impractical shoes and failures in bulk-buying

04/21/2014 56 Comments

impractical shoes and failures in bulk-buying

04/21/2014 56 Comments
A Pretty Penny | Jeans and a Tee
{ Blank Denim jeans; Aeropostale tee; Jessica Simpson bag & Mateo suede booties via Hautelook }

Hey-o! Look who forgot she’s a blogger last week…

I woke up this morning completely exhausted from the holiday weekend and made plans to be out of the shop by noon so I could enjoy a leisurely afternoon with my ratty sweatpants and a borrowed DVD set of the first season of Shameless.

I threw on my favorite jeans and an ambitious pair of never-worn-but-very-loved shoes, and made my way to work. My staff knew I was hightailing it out of there early as soon as they spotted my feet. Anything over a 2″ heel means I’m not sticking around long.

I decided the morning would go faster if I ran all the deliveries, so I took the first load to one side of the county and then then the second to the other. My last trip wrapped up dangerously close to the Sam’s Club. I’ve been itching to reinstate my membership, and if I run out of toilet paper again I’m going to scream, and one thing led to another… $45 and a very awkward photo later, I was a card-carrying insider to all things bulk.

I walked all over that giant box store, oblivious to any feet discomfort, because it’s difficult to concentrate on anything when you’re surrounded by 10-lb tubs of mayonnaise.

After an hour of aimless wandering, I filled my cart with God-knows-what (essentials, duh) and headed to the checkout. I found a reasonably-populated line and carefully unloaded my treasures onto the belt: 50-roll packs of paper towels and toilet paper, cases of Pellegrino and Luna protein bars, 8-packs of Clorox wipes, enough hand soap to keep us sanitized through winter, etc. Oh, and an $8 paperback copy of The Fault in Our Stars, which I’ve been dying to read.

My total? $189. A steal, really!

I reached into my bright yellow crossbody, extracted my credit card, prepared to swipe… and then the cashier sweetly dropped a bomb. “Oh, I’m sorry, we don’t take Visa charge, unless it’s a debit.” She went on to explain the types of payment they do accept, none of which I had immediately available. I always carry a checkbook! Except today.

I was flummoxed. And screwed; I only had two [now useless] Visa credit cards and a $20 bill on my person. All I wanted was to get my gigantic paper products and snacks off the belt and into my car.

Suddenly my feet hurt.

As people piled up behind me in line and I tried to wrap my brain around the [increasingly embarrassing] situation, I became that annoying customer who mumbles useless statements ad nauseam:

“You don’t take Visa charge? Who doesn’t take Visa charge? I had no idea you didn’t take Visa charge.” Repeat.

After exhausting every option I could think of — “Do you take Paypal?Of course they don’t; this isn’t the Internet, Keira — the seriously kind and patient cashier put everything back in my cart and sent me to customer service to apply for a Sam’s Club credit card.

I considered it… I really wanted those paper towels, dammit! Then I came to my senses. Another credit card is the last thing I need. Defeated and dejected, I pushed my full cart to the side and made my way to the exit.

But wait! I wasn’t leaving empty-handed. I went back to my abandoned cart, dug out the paperback, and used the cash I had on hand to make it mine.

So I kind of spent over $50 and an hour on The Fault in Our Stars?

It better be good, John Green.

Sam’s, I’ll be back for you; and next time I’ll be ready.

• laurenswardrobe 05/19/2014 at 7:57 am

I love the jeans in this post, I think they would look amazing on! I have a blog too and would love if you could have a look :) http://www.laurenswardrobe.com

• Katherine Gonzales 05/02/2014 at 1:31 pm

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be
    honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to
    come back in the future. Cheers

• Leah Grace 05/01/2014 at 11:31 am

Really enjoyed this post. I’m a big fan of Costco; just have to make sure you remember what you already have and not get sidetracked :-)

• Erin E. 04/28/2014 at 9:02 pm

What?! No Visa?! That should be illegal! Or at least they should be required to post gigantic signs everywhere because I would have been in the exact same situation! Thank you for this entertaining PSA :)

• mywordspictures 04/27/2014 at 7:11 am

Great post. Love the outfit!

