left underwhelmed and broken out. But every now and then, I stumble upon an awesome product that restores my faith in the mass market beauty industry.

Keep reading for a rundown on the drugstore products I’ve added into my daily rotation this summer!

Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio – Nude: ($11.99) Many eyeliners don’t stand a chance against Florida heat and humidity in the summer months, and there’s nothing worse than checking yourself in the mirror mid-day to find your liner smeared all over your lids and running down your face. I love that this product comes in a set of three, and the colors are all great neutrals for everyday wear. They’re perfect for creating a soft blended liner look, but you have to work quickly on the blending because once it dries it’s not going anywhere until you take it off with eye makeup remover.

Physicians Formula Bronze Booster Glow Boosting Pressed Powder: ($14.95) Bronzer is a must-have this time of year, and I prefer the ones that aren’t orange or too shimmery. This is great for adding natural warmth to the face, in a formula that blends easily and lasts all day.

Revlon Moon Drops Creme Lipstick in Orange Flip: ($8.99) For summer, I love the look of glowing skin with a bold lip. This bold orange is so pretty paired with bronzer and a simple gold smokey eye.

Cover Girl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm: ($8.99) I love Clinique Chubby Sticks, but I’ve read reviews that said these were a pretty good dupe at half the price. I bought two on BOGO last week — Toffee Twist and Haute Pink Twist — and I’m really impressed! Like the Chubby Sticks, they’re moisturizing with good color payoff. The only thing that would make them better is an added SPF benefit, but Clinique doesn’t offer that, either.

Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadow: ($6.99) I’ve been using Barely Branded and Bad to the Bronze. They’re great alone, or as a base for powder shadows. They last all day, and don’t crease or smear, even without a shadow primer.

Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara in Blackest Black: ($5.49) Great Lash is a cult classic, and I can completely understand why. Remember the humidity I mentioned earlier? It does awful things to mascara, too, like melting it onto your eyelids and turning you into a raccoon. This formula goes on easily without a clump, and lasts all day without smudging, smearing, or flaking. I’m having a hard time remembering why I ever paid more than $20 for mascara!

What are your favorite drugstore beauty buys this summer? Any BB or CC creams you’re swearing by?

1. I’ve been wanting to try that Physician’s Formula bronzer! It looks like it won’t be orange at all! : )

Posted 7.19.13 Reply
  2. Megan wrote:

I love maybelline eye products, especially mascaras! Have you tried anything by e.l.f.? I really like their products too.

Posted 7.7.13 Reply
  3. idivahhh wrote:

Republicou isso em Idivahhhe comentado:
    Loved this tips! Love drugstore makeup cheap itens! Go grab yours!

Posted 6.30.13 Reply
  4. Reblogged this on Beauty never fades, just gets riper with age. and commented:
    If I can save money, the whole world is in balance.

Posted 6.27.13 Reply
  5. Reblogged this on Magnolia Pearl .

Posted 6.26.13 Reply
  6. cnartelt wrote:

Your blog is just so pretty! I’ve been obsessed with Maybelline One by One mascara lately. It makes my lashes look so long and luscious!

Posted 6.25.13 Reply
  7. Ada wrote:

I will need to check out the gloss balms! I love chubby sticks! :)

Posted 6.25.13 Reply
  8. raeeelene wrote:

Great picks! Loving the Maybelline Colour Tattoo Eye Shadow!

Posted 6.25.13 Reply
  9. Posted 6.24.13 Reply
  10. Rebecca wrote:

Great picks! I would love to try that mascara!

Rebecca

Posted 6.24.13 Reply
  11. Maybelline mascara is the best and super waterproof! Good finds : )

Posted 6.24.13 Reply
  12. Ashley wrote:

Loving the Revlon lipstick! I think I now have to go pick one up for myself. : )

Posted 6.24.13 Reply
  13. bethantomo wrote:

loving this! definitely going to try some out and take them on my hols :) xx

Posted 6.23.13 Reply
  14. The last nail polish I picked up at the drugstore was a pot of Mint Macaroon NYC nail polish and I loved it!

