growing up and paring down, part 1: the purge

09/09/2013 45 Comments

growing up and paring down, part 1: the purge

09/09/2013 45 Comments

I spent a good chunk of Labor Day knee-deep in a closet edit of epic proportions. I sorted through every rack, rod and cubby, pulling the items I couldn’t see myself wearing in 3 years and tossing them in a pile on the bed. After a couple of hours, a mountain of ill-fitting trendy printed denim, flimsy clearance bin tops, and elastic-waist polyester dresses covered the bedspread.

I surveyed the teetering stack of clothing — the spoils of years of bargain shopping and too much style “inspiration” — and thought to myself, You’re doing it wrong. These things don’t look like they belong in the same woman’s closet.

I’d created a monster, fed by blog trends and Pinterest and deep discounts; and I’d lost my point of view along the way.

Then I made a rash decision: I couldn’t move forward with creating a well-edited wardrobe with all this stuff taking up valuable closet real estate. I bagged it all up neatly (it took three Hefty’s and a good dose of resolve) and drove it to the local women’s resource center the following morning.

For the last two weeks, getting dressed has been so much easier. I’ll tell you more about it in part two.

To be continued!

Wearing:

Cynthia Rowley dolman tee via TJ Maxx (SIMILAR) | American Eagle skinnies | Nine West sandals | Olivia & Joy Dynamo bag

• […] together, and lather, rinse, repeat. The cycle would’ve continued forever if I hadn’t purged all the excess, approached my style with some intention, and laid down a new set of shopping […]

• One In One Out | Keira Lennox 01/07/2016 at 6:29 pm

[…] Since The Great Purge of 2013 that concluded my quarter life identity crisis and ushered in a new era of mindful consumption, I haven’t needed any intense de-cluttering. But while I shop with intention and carefully consider most purchases, I still fall into retail therapy traps and have, um, abundance issues. I’ll always be a work in progress. […]

• […] wasn’t until the Labor Day 2013 Purge to End All Purges that I got the moment of clarity I so desperately needed: the trick wasn’t filling a closet […]

• Get Outta Town | A Pretty Penny 07/22/2014 at 4:14 pm

[…] Every time we manage to get out of town, we swear up and down we’re going to make quality time off a priority. I’m all about a good staycation, but sometimes you just need some beach/mountain/forest/spa air in your lungs and a break from your everyday surroundings to really relax. Plus, I always end up doing something worky when I’m supposed to be unwinding at home; see: The Great Closet Purge of Labor Day 2013. […]

• dickmanbri 10/23/2013 at 3:09 pm

I find myself doing the same thing! “Oh that looks so cute on her!” Buy it, get it home, wear it once, to the back of the closet it goes!

• Ines Coelho 10/22/2013 at 4:42 am

I have just recently switched to the same philosophy, and it’s totally worth it!!
    Follow my style and travel blog: inescoelho.com

• fashionfiveways 09/23/2013 at 2:31 am

I love your bag! You can’t go wrong with a structured black bag with hold accents.

• earleenabf 09/13/2013 at 1:56 am

Reblogged this on earleenblog.

• Ashley Rae 09/10/2013 at 10:11 pm

I love this mentality! I might do the same. I feel so overwhelmed by my closet sometimes. Can’t wait to read part 2!

• jessthetics 09/10/2013 at 2:01 pm

Well done! i’m doing something similar at the moment – getting rid of clotehs I don’t love – and it feels so good to have space in my wardrobe again! xx

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:03 pm

Thanks! It makes me appreciate my favorite pieces so much more! I can actually see them now, instead of wading through lots of filler stuff.

• melindagraham 09/10/2013 at 10:25 am

I would do this if I could ever throw anything away.

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:04 pm

It’s definitely tough letting go. Donating it to a local charity makes it a little easier :)

• wllw 09/10/2013 at 7:12 am

I could definitely see myself doing something similar in the future too… Life is so much more relaxing without the clutter! xx

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:04 pm

Exactly! I just want to simplify everything these days.

• withought23 09/10/2013 at 1:26 am

Can totally relate! It’s nice to hear someone verbalize it:) looking forward to part 2.
    Abby

• kholzhauer 09/10/2013 at 1:23 am

You’re speaking my language. I know I’ve got a big wardrobe edit/revamp coming soon. I’m still not quite pulled together and dressing my age, so while I don’t have a ton of clothes, I’m a little too casual/haphazard for my life, super-casual job or not. First step, editing.

