Home Sweet Home: My Interior Inspiration and a New Blog Feature

08/12/2014 28 Comments

Home Sweet Home: My Interior Inspiration and a New Blog Feature

08/12/2014 28 Comments

I was 21 when C and I completed construction on our home. Getting that head start was one of the greatest blessings of my life; I count my lucky stars every day for our little hacienda, and if I have my way, we’ll have many more years there.

I didn’t know the first thing about interior design back then (and there was no such thing as Pinterest, if you can even imagine) so I went the safe neutral route: white burber carpet, cream walls, and cream couches from Rooms to Go. We were really young and really broke, so there wasn’t extra cash lying around for accoutrements: besides the red and brown throw pillows that came with the couches and a few matching candleholders from Pier 1, the first several years were bland, y’all.

Over time, we slowly made improvements as we could afford them, including replacing the white carpet that puppy-Doak destroyed with laminate flooring and picking up accessories here and there. Those neutral couches worked in my favor: I could easily switch up the feel of the living room with some new throw pillows and an inexpensive rug.

Now eight years later, our home is an eclectic mix of the first pieces we purchased, some well loved hand-me-downs, lots of bargain finds, and a few special family heirlooms (my grandmother’s cedar chest of drawers is the media console in our living room).

After all that time spent living in floor-to-ceiling beige, I can’t get enough color in our space. Last year we painted a few accent walls in a cornflower blue — which terrified me at first, but now I love it — and started layering in some vibrant greens and golds, bright reds, and small pops of orange.

The trick is finding a balance that makes both of us comfortable — fresh and bright, but not too fussy or feminine — and works with our budget and lifestyle. I just can’t get on board with spending $60 on a throw pillow that C is going to nap on and smoosh (no matter how many times I tell him they’re for decoration) or splurge on an area rug that we’re almost guaranteed to spill on because I’m a big klutz and can’t handle my wine.

While I’m still no expert, I’d like to start sharing some of my favorite home stuff on A Pretty Penny: DIY projects, design inspiration, and peeks at my space. With a budget-friendly focus, of course, because that’s how I roll.

It seemed appropriate to kick things off by sharing some spaces that inspire me: cozy and colorful happy homes that make you want to stay a while.

• supportthebride 10/25/2014 at 10:45 am

When we bought our first place we kept everything white, however that became quite clinical. Now we’ve introduced a grey feature wall, green cushions and black sequinned cushions. My husband is even painting a mural in our bedroom next weekend to reflect a rainforest with lots of bright light. Can’t wait! 💜

• keiralennox 10/29/2014 at 6:38 pm

I honestly think this is the best way to do it! Like an evolution. :-) I love your color choices! I was torn between gray and blue when we repainted last year. I think I’ll do gray the next go-round. Enjoy the process!

• shannonlanni 09/02/2014 at 4:08 pm

Reblogged this on Shannon Lanni.

• Zurainny Ismail 08/19/2014 at 1:47 am

Home decorating is not just an art, it’s a gift. Your eclectic home is perfect – and the way you combine new and old makes the whole house inspiring & so precious.

• rebeccadaintyapples 08/13/2014 at 5:36 pm

Like the direction you are moving in with this new feature, love seeing decor inspiration and who doesn’t like budget friendly ideas! Plus I love a good nosey at other peoples homes! ;)

• iamfernanda 08/13/2014 at 10:35 am

omg this is such a cool blog!!! I would definitely would appreciate feedback from you that are more tenured in all this, I started mine like 4 days ago!! :) hope u like it ♥

• Carolina E. 08/12/2014 at 7:15 pm

Just beautiful !!!

• nowwhatnow 08/12/2014 at 3:58 pm

I love the bright colors in your home! What a cozy, happy place!

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 5:00 pm

I wish these were from my home! :) They’re just inspiration photos that I pulled from Pinterest. You can find links to the original sources if you hover over each image.

• nowwhatnow 08/16/2014 at 7:58 am

Oh!! Well… I love your taste!
        Thanks for the info!

• amybareham 08/12/2014 at 2:37 pm

Can’t wait for more home deco posts from you! Design on a budget is what I need during this student stage of life! My mom’s obsession this summer has been picking up old chandeliers from yard sales/antique stores/wherever and painting them in lemon yellow or poppy red. They’re super vibrant and fun.

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 3:16 pm

Your mom sounds awesome!! :) I’m so excited to hear that you’re looking forward to these types of posts. There’s so much you can do on a shoestring budget to make a space that you love.

Now I’m off to find an old chandelier…

• thedailyvictorian 08/12/2014 at 12:39 pm

I used to really prefer warm neutral color palettes for home decor, but I am definitely warming up to the idea of bright colors! Painting a wall blue would’ve freaked me out too but I bet it looks great. The inspiration pictures in this post are lovely; thanks for sharing!

Victoria from http://www.thedailyvictorian.com

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 3:21 pm

I was a warm neutral girl for a long time, too, Victoria. This color business is new territory for me, but I’m digging it! :) Thanks for reading!

• Monica 08/12/2014 at 11:51 am

Such a colorful, happy, beautiful home

• vestitini 08/12/2014 at 11:05 am

I really like all this picture…. my boyfriend is building our future house (in an old garage) and i’m very happy when i found inspiring ideas… so thank you

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 3:17 pm

It’s so exciting when you can design everything from the ground-up. Best wishes on your future home!

• Reaching for Balance 08/12/2014 at 10:29 am

OH I LOVE!!!

• revolvingrooms 08/12/2014 at 10:24 am

Beautiful!

• Elizabeth 08/12/2014 at 9:41 am

This post sounds JUST LIKE ME. I’m in an almost identical situation and would love to see some of your ideas!

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 3:19 pm

So happy to hear that it would be helpful for you, Elizabeth!

• Erin's Notions 08/12/2014 at 9:23 am

This is a great concept. I work in design and always recommend that people gradually decorate. It allows for you to find pieces you really like instead of just filling your space with stuff. Can’t wait to see what you’ve done!

• keiralennox 08/12/2014 at 3:18 pm

It’s so funny, I wish I had used this method when building my wardrobe. ;) Unlike my closet, all of the accessories I’ve purchased for my home were pieces I REALLY loved, and I still have almost all of them.

• rhiannon 08/12/2014 at 8:27 am
  • mrswillie45 08/12/2014 at 8:14 am

I like this direction ! Just promise to throw in some of your beautiful flower arrangements every once in a while too!

• Mulher Super Fashion 08/12/2014 at 8:09 am