sometimes, you just need to eat a little dessert.

01/30/2014 17 Comments

sometimes, you just need to eat a little dessert.

01/30/2014 17 Comments
DesignLoveFest wallpaper
{ desktop wallpaper by DesignLoveFest }

It was 80+ degrees in Central Florida on Tuesday. Today it’s in the 40s and spitting a particularly irritating cold and misty rain.

Double-you-tee-eff, Florida?

It seems we haven’t experienced a legit winter in some time, as all of my cold weather attire is two sizes too small. See: Fat Guy In A Little Coat.

Between the bipolar weather, my lack of appropriate outerwear, and the Chick-fil-A DTs, I’m a grumpy girl. And maybe it’s all the ‘Bucks venti iced green teas (sans syrup) I’m swilling in the name of antioxidants and all that jazz, but I’m jittery as all get out! High anxiety! What’s my deal?!

So. When C snuck me out of the shop for lunch at our favorite new BBQ spot this afternoon, and the server kindly brought us each an itty-bitty cherry cobbler after our meal, I hesitated…

Can I eat it? I shouldn’t. But it would be rude not to. I’m eating it.”

I did. It was warm therapy in a ramekin, and I savored its sweet crunchy comfort like it was the last quarter cup of cherry cobbler on earth.

I finished it in four tiny rationed bites, then eyed C’s untouched portion — he hates dessert, isn’t he weird? — but quickly realized I was perfectly content without it.

I almost let myself feel guilty for caving in to baked temptation, like I’d erased all my previous success in that moment of weakness. I even asked C on our way back to the shop, “are you judging me for eating that cherry cobbler?” He wasn’t, of course. {Fortunately, he also doesn’t judge me for asking stupid, self-absorbed questions.} So why was I judging myself?

Taking care of your body doesn’t have to be black and white; sometimes you need a little indulgence to get you through a crappy day, and that’s cool. Necessary, even.  #treatyoself, YOLO, life is short, etc.

Like most things, I think good health is all about balance and moderation. And today, that little bit of cherry cobbler went a long way. Tomorrow’s a new day.

• Lili 02/05/2014 at 6:25 am

That’s true: I don’t think you must cut out everything unhealthy from your diet, you just eat it less often and take smaller portions of it. I I do eat very healthy food and work out several times a week, so I think I can eat something sweet every now and then, without ruining my health or gaining weight. I need to enjoy life and that covers having some desserts! I wouldn’t wanna eat it because I feel sad, though, because that might bring back my bulimia which luckily has been gone for four years. However, I do occasionally eat something sweet when I feel sad. So far, it hasn’t caused me any problems. I hope it stays that way!

• Jessica 02/02/2014 at 4:59 pm
  • mommadamek 02/01/2014 at 1:50 pm

I think a tiny cherry cobbler here in sunny, Kansas City, MO might even be enough to make me smile all through Zumba….

• marieltan 01/31/2014 at 10:24 pm

I think the indulgence is what jolts my motivation to keep myself fit. I say, indulge!!! :)

• sincerelykymberly 01/31/2014 at 4:51 pm

I don’t know how I stumbled upon our blog, but I am absolutely enjoying the posts! So happy to be following you! I really enjoyed your quinoa post from yesterday :)

• Ariella 01/31/2014 at 4:45 pm

I’m starting a similar detox today and really needed some reassurance- thank you!

• Amy 01/31/2014 at 5:46 am

Have a great weekend

• Joan 01/31/2014 at 2:50 am

Everything in moderation, including moderation ;)

• KaSonndra Leigh 01/30/2014 at 10:23 pm

Oh boy! I think it must be the weather that’s making us crave these un-needful things. I caved and gave in to the temptation of my sweet tooth earlier today too. Oh well. Sighs. :-)

• Ale 01/30/2014 at 8:34 pm

Love this and agree balance and moderation are key!

• stylesocietyguyblog 01/30/2014 at 8:12 pm

Oh absolutely !

• thinktravelcelebrate 01/30/2014 at 7:44 pm

Wow, that’s pretty chilly for Florida! Though I’d happily take that over the temperature in DC… it was all of five degrees when I left in the morning! The weather has been crazy all over the country lately.

• ranchcookie 01/30/2014 at 6:35 pm

Oh yum! Good for you! I believe in a little treat here and there too! Sometimes you’re right it does get you through the day!

• jagoism 01/30/2014 at 5:14 pm

: O

• TheOguide 01/30/2014 at 5:09 pm

Join us up in Chicago! We’re at a balmy 21 degrees!

• Annie 01/30/2014 at 4:57 pm

Same here on the treasure coast…rainy n nothing appropriate to wear…it IS Florida…I only have sandals and various outerwear, ie yoga pants n tanks with built in bras. I do not have any cherry cobbler or dessert to enjoy this dreary day (meaning the sky is not clear blue) but I did make dinner and I ate it, too. This means I can go to sleep by 7 pm tonite and start tomorrow off anew!