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:06 pm

It’s something I’ve been thinking about a LOT lately. I spent a lot of my 20’s figuring out my style, and I think I’ve finally nailed down the aesthetic I’m most comfortable with. Now I’m just working on editing my closet to reflect that aesthetic.

Pinterest was helpful for figuring out the looks I really loved!

• ashlyandmonkey 09/10/2013 at 12:24 am

I love cleaning out my closet and getting a fresh start! It’s like a weight is lifted. Can’t wait to read part 2!

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:06 pm

Totally! I was going to put something just like that in this post. I love a good fresh start :)

• lovelyjandl 09/10/2013 at 12:18 am

Very cute. Love your bag.

• caitlinmaclean 09/09/2013 at 11:44 pm

I love a good wardrobe cleanse! I do it two-three times and year, not as big a haul each time if it do that way and I don’t feel as bad getting ride of stuff.

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:07 pm

I think that’s a really smart way to do it. I used to be guilty of cleaning out my closet TOO often, and then I was always shopping to fill it back up. I’m hoping that this will be the last major clean-out for a while!

• Victoria 09/09/2013 at 10:59 pm

oh if only I could be as strong as you and do the same!

• Natalie's Style Nook 09/09/2013 at 10:53 pm

This is great! Getting dressed when you have a closet full of clothes you love is so much easier and more enjoyable!!

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:08 pm

It really is, Natalie! Now when I walk in my closet, it’s filled with stuff I really love that works well together. It took a decade, but I think I’m finally getting it! ;-)

• Jamie @RubySlipperDiaries 09/09/2013 at 9:58 pm

I really need to purge too, it will take me a week to get through it all. I’m always afraid I’ll get rid of something and …. Enter- Purgers Remorse.

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:09 pm

Oh man. I know purger’s remorse all too well. I actually had to take a break from cleaning my closet for a while because I was thinning it out every couple of months. This time I made myself wait about a year before really weeding things out. I’ll explain more soon!

• gracebeekman 09/09/2013 at 9:57 pm

Cute look! Love your heels. Purging the closet can feel like such a relief sometimes! And it’s funny how some pieces are just timeless…like the plain white or grey tees. It’s a process I should really go through in my own closet!

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:10 pm

It’s funny, but I feel like my style is becoming alarmingly casual lately. I would be perfectly content with a closet full of good jeans and quality tees! ;)

• Katie 09/09/2013 at 9:48 pm

Such amazing inspiration! And not the bargin bin/pinterest kind. I love pinning looks that I can recreate, but more for the overall aesthetic than exact item replication. I believe in investing in the things that matter (blazers, great jeans) and move from season to season. The trendy items I’m ok buying at Target or Forever 21 because who knows if you’ll be wearing it in 2 months, much less liking it in 2 years. Can’t wait to see Part Two!
    XO
    Katie

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:10 pm

I couldn’t have said it better myself, Katie!!

• authorkathryn 09/09/2013 at 9:42 pm

I am in desperate need of doing this exact same thing!

• mjd2705 09/09/2013 at 9:24 pm

What a great post. I’m knee deep in the monster too. My wardrobe sounds like it must look much the same as yours pre-clean out.

• Devin 09/09/2013 at 9:13 pm

So great! I myself am currently working on buying simple and durable pieces I love to build my closet. I have fallen victim to pieces that don’t work with anything else in my closet (Pinterest brainwash) and or cheap clothing that I love that quickly falls apart. As much as I love Target…I have to stay away from that place! My last 5 purchases have shrunk, torn, ripped or had surprise stains after the first wear.
    Time to upgrade to a big girl closet!

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:11 pm

Ugh, Target. I feel ya. I’m taking a break from their clothing department myself, for this exact reason.

• Michelle 09/09/2013 at 8:40 pm

This is inspiring! I’ve been meaning to do this to my own closet for months now…maybe I’ll finally buckle down and do it.

• Organizational Specialist 09/09/2013 at 7:43 pm

Don’t you love all that new space! Can’t wait for part 2

• TB 09/09/2013 at 7:09 pm

Good for you! I also fall victim to the “but it’s cheap” rationale… Settling for things that aren’t quite right. I have to start thinking about cost per wear! Looking forward to seeing your part 2.

• keiralennox 09/10/2013 at 2:12 pm

My girlfriends are so good at breaking down CPW when shopping. It’s something I’m really working on implementing in my shopping habits, too!

• Oby Grace 09/09/2013 at 6:49 pm