5 reasons I “need” a [faux] leather skirt this season

10/03/2013 67 Comments

5 reasons I “need” a [faux] leather skirt this season

10/03/2013 67 Comments

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5

Never did I ever think I’d consider a black leather mini skirt a versatile closet basic, but Pinterest has me convinced — I need one for fall/winter.

I think there’s a fine line between a leather skirt that looks chic and edgy, and one that looks, uh, you know. I have a few requirements (standards, if you will) for the perfect pleather mate: (1) Fit – it should sit at the waist and fall just a few inches above the knee. (2) Fabric – it should be thick and matte, like a quality authentic leather; no flimsy patent, please and thank you. (3) Flair – the simpler the better; no fussy studs, peplums, zippers, or unnecessary accouterments.

The hunt is on…

• Teresa 11/09/2013 at 11:58 pm

Personally I can’t wait for the whole ‘leather’ thing to go away, it’s impossible to find one that’s not to shiny or to short. I’ve seen girls wearing leather skirts and it’s put me way off the whole thing, the wrong style skirt will look awful when you walk!

• keiralennox 11/10/2013 at 11:29 am

It’s true, it’s really difficult to find the right kind of leather skirt that’s well-made and classy (and doesn’t cost a fortune!). I haven’t found one yet myself.

• Bri Dickman 10/23/2013 at 3:56 pm

Love the one on the bottom left. I feel like I would try and rock it and completely fail… Anyone else? Haha

• Laptop Lookbook 10/21/2013 at 9:50 pm

A faux leather skirt is an essential for any ladies closet

• Kay 10/16/2013 at 11:56 pm

Ugh I’m so in love with those skirts! Absolutely lovely!

• Leather | Attempting Vogue 10/15/2013 at 4:58 pm

• katywilliams93 10/14/2013 at 7:43 am

Reblogged this on Hello blondie and commented:
    I could not agree more with this post!

• luciaadsett1 10/10/2013 at 6:55 pm

I neeeed to get myself a faux leather skirt for a/w13 too!! I have been perusing the high street but like you – the hunt is still on. I am new to blogging and would really appreciate it if you could check out my blog http://thebritishthrift.wordpress.com for fashion, vintage styling and thrifty tips! :-D

• thernv02 10/10/2013 at 9:17 am

Great post. Love how to link to Pinterest so we can actually see the skirt up close.

• swaggygirlygirl 10/09/2013 at 8:36 pm

Super cute!love the style keep it up

• maishaMORE 10/08/2013 at 6:30 am

You don’t know you want something until Keira points out loud and clear for you

• 1968erika 10/07/2013 at 10:03 pm

Republicou isso em Seja mais, seja você!e comentado:
    Couro, couro e couro!!! dá para usar e ficar elegante!

• silviaconsiglia 10/07/2013 at 5:25 pm

L’ha ribloggato su Silvia Consigliae ha commentato:
    Love faux leather too

• […] 5 reasons I “need” a [faux] leather skirt this season (aprettypennyblog.com) […]

• gotthebeautybug 10/07/2013 at 1:34 am

I love the contrast between edgy leather and a chunky casual jumper, the first pic is definitely my fav. I have a leather pencil skirt but I need a mini too! Love the post x

• D. Jacobsohn Designs 10/06/2013 at 10:25 pm

Pretty darn cute! Loving the price as well!! Add the faux leather biker coat to the mix and you’re laughing all the way to the bank! Not a fan of wearing them as a uniform!

• meilutyte 10/06/2013 at 4:40 pm

Recently I bought one so Im very happy about it.. Definately worth having one :)

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 6:57 pm

Do you mind if I ask where you found it? I’m on the hunt!

• meilutyte 10/06/2013 at 11:23 pm

I bought it at the ”House” store if you know this shop

• amoroccantouch 10/06/2013 at 4:21 pm

The outfits are just amazing!

• amoroccantouch 10/06/2013 at 4:21 pm

The outfits are just amazing !

• lilschan 10/06/2013 at 3:09 pm

I just bought one from River Island at Asos, and I know Asos has a pretty good selection of faux leather skirts. Good luck with your search!

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 6:58 pm

Thank you for this!! I will check it out!

• The Borg 10/06/2013 at 5:36 am

Oh you are quite right quite right! I would never have thought to EVER have a leather/pleather skirt as a curvacious lady but actually, your tips are great and versatile for any shape so woop woop!
    I’m glad I found your blog through a repost from a blogger who like my blog. How the blogosphere turns eh?
    I’m on the hunt too…it’s on!

• modee 10/06/2013 at 2:26 am

Reblogged this on Paid Made & Gifted and commented:
    I soooo agree!

• The Borg 10/06/2013 at 5:55 am

oh yes it was through you Modee that I found this blog! Thanks!

• sincerelywhitney 10/05/2013 at 7:42 pm

Reblogged this on sincerely, Whitney and commented:
    definitely need to get myself one of these skirts. loving this look!

• sincerelywhitney 10/05/2013 at 7:37 pm

LOVE these chic looks. thanks for sharing some fashion inspiration. i think im going to have to go grab myself one of those skirts too!
    xo whit

• alexrosses 10/05/2013 at 3:46 pm

Reblogged this on Fragile Daydreams and commented:
    when it comes to fashion..
    everything seems better.