• poutineandprada 04/26/2014 at 1:40 pm

At least you had fab shoes on! Love those:)

• Kayla 04/24/2014 at 5:50 pm

I would read a story like this (or any story) from you every day. Just so you know, we don’t need outfits all the time. Any post is acceptable. =)

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:34 pm

Aww, thank you so much for this, Kayla! I really appreciate it :)

• Victoria Olmo 04/23/2014 at 2:44 pm

Haha, I love this! It sounds like one of those stories you can always tell. Great move on still buying the book!

• annacarew 04/23/2014 at 11:41 am

The fault in our stars is incredible… oh and i love those heeled booties

• Poojitha 04/23/2014 at 4:12 am

your articles are very nice and all , but I never see u replying to any of the comments anybody posted. why?

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:19 pm

I try to reply to comments but, admittedly, I’m not as good at it as I’d like to be. My business (unrelated to the blog) consumes the majority of my life, but I try to carve out time to interact with readers and respond to questions/comments. Some weeks are better than others. I’m working on it! :)

• shannonwaisath 04/22/2014 at 11:51 pm

1. A Fault in Our Stars is AMAZING, you’ll love it
    2. Shameless is also AMAZING

Better luck on your next Costco visit.

• Joanne Mason (@joannealma) 04/22/2014 at 5:17 pm

Great outfit, totally sucky situation!

• Gigi Fontenot 04/22/2014 at 4:52 pm

I love it… plus I can completely understand the Sam’s thing as my boyfriend just got us a membership – which I didn’t think we needed until I was walking around Sam’s. We needed it, everyone needs it!!!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:37 pm

Everyone does need it! My parents bought us a membership a few years ago for Christmas, and I was all, “what the heck am I going to do with 20-lb bags of rice?” But it’s worth it for the stockpile of toilet paper alone. ;)

• sashilove21 04/22/2014 at 4:46 pm

First of all, I love the shoes! Second, I have totally done the same thing! I loaded up my Sam’s cart with everything I needed…cashier rang up $200 just to find out….they don’t take Visa CC. So embarrassing. It’s 2014 people! Time to accept all forms of money.

• sewfabmom 04/22/2014 at 4:20 pm

The same exact thing happened to my mom and I at Costco. One laptop and a Samsung tablet, to the register we go and then we don’t. It is such an odd thing when stores don’t accept all forms a payment. Aren’t they hurting them selves in the end? I guess not because all my mom did was apply for an American Express and a Costco membership. So a laptop and a Samsung tablet and we are off!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:32 pm

They know exactly what they’re doing, don’t they?

• Socially Awkward Fashionista 04/22/2014 at 1:36 pm

I’ve had this happen to me in different store way too many times to count.

• saraspunza 04/22/2014 at 12:38 pm

So funny! You will love the book. If you don’t you cannot be human…

• Jess 04/22/2014 at 12:28 pm

Aw man. I hate the spending hangover after the deal buzz dies… http://beautyreviewsbyruby.wordpress.com/

• Joanna 04/22/2014 at 12:22 pm

Who doesn’t take visa?? That’s just silly

• erin 04/22/2014 at 9:54 am

Ugh that is my one beef with Sam’s/Costco… I’m always in a panic when I make my way to the checkout… does my checkbook have at least one check in it?? (I’m notorious for forgetting and walking around with it empty and useless full of deposit slips… who uses those anymore? Hello, atms?!) I feel your pain!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:31 pm

Ha, this made me giggle! There’s nothing worse than opening your checkbook to write an emergency check and seeing the deposit slip staring you in the face.

• FatFreeFashion 04/22/2014 at 8:09 am

It happens! Love the outfit, though!

