Grown-Up Coats

Good coats are wasted on Florida weather. For years I avoided the investment because we sunshine-staters rarely have an occasion to wear them; but once in a blue moon, some formal event pops up on cold evening and your coatless self is left with two options: 1.) Grin and bare it (there’s nothing chic about chattering teeth); or 2.) Cover up that cocktail dress with your denim jacket from the Gap.

This year I decided it was time to address the coat deficit in my closet, since a 30 year old should probably have appropriate outerwear that she didn’t find on a clearance rack in the juniors department during college. I bought this Via Spiga wool blend trench on Hautelook for less than $100 at the start of the season, and followed it up shortly after with a black Vince Camuto number.

Wearing:

Via Spiga coat
Cynthia Rowley silk floral tank (Marshall’s)
AE hi-rise jeggings
I.N.C. navy suede pumps
Hobo ‘Lauren’ clutch wallet

I accept the Privacy Policy

1. 3.12.15
    Renee D. said:

Love that coat! Gorgeous!

2. 2.20.15
    nihalaq said:

That coat is so simple and chic – and the color is very pretty! Unfortunately, unlike you sunshine-staters, coats in NYC are a must for at least seven months straight, but there are endless style options!

3. 2.4.15

I am a totally coat-obsessed Floridian! I grew up in the northeast and while I don’t miss the cold, I can’t stop drooling over every damn coat on the internet right now. Love the one you picked!

4. 2.3.15

I am in love with that entire outfit<3

5. 2.2.15

I love this coat! I have it in a black & purple plaid design. Wear it almost everyday and on weekends, it is so versatile!

6. 1.30.15
    kaley said:

Love that coat! It is so on point with the wine/burgundy that we’re seeing this season! Love it :)

xoxo

Kaley

My Closet Life Blog

7. 1.28.15

A pretty penny this coat is absolutely adorable! I love the color, it’s super rich, and the length is perfect for our winters here in Florida and it adds a tailored look to any ensemble. There’s nothing wrong with a cute investment as such every once in awhile, especially for that price!

8. 1.28.15

Love the images you post – so pretty – have nominated you for a lovely blog award – congrats

9. 1.27.15

Love the coat and overall look! How are you liking the high-rise denim thing? I have yet to try some on. They look great on you!

10. 1.27.15

I love the cranberry color of your coat. Definitely agree with quality over quantity.

11. 1.27.15

Such a great coat choice! Quality over quantity when it comes to coats!

12. 1.27.15

Classy. I like the look. We also lived in Miami, FL because in 1997-2001, and that was also my dilemma.

13. 1.27.15
    anaarra said:

That coat is perfection!

14. 1.27.15
    lindsaybb said:

A fellow Hobo Lauren fan! I’m on my second… :)

15. 1.27.15

These types of coats are my favorite. They are so classy and pretty 😍

16. 1.27.15

I’m unashamed to confess that I’m a total coataholic. Fortunately, I live in a place that gets plenty of winter weather, but not *so* much winter weather that my coat has to look like a sleeping bag. I like yours. Such a pretty merlot! :)

17. 1.26.15

Love this!!

18. 1.26.15
    Cash said:

Reblogged this on Come Listen Guys 💙.

19. 1.26.15

That’s a great colour for a coat. I only have 2 at the moment – a red and an olive green. It doesn’t get quite cold enough in Sydney to wear them constantly but I do manage to pull them out for a night or 2 in winter :)

20. 1.26.15

Hi!
    I love your blog and I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    You can find all the rules here : http://haileyheavens.wordpess.com

xo
    -Hailey

21. 1.26.15
    Style-Lee said:

You pulled it off so nicely!

22. 1.26.15
    nyrmirez said:

That is a beautiful color for a coat.

23. 1.26.15
    Amy said:

such a lovely coat

24. 1.26.15
    Mel said:

pretty coat! Love that color

25. 1.26.15

Beutifull color!!I love this outfit!!

26. 1.26.15

Love the outfit. Coat clour is to die for:)

27. 1.26.15

That is so true. FL is only cold when it’s inconvenient!

28. 1.26.15

I love a good coat much more than the weather needed to wear it! Love the color of your coat, I have a similar one and it’s super versatile. I bow down to your shoes, though! TOO CHIC.

29. 1.26.15

Beautiful color! I have beige, navy, green, gray and black coats but not a burgundy one! I need to go shopping now!

30. 1.26.15

I love this outfit! and that coat is perfect! Jessx

31. 1.26.15

^ Sucks even more the further south you live, haha

32. 1.26.15

That is such a cute coat. You make a great choice! I did the same thing two years ago. I think I’ve worn it twice in said two years, but so worth the investment. It is a similar style to yours, yet bright red. The deeper red/burgundy color is gorgeous though. Boo to living in the sunshine state and not getting to wear our cute coats often.