• birgitbarten 10/05/2013 at 1:38 pm

Yes leather skirts CAN be so pretty. I’ve been searching for one for too long. it’s really hard to find the perfect one

• Melissa 10/05/2013 at 5:56 am

Can’t wait to see what you find… Pinterest does that to me too-makes my wish list longer and longer :)

• blissriter 10/05/2013 at 2:57 am

in short simplicity is in, rest out!! :-D

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 7:10 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Alison 10/04/2013 at 3:53 pm

I wish I hadn’t seen this post because lord knows I do not need to be spending any more money but you’ve just convinced me that a faux leather skirt really is a must.

xx Alison

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 7:13 pm

Haha! But just look at all the ways you can wear it! ;-)

• darkeyes85 10/04/2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh. Penny. I knew it was only a matter of time. I have been considering a leather skirt for some time, about past three months but there is one thing on the back of my mind…will it make me look like a hooker? Can I pull it off? I have trawled sites on how to make it work and I suppose the jumper (sweater) combo works. Maybe I will reconsider.

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 7:13 pm

It really is a fine line! ;-) I think the chunky sweater combo is my favorite.

• darkeyes85 10/10/2013 at 12:15 pm

I’m going for the leggings instead. Just not brave enough : )

• Quin 10/04/2013 at 11:47 am

I just got mine in the mail the other day and love it! It really is an adorable and versatile piece to own :) Hope you get one soon!

• makeupartistas 10/04/2013 at 11:16 am

I knew I wanted one but now I need one big time ;-) http://www.makeupartistas.com

• vinachaider 10/04/2013 at 7:40 am

Reblogged this on Fashion Silhouette and commented:
    Classy and Chic.

• ellenafranklin 10/04/2013 at 6:25 am

Reblogged this on ellenafranklin.

• lennnair 10/04/2013 at 6:14 am

It is nice! Very chic and feminine!

• Rand 10/04/2013 at 5:20 am

Reblogged this on Im Not A Barbie.

• A Spoonful of Style 10/04/2013 at 5:11 am

I just bought one from H&M. It only arrived two days ago so I have yet to wear it but it looks promising. X

• bina 10/04/2013 at 5:04 am

Love all of the looks. (Fake) leather mini and comfortable oversize knitwear. Just love!
    xxbina

• earleenabf 10/04/2013 at 4:58 am

Reblogged this on earleenblog.

• newfangledwrinkle 10/04/2013 at 3:36 am

There are also some in forever 21 if ur local :)

• BeingZhenya 10/03/2013 at 11:47 pm

OMG I wore a faux leather skirt on my blog today :) You need to come check it out! And it cost me only $1, I just had to fix the zipper!
    Xx,
    Z

• Classy&Fabulous 10/03/2013 at 9:50 pm

Let us know if you find a cute/affordable one, I have been thinking similar thoughts about purchasing one as well!!

• Sade 10/03/2013 at 9:17 pm

Give me an a-line structured skirt and ill be happy this fall/winter but similar to ‘queenfailure’ I can’t find any that is bwfitting let’s say. If anybody comes across any sites or shops let us know, but great post. Sade, x

• Lauren 10/03/2013 at 9:12 pm

Totally agree…loving this trend right now! I would also like some leather skinny pants as well!!

• fatfreefashion 10/03/2013 at 9:05 pm

Love the drawstring one!

• Joanna Lizzi 10/03/2013 at 7:04 pm

I just ordered one from the Catherine Maladrino line for kohls, good price and looked like it won’t be tacky haha, but I’ll keep you posted after I get it in the mail!

• keiralennox 10/03/2013 at 7:05 pm

Oh my goodness, please do!! I’m heading over to kohls.com to peep it!

• pja6 10/03/2013 at 10:21 pm

I have a faux one and a real one. I haven’t been wearing them recently on account of our Indian Summer, but I can’t wait until the air gets a little crisper! They’re great little transitional pieces.

Poor Jessie Ann | A personal style blog.

• Joanna Lizzi 10/05/2013 at 4:21 pm

Hi! I got it in the mail yesterday and I’m going to give it a “pretty good” review, it’s a little shiny and I’m not sure if that makes it look a little cheap but it fits nice and is very comfortable… it’s a tad short but with black tights would be fine… I’m on the fence! It’s definitely good for the price, but not sure if I could find something better in my price range!

• keiralennox 10/06/2013 at 7:07 pm

Sounds like it was a good buy! One reader said ASOS has a great selection, too.

• manchesterflickchick 10/03/2013 at 6:05 pm

They really are so versatile for day with boots and a jumper, for the office with a white shirt and flats, for a night out with a fancy top and heels. Try River Island, Dorothy Perkins or Next for other classy versions x

• lovehaightcupcakes 10/03/2013 at 5:51 pm

My boyfriend asked me what the deal with this trend was and all I said was that it was awesome! So chic, I need one now too!

• everydaysarahjane 10/03/2013 at 5:33 pm

I completely agree. Every girl needs a leather skirt this season!

• ljones910 10/03/2013 at 5:29 pm

I’m totally with you on this article. I’m in need of these skirts as well, but refuse for it to look cheesy.

• queenfailure 10/03/2013 at 5:29 pm

This has completely made me NEED one too! I love the slightly a-line but structured ones, WIth a slouchy jumper it looks amazing. What shops have you seen them in? I haven’t been able to see any simple ones like this that aren’t hideously pricey ! Great blog as usual
    x