5 reasons I “need” a [faux] leather skirt this season

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5

Never did I ever think I’d consider a black leather mini skirt a versatile closet basic, but Pinterest has me convinced — I need one for fall/winter.

I think there’s a fine line between a leather skirt that looks chic and edgy, and one that looks, uh, you know. I have a few requirements (standards, if you will) for the perfect pleather mate: (1) Fit – it should sit at the waist and fall just a few inches above the knee. (2) Fabric – it should be thick and matte, like a quality authentic leather; no flimsy patent, please and thank you. (3) Flair – the simpler the better; no fussy studs, peplums, zippers, or unnecessary accouterments.

The hunt is on…

1. Teresa wrote:

Personally I can’t wait for the whole ‘leather’ thing to go away, it’s impossible to find one that’s not to shiny or to short. I’ve seen girls wearing leather skirts and it’s put me way off the whole thing, the wrong style skirt will look awful when you walk!

Posted 11.9.13 Reply
    • It’s true, it’s really difficult to find the right kind of leather skirt that’s well-made and classy (and doesn’t cost a fortune!). I haven’t found one yet myself.

Posted 11.10.13 Reply
  2. Love the one on the bottom left. I feel like I would try and rock it and completely fail… Anyone else? Haha

Posted 10.23.13 Reply
  3. A faux leather skirt is an essential for any ladies closet

Posted 10.21.13 Reply
  4. Kay wrote:

Ugh I’m so in love with those skirts! Absolutely lovely!

Posted 10.16.13 Reply
  5. Reblogged this on Hello blondie and commented:
    I could not agree more with this post!

Posted 10.14.13 Reply
  6. I neeeed to get myself a faux leather skirt for a/w13 too!! I have been perusing the high street but like you – the hunt is still on. I am new to blogging and would really appreciate it if you could check out my blog http://thebritishthrift.wordpress.com for fashion, vintage styling and thrifty tips! :-D

Posted 10.10.13 Reply
  7. thernv02 wrote:

Great post. Love how to link to Pinterest so we can actually see the skirt up close.

Posted 10.10.13 Reply
  8. Super cute!love the style keep it up

Posted 10.9.13 Reply
  9. maishaMORE wrote:

You don’t know you want something until Keira points out loud and clear for you

Posted 10.8.13 Reply
  10. 1968erika wrote:

Republicou isso em Seja mais, seja você!e comentado:
    Couro, couro e couro!!! dá para usar e ficar elegante!

Posted 10.7.13 Reply
  11. L’ha ribloggato su Silvia Consigliae ha commentato:
    Love faux leather too

Posted 10.7.13 Reply
  12. I love the contrast between edgy leather and a chunky casual jumper, the first pic is definitely my fav. I have a leather pencil skirt but I need a mini too! Love the post x

Posted 10.7.13 Reply
  13. Pretty darn cute! Loving the price as well!! Add the faux leather biker coat to the mix and you’re laughing all the way to the bank! Not a fan of wearing them as a uniform!

14. meilutyte wrote:

Recently I bought one so Im very happy about it.. Definately worth having one :)

Posted 10.6.13 Reply
    • Do you mind if I ask where you found it? I’m on the hunt!

• meilutyte wrote:

I bought it at the ”House” store if you know this shop

Posted 10.6.13 Reply
  15. The outfits are just amazing!

Posted 10.6.13 Reply
  16. The outfits are just amazing !

17. lilschan wrote:

I just bought one from River Island at Asos, and I know Asos has a pretty good selection of faux leather skirts. Good luck with your search!

Posted 10.6.13 Reply
    • Thank you for this!! I will check it out!

18. The Borg wrote:

Oh you are quite right quite right! I would never have thought to EVER have a leather/pleather skirt as a curvacious lady but actually, your tips are great and versatile for any shape so woop woop!
    I’m glad I found your blog through a repost from a blogger who like my blog. How the blogosphere turns eh?
    I’m on the hunt too…it’s on!

19. modee wrote:

Reblogged this on Paid Made & Gifted and commented:
    I soooo agree!

• The Borg wrote:

oh yes it was through you Modee that I found this blog! Thanks!

20. Reblogged this on sincerely, Whitney and commented:
    definitely need to get myself one of these skirts. loving this look!

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
  21. LOVE these chic looks. thanks for sharing some fashion inspiration. i think im going to have to go grab myself one of those skirts too!
    xo whit

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
  22. alexrosses wrote:

Reblogged this on Fragile Daydreams and commented:
    when it comes to fashion..
    everything seems better.