Posted 6.23.13 Reply
  15. Oh pretty colors!Definitely for summer. I love the Revlon lipstick! Thanks :) kisses from roro

Posted 6.22.13 Reply
  16. jennifuk wrote:

skin 79 bb cream in vip gold collection is my absolute fav! you can get them a little less than the drug store brands. havent tried cc cream yet, next on my to do list.

Posted 6.22.13 Reply
  17. grace2389 wrote:

Reblogged this on gracemeishion and commented:
    fashion, meishion …

Posted 6.22.13 Reply
  18. On Instagram I am funtime101111

Posted 6.21.13 Reply
  19. Awesome style

Posted 6.21.13 Reply
  20. absolutely adore that mascara!

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  21. I love Cetaphil moisturizers. I have extremely sensitive skin and they’re the only thing that doesn’t add to my breakouts. I also really love Sonia Kashuk lipstick from Target. Great colors and moisture.

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  22. I have heard good things on the Revlon Moondrops …….so want to try them…they say they are comparable to the Vivids.

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  23. 1reddiva83 wrote:

Iman BB Creme is awesome. However, I am trying Revlon products out and one of them is the lipstick in Siren

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  24. I really want to try those color tattoo’s they seem so awesome , great selection of products .

Meghan Silva’s Blog

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  25. That happens to me every time I’m in Walgreens! Good picks! !

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  26. You looking great … I’m currently enjoying new Maybelline color tattoo and Revlon lipstains …

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  27. gina4star wrote:

I’m in love with the L’Oreal Nude Magique BB cream! It’s about 200 pesos which is about ten pounds, which is about eleven-ish euros, which is about… aaaargh I’m out of exchange rates! :P But it’s pretty cheap and I think it’s amazing. Great post, I do like a quality bargain. :)

Posted 6.20.13 Reply
  28. The Great Lash is a must! I wear hardly any make up but mascara is a must to add some energy to my eyes.

peculiarpearl.wordpress.com

29. Vanja wrote:

That’s a great list – will have to try the bronzer/pressed powder since I’ve been looking for one since last month. My current obsession is the Neutrogena Moisture Shine Lip Soother – it comes in 9 shades, SPF 20, about $6.

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
  30. Reblogged this on Beauty Bag.

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
  31. I have been faithful to Maybelline Great Lash mascaras forever. It works so well and makes my lashes look long and luscious. I’ll never switch!

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
  32. I love your picks and can’t wait to try them. Nice post!

jinelle.wordpress.com

33. Great post! Thanks!

34. Megan wrote:

I just had to nod in agreement like a bobblehead…for me, it’s when I go to Walgreens to pick up a prescription for a sick kiddo and, while waiting, I load up on 2 new shampoos, and a bag full of lipsticks as well (LOL)! So, I am right there with ya…I am a DIE HARD Maybelline Great Lash girl…mascara is probably my most important cosmetic so, I have TRIED.THEM.ALL. And, even with my allegiance to Great Lash, I’ve still given in to the magical advertising campaigns of more than one brand…still, absolutely NOTHING compares to Great Lash! Lengthens, doesn’t clump, goes on easy…I am dedicated, I tell ya! My only beef is that, over the last 3 years or so, I think they have been putting less in the bottle…I wear make up less often than I did before kids, yet I seem to run out/it dries out quicker than it used to. Still, at about $4 a pop, and sometimes a coupon, that is WELL within my monthly budget!!

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
  35. i should definitely try this Revlon lipstick :)

36. Shon wrote:

What a great list! I will date myself and admit that I grew up wearing Orange Flip!! It was a staple in every Texas girl’s makeup bag growing up. I have been wanting to try the Color Tattoo and will most certainly now.

Enjoy your summer!

37. Tiffany wrote:

I’m loving the new Revlon lip glosses! So many pretty shades,

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
  38. Hi girl! Just wanted to let you know I have a new blog on my tumblr which is chloescravings.tumblr.com and my fashion Instagram is: chloescravings ! Do you have an Instagram by any chance?:) lemme know! Xoxo,
    Chloe

Posted 6.19.13 Reply
    • I sure do! You can find me as keiralennox. I’ll check out your tumblr and instagram!

• On Instagram I am funtime101111
      What photo editing app did u use

Posted 6.21.13 Reply