Grown-Up Coats

Good coats are wasted on Florida weather. For years I avoided the investment because we sunshine-staters rarely have an occasion to wear them; but once in a blue moon, some formal event pops up on cold evening and your coatless self is left with two options: 1.) Grin and bare it (there’s nothing chic about chattering teeth); or 2.) Cover up that cocktail dress with your denim jacket from the Gap.

This year I decided it was time to address the coat deficit in my closet, since a 30 year old should probably have appropriate outerwear that she didn’t find on a clearance rack in the juniors department during college. I bought this Via Spiga wool blend trench on Hautelook for less than $100 at the start of the season, and followed it up shortly after with a black Vince Camuto number.

Wearing:

Via Spiga coat
Cynthia Rowley silk floral tank (Marshall’s)
AE hi-rise jeggings
I.N.C. navy suede pumps
Hobo ‘Lauren’ clutch wallet

1. Renee D. wrote:

Love that coat! Gorgeous!

Posted 3.12.15 Reply
  2. nihalaq wrote:

That coat is so simple and chic – and the color is very pretty! Unfortunately, unlike you sunshine-staters, coats in NYC are a must for at least seven months straight, but there are endless style options!

Posted 2.20.15 Reply
  3. I am a totally coat-obsessed Floridian! I grew up in the northeast and while I don’t miss the cold, I can’t stop drooling over every damn coat on the internet right now. Love the one you picked!

Posted 2.4.15 Reply
  4. I am in love with that entire outfit<3

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  5. I love this coat! I have it in a black & purple plaid design. Wear it almost everyday and on weekends, it is so versatile!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  6. kaley wrote:

Love that coat! It is so on point with the wine/burgundy that we’re seeing this season! Love it :)

xoxo

Kaley

My Closet Life Blog

Posted 1.30.15 Reply
  7. A pretty penny this coat is absolutely adorable! I love the color, it’s super rich, and the length is perfect for our winters here in Florida and it adds a tailored look to any ensemble. There’s nothing wrong with a cute investment as such every once in awhile, especially for that price!

Posted 1.28.15 Reply
  8. Love the images you post – so pretty – have nominated you for a lovely blog award – congrats

Posted 1.28.15 Reply
  9. Love the coat and overall look! How are you liking the high-rise denim thing? I have yet to try some on. They look great on you!

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  10. I love the cranberry color of your coat. Definitely agree with quality over quantity.

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  11. Such a great coat choice! Quality over quantity when it comes to coats!

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  12. Classy. I like the look. We also lived in Miami, FL because in 1997-2001, and that was also my dilemma.

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  13. anaarra wrote:

That coat is perfection!

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  14. lindsaybb wrote:

A fellow Hobo Lauren fan! I’m on my second… :)

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  15. These types of coats are my favorite. They are so classy and pretty 😍

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  16. I’m unashamed to confess that I’m a total coataholic. Fortunately, I live in a place that gets plenty of winter weather, but not *so* much winter weather that my coat has to look like a sleeping bag. I like yours. Such a pretty merlot! :)

Posted 1.27.15 Reply
  17. Love this!!

18. Cash wrote:

Reblogged this on Come Listen Guys 💙.

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  19. That’s a great colour for a coat. I only have 2 at the moment – a red and an olive green. It doesn’t get quite cold enough in Sydney to wear them constantly but I do manage to pull them out for a night or 2 in winter :)

20. Hi!
    I love your blog and I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    You can find all the rules here : http://haileyheavens.wordpess.com

xo
    -Hailey

21. Style-Lee wrote:

You pulled it off so nicely!

22. nyrmirez wrote:

That is a beautiful color for a coat.

23. Amy wrote:

such a lovely coat

24. Mel wrote:

pretty coat! Love that color

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  25. Beutifull color!!I love this outfit!!

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  26. Love the outfit. Coat clour is to die for:)

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  27. That is so true. FL is only cold when it’s inconvenient!

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  28. I love a good coat much more than the weather needed to wear it! Love the color of your coat, I have a similar one and it’s super versatile. I bow down to your shoes, though! TOO CHIC.

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  29. Beautiful color! I have beige, navy, green, gray and black coats but not a burgundy one! I need to go shopping now!

30. I love this outfit! and that coat is perfect! Jessx

31. ^ Sucks even more the further south you live, haha

Posted 1.26.15 Reply
  32. That is such a cute coat. You make a great choice! I did the same thing two years ago. I think I’ve worn it twice in said two years, but so worth the investment. It is a similar style to yours, yet bright red. The deeper red/burgundy color is gorgeous though. Boo to living in the sunshine state and not getting to wear our cute coats often.

@keiralennox

• Hey, girl! 👋🏻 We have a handful of these hand-painted face vases available at @lasaterflowers that are perfect for fresh flowers, succulents, or even a catch-all bowl for keys and hair ties. (We all have one of those somewhere in our home; it may as well be cute. 😉) #floraldesign #shopsmall #summerblooms #flashesofdelight
  • I jumped on board with @kendieveryday’s #30x30remix! For the next month, I’ll mix-and-match 30 pieces from my wardrobe into 30 weekday outfits and share them in weekly roundups on the blog.

My first week of remixed outfits + my thoughts on the challenge are in today’s post at keiralennox.com. 👖
#capsulewardrobe #instastyle #ootd
  • Back to work after a relaxing weekend! But with *zero* tan to show for it; I’m never not fully-shaded and SPF’ed, wearing a giant sun hat and some kind of mumu situation on a beach.
☀️😂 👵🏼
  • Found our new favorite beach getaway spot this weekend! 🌴 #lovefl
  • If anyone needs me I’ll be at the...🍹
  • Just when I thought I couldn’t love @rafanatural coconut oil bar soap more, I started using them with these natural fiber ‘soap sacks’ and leveled up.
ICYMI, my latest blog post is a roundup of 10 random things I’m loving right now, inspired by all the great finds on @things.i.bought.and.liked. (And doing my best @mariahlleonard photography impression with this afternoon light.) ✨
Check it out at keiralennox.com.