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
  23. Yes leather skirts CAN be so pretty. I’ve been searching for one for too long. it’s really hard to find the perfect one

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
  24. Melissa wrote:

Can’t wait to see what you find… Pinterest does that to me too-makes my wish list longer and longer :)

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
  25. blissriter wrote:

in short simplicity is in, rest out!! :-D

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
    • Couldn’t have said it better myself!

26. Alison wrote:

I wish I hadn’t seen this post because lord knows I do not need to be spending any more money but you’ve just convinced me that a faux leather skirt really is a must.

xx Alison

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
    • Haha! But just look at all the ways you can wear it! ;-)

27. darkeyes85 wrote:

Oh. Penny. I knew it was only a matter of time. I have been considering a leather skirt for some time, about past three months but there is one thing on the back of my mind…will it make me look like a hooker? Can I pull it off? I have trawled sites on how to make it work and I suppose the jumper (sweater) combo works. Maybe I will reconsider.

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
    • It really is a fine line! ;-) I think the chunky sweater combo is my favorite.

• darkeyes85 wrote:

I’m going for the leggings instead. Just not brave enough : )

Posted 10.10.13 Reply
  28. Quin wrote:

I just got mine in the mail the other day and love it! It really is an adorable and versatile piece to own :) Hope you get one soon!

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
  29. I knew I wanted one but now I need one big time ;-) http://www.makeupartistas.com

30. Reblogged this on Fashion Silhouette and commented:
    Classy and Chic.

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
  31. Reblogged this on ellenafranklin.

32. lennnair wrote:

It is nice! Very chic and feminine!

33. Rand wrote:

Reblogged this on Im Not A Barbie.

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
  34. I just bought one from H&M. It only arrived two days ago so I have yet to wear it but it looks promising. X

35. bina wrote:

Love all of the looks. (Fake) leather mini and comfortable oversize knitwear. Just love!
    xxbina

36. earleenabf wrote:

Reblogged this on earleenblog.

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
  37. There are also some in forever 21 if ur local :)

Posted 10.4.13 Reply
  38. OMG I wore a faux leather skirt on my blog today :) You need to come check it out! And it cost me only $1, I just had to fix the zipper!
    Xx,
    Z

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  39. Let us know if you find a cute/affordable one, I have been thinking similar thoughts about purchasing one as well!!

40. Sade wrote:

Give me an a-line structured skirt and ill be happy this fall/winter but similar to ‘queenfailure’ I can’t find any that is bwfitting let’s say. If anybody comes across any sites or shops let us know, but great post. Sade, x

41. Lauren wrote:

Totally agree…loving this trend right now! I would also like some leather skinny pants as well!!

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  42. Love the drawstring one!

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  43. I just ordered one from the Catherine Maladrino line for kohls, good price and looked like it won’t be tacky haha, but I’ll keep you posted after I get it in the mail!

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
    • Oh my goodness, please do!! I’m heading over to kohls.com to peep it!

• pja6 wrote:

I have a faux one and a real one. I haven’t been wearing them recently on account of our Indian Summer, but I can’t wait until the air gets a little crisper! They’re great little transitional pieces.

Poor Jessie Ann | A personal style blog.

• Joanna Lizzi wrote:

Hi! I got it in the mail yesterday and I’m going to give it a “pretty good” review, it’s a little shiny and I’m not sure if that makes it look a little cheap but it fits nice and is very comfortable… it’s a tad short but with black tights would be fine… I’m on the fence! It’s definitely good for the price, but not sure if I could find something better in my price range!

Posted 10.5.13 Reply
        • Sounds like it was a good buy! One reader said ASOS has a great selection, too.

Posted 10.6.13 Reply
  44. They really are so versatile for day with boots and a jumper, for the office with a white shirt and flats, for a night out with a fancy top and heels. Try River Island, Dorothy Perkins or Next for other classy versions x

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  45. My boyfriend asked me what the deal with this trend was and all I said was that it was awesome! So chic, I need one now too!

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  46. I completely agree. Every girl needs a leather skirt this season!

47. ljones910 wrote:

I’m totally with you on this article. I’m in need of these skirts as well, but refuse for it to look cheesy.

Posted 10.3.13 Reply
  48. This has completely made me NEED one too! I love the slightly a-line but structured ones, WIth a slouchy jumper it looks amazing. What shops have you seen them in? I haven’t been able to see any simple ones like this that aren’t hideously pricey ! Great blog as usual
    x

@keiralennox

Instagram has returned invalid data.