my favorite haircare products for highlighted hair

12/17/2013 19 Comments

my favorite haircare products for highlighted hair

12/17/2013 19 Comments
hair favorites

Drastic changes can be tough on your mane. In my case, I’m fortunate to have healthy hair and a stylist who knows what she’s doing with color, so even after three rounds of highlights — both foils and balayage — it’s still in good shape. But my lightened locks definitely require more TLC than before my hair was processed, and my haircare arsenal got an overhaul.

Someone once told me that professional hair color is an investment, and you want to protect that investment with quality products. Your stylist is your best resource for letting you know which shampoos, treatments, and styling products are ideal for your hair type, but here are the products that have worked best for me, post-peroxide.

I usually shampoo twice a week, and alternate between Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo and Lush Daddy-O.  The Moroccanoil is extra hydrating, and the Daddy-O keeps my highlights bright and blonde instead of brassy. Both clean my hair as well as a clarifying shampoo (no rinse and repeats necessary) without stripping it of moisture, and both smell incredible. After lathering up, I always condition with a handful of Moroccanoil Hydrating Conditioner, and leave it in for as long as I can in the shower.

After gently towel-drying, I generously spritz It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product throughout my hair and carefully comb out any tangles with a wide-tooth comb. I try to let it air dry as often as possible, but when I have to blow it out I swear by my Hanaair Professional Hair Dryer from Misikko. It’s a splurge, but it cuts my drying time by at least 70% (you can find an old review here).

For styling, I stick to two products every day: Lush Sea Spray and Tigi Catwalk Your Highness Root Boost. The sea spray is awesome for creating and holding soft, beachy waves without feeling greasy or dirty. Your Highness gives volume right at the root where you need it, and doesn’t weigh your hair down or leave it sticky like some mousses.

Finally, every few weeks I deep condition with Lush Marilyn. It’s a pre-wash treatment that brightens blonde tones with chamomile, saffron and lemon, and moisturizes with linseed. I coat my dry hair with it from root to ends, pile it on top of my head, and leave it on for 20-30 minutes before shampooing. It leaves my hair super soft and shiny, and like most Lush products, also smells divine.

Now if I could just stop the nagging voice in my head that keeps telling me to go lighter

Do you have processed hair? What are your favorite tricks and products for maintaining it and keeping it healthy?

• […] (FREE) I use this app to create style and beauty collages; like this and […]

• Romane lou 01/21/2014 at 12:58 am

That’s blog was so good thanks for sharing a great information. As, everyone wants their hair smooth and shinner. Though i am also looking forward to try these products timely.
    Source:-http://www.bazbuy.com/hair-care .

• from campus with love 12/30/2013 at 9:39 pm

Moroccan Oil is amazing/ a lifesaver! Also love those hair ties they save my hair daily- great blog!
    Alyssa
    fromcampuswithlove.wordpress.com

• Jaclyn Katerina 12/30/2013 at 11:16 am

I love Lush!

• hayleylarue 12/21/2013 at 5:32 am

I looooove “It’s a 10!”

• amillionstrands 12/20/2013 at 12:43 pm

I recommend It’s A 1O to all my color clients!

• corinnetrowbridge 12/18/2013 at 8:05 pm

Love this list! I have a trick my hairdresser taught me for my very highlighted hair. I only wash once a week, but wet and condition in the shower daily. This actually freshens my hair but allows more body as the week ends. I swear I get more compliments on my hair by the end of the week!
    doublenickelsstyle.com

• keiralennox 12/18/2013 at 6:26 pm

You can find the It’s a 10 spray at most drugstores now!

• topknotsandpolkadots 12/18/2013 at 3:04 pm

I have highlighted hair too and this is SO helpful! Thanks for sharing!
    xx Chloe

• Brunette&Blonde 12/18/2013 at 11:11 am

I love lush products, they are amazing!

• katiesorrellmedia 12/18/2013 at 7:23 am

Reblogged this on katie sorrell;.

• Stephanie Faircloth 12/18/2013 at 3:05 am

I absolutely love catwalk!

• talkingshops 12/17/2013 at 9:59 pm

I literally just highlighted my hair, this is perfect timing. Any other tips on managing it are welcome too!

• Nish 12/17/2013 at 8:30 pm

I love coconut oil to massage in, olive oil works well too. I loove Kerastase products, they are expensive, but I interchange them with cheapie shampoos, so it ends up working fine.

• missy 12/17/2013 at 8:14 pm

I massage warm olive oil in my hair and leave it for 20-30 minutes, as a weekly treatment. It works great for my thin, light blonde hair. I’ve also used a little argan oil cream after drying my hair, which helped smooth it out without being too greasy. My favorite purifying conditioner is Carol’s Daughter rosemary mint purifying conditioner… it smells sooooo good, too!

• gabrieleneumann 12/17/2013 at 6:45 pm

Moroccan Oil is amazing. The shampoo has never done much for me, but that conditioner is fantastic

• Hair care 12/22/2013 at 3:59 pm

Yess, me too ,i like moroccan oil.

• dressingd 12/17/2013 at 6:05 pm

Completely forgot about the awesomeness that is Lush products since moving to SA. Soooo going to have to stock up before heading back. Thanks for sharing!

• laraloves 12/17/2013 at 6:03 pm

great picks! I really want to try the moisture shampoo