Lindsay xx,

• Palmtrees and Happiness 04/22/2014 at 8:05 am

The crazy thing is, this EXACT thing happened to be about two weeks ago when I needed to throw a party at work and all I had was a Visa and some cash on me, my face pretty much said oh shit. No more CC’s!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:38 pm

They should have a mercy policy for people buying party supplies. Especially work-party supplies. You can’t go back to the office empty-handed!

• Amy 04/22/2014 at 7:40 am

Sound like you had one hack of my shopping experience

• rambleonrockstar 04/22/2014 at 7:22 am

I adore John Green. He writes beautifully and doesn’t dumb things down simply because he’s writing for a younger audience.

I also love stores like Sam’s Club and Costco. Though I do notice I end up buying useless items that I totally “needed” at the time.

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:29 pm

“He writes beautifully and doesn’t dumb things down simply because he’s writing for a younger audience.” <– Nail on the head.

• Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style 04/22/2014 at 6:39 am

The Fault in Our Stars is actually worth it! Those paper products would have helped though. You definitely need tissues for that book.

• theoxfordowl 04/22/2014 at 4:00 am

Don’t worry, I think we’ve all done something like that before! :P

• notrecloset 04/22/2014 at 3:03 am

Amazing yellow spring bag :)

• conmaldita 04/22/2014 at 1:18 am

i like the shoes!!

• luxeandlinen 04/22/2014 at 12:43 am

love this outfit!

• dearaligrace 04/21/2014 at 11:11 pm

Love those booties and that little purse!

• KhoaSinclair 04/21/2014 at 11:09 pm

If the shoes kute, oh well! haha

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:25 pm

Agreed! Cute shoes make every situation better.

• Bead Charmer Girl 04/21/2014 at 10:50 pm

Stores like that make my mind malfunction. Thankfully we have other options. But if you enjoy it, best wishes.

• Jenn 04/21/2014 at 9:47 pm

Reblogged this on jenniferbogus13.

• sland24 04/21/2014 at 9:37 pm

1st… The Fault Within Our Stars is one of my favorites, 2nd… This definitely describes my life on the daily. You don’t know how many times this happens to me…you would think I would learn? nope…. Bahahha I am excited to read on!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:24 pm

Glad I’m not the only one! ;)

I’m several chapters into TFiOS, and I’m really enjoying it so far.

• sland24 04/24/2014 at 10:35 pm

Keep on my friend!!! It makes you happy to be alive!!!

• kaiusemily 04/21/2014 at 9:30 pm

Reblogged this on KAIUS EMILY .

• DeDivahDeals 04/21/2014 at 9:20 pm

Which is exactly why I don’t renew my membership to Costco! Great share, thanks.

• divinedeals71 04/21/2014 at 9:05 pm

I’m officially obsessed with those booties! By chance do you remember the style name? Google isn’t being much help when I search for ‘Mateo booties’

• divinedeals71 04/21/2014 at 9:07 pm

Nevermind, I answered my own question! The style name is ‘Mateo’, duh!

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:23 pm

Glad you found them! I bought them on Hautelook a while ago, so I think they’re a discontinued style. You may be able to find them on eBay, or 6pm?

• anolivedaily 04/21/2014 at 8:25 pm

I always struggle with whether or not bulk is actually better. I have been burned a few times having to throw away massive quantities of food (I have to stop going to Costco when I’m hungry). However, I have to say my giant 2 gallon bottle of Windex has been the best thing ever. I have cleaned just about every surface in my house 10X over and it’s not even a quarter gone. Best purchase ever.

• keiralennox 04/24/2014 at 10:23 pm

I struggle with the bulk conundrum myself… For home, it’s not practical because it’s just my husband and me. But for our business, I’m all about stockpiling paper/cleaning supplies.

And let’s be serious, you can never have too much Windex. ;)

• marameodesign-dev6.com 04/21/2014 at 8:13 pm

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s content every day along
    with a mug of coffee.

• Miss Alice Beauty 04/21/2014 at 7:58 pm

Epic shopping experience, haha. Great post and love the pop of color in the outfit!

missalicebeauty.wordpress.com