Grown-Up Coats

01/26/2015 33 Comments

Grown-Up Coats

01/26/2015 33 Comments

Good coats are wasted on Florida weather. For years I avoided the investment because we sunshine-staters rarely have an occasion to wear them; but once in a blue moon, some formal event pops up on cold evening and your coatless self is left with two options: 1.) Grin and bare it (there’s nothing chic about chattering teeth); or 2.) Cover up that cocktail dress with your denim jacket from the Gap.

This year I decided it was time to address the coat deficit in my closet, since a 30 year old should probably have appropriate outerwear that she didn’t find on a clearance rack in the juniors department during college. I bought this Via Spiga wool blend trench on Hautelook for less than $100 at the start of the season, and followed it up shortly after with a black Vince Camuto number.

Wearing:

Via Spiga coat
Cynthia Rowley silk floral tank (Marshall’s)
AE hi-rise jeggings
I.N.C. navy suede pumps
Hobo ‘Lauren’ clutch wallet

• Renee D. 03/12/2015 at 9:57 pm

Love that coat! Gorgeous!

• […] Wardrobe Stable For a lot individuals you are enduring the winter chill or freezing cold, while that is not the case for me, it is still good to invest in a quality coat like Keira from A Pretty Penny has here […]

• nihalaq 02/20/2015 at 9:34 pm

That coat is so simple and chic – and the color is very pretty! Unfortunately, unlike you sunshine-staters, coats in NYC are a must for at least seven months straight, but there are endless style options!

• Alison @ Peacoat Diaries 02/04/2015 at 12:02 am

I am a totally coat-obsessed Floridian! I grew up in the northeast and while I don’t miss the cold, I can’t stop drooling over every damn coat on the internet right now. Love the one you picked!

• eternityofgrace 02/03/2015 at 2:37 pm

I am in love with that entire outfit<3

• Foodie Alert 02/02/2015 at 10:11 pm

I love this coat! I have it in a black & purple plaid design. Wear it almost everyday and on weekends, it is so versatile!

• kaley 01/30/2015 at 8:58 pm

Love that coat! It is so on point with the wine/burgundy that we’re seeing this season! Love it :)

xoxo

Kaley

My Closet Life Blog

• Styles by Steffany 01/28/2015 at 10:51 pm

A pretty penny this coat is absolutely adorable! I love the color, it’s super rich, and the length is perfect for our winters here in Florida and it adds a tailored look to any ensemble. There’s nothing wrong with a cute investment as such every once in awhile, especially for that price!

• naughtymissjones 01/28/2015 at 8:28 pm

Love the images you post – so pretty – have nominated you for a lovely blog award – congrats

• Jayme Henderson 01/27/2015 at 10:13 pm

Love the coat and overall look! How are you liking the high-rise denim thing? I have yet to try some on. They look great on you!

• the hair & the heart 01/27/2015 at 5:14 pm

I love the cranberry color of your coat. Definitely agree with quality over quantity.

• Christie Wang 01/27/2015 at 11:31 am

Such a great coat choice! Quality over quantity when it comes to coats!

• laurenbattistini 01/27/2015 at 10:57 am

Classy. I like the look. We also lived in Miami, FL because in 1997-2001, and that was also my dilemma.

• anaarra 01/27/2015 at 10:07 am

That coat is perfection!

• lindsaybb 01/27/2015 at 12:20 am

A fellow Hobo Lauren fan! I’m on my second… :)

• Yanira Roman 01/27/2015 at 12:19 am

These types of coats are my favorite. They are so classy and pretty 😍

• alphawhiskeyfoxtrot 01/27/2015 at 12:01 am

I’m unashamed to confess that I’m a total coataholic. Fortunately, I live in a place that gets plenty of winter weather, but not *so* much winter weather that my coat has to look like a sleeping bag. I like yours. Such a pretty merlot! :)

• kessekisses 01/26/2015 at 10:47 pm

Love this!!

• Cash 01/26/2015 at 6:08 pm

Reblogged this on Come Listen Guys 💙.

• sweetaboutme_xx 01/26/2015 at 4:45 pm

That’s a great colour for a coat. I only have 2 at the moment – a red and an olive green. It doesn’t get quite cold enough in Sydney to wear them constantly but I do manage to pull them out for a night or 2 in winter :)

• Hailey Heavens 01/26/2015 at 4:29 pm

Hi!
    I love your blog and I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!
    You can find all the rules here : http://haileyheavens.wordpess.com

xo
    -Hailey

• Style-Lee 01/26/2015 at 4:13 pm

You pulled it off so nicely!

• nyrmirez 01/26/2015 at 3:43 pm

That is a beautiful color for a coat.

• Amy 01/26/2015 at 2:15 pm

such a lovely coat

• Mel 01/26/2015 at 1:24 pm

pretty coat! Love that color

• untoquerevelde 01/26/2015 at 12:27 pm

Beutifull color!!I love this outfit!!

• Art Becomes You 01/26/2015 at 11:52 am

Love the outfit. Coat clour is to die for:)

• Shauna Swartz 01/26/2015 at 11:50 am

That is so true. FL is only cold when it’s inconvenient!

• britt kingery 01/26/2015 at 11:35 am

I love a good coat much more than the weather needed to wear it! Love the color of your coat, I have a similar one and it’s super versatile. I bow down to your shoes, though! TOO CHIC.

• Danika Maia 01/26/2015 at 11:23 am

Beautiful color! I have beige, navy, green, gray and black coats but not a burgundy one! I need to go shopping now!

• therealjlow 01/26/2015 at 11:09 am

I love this outfit! and that coat is perfect! Jessx

• Lovely Sami Anne 01/26/2015 at 11:07 am

^ Sucks even more the further south you live, haha

• Lovely Sami Anne 01/26/2015 at 11:07 am

That is such a cute coat. You make a great choice! I did the same thing two years ago. I think I’ve worn it twice in said two years, but so worth the investment. It is a similar style to yours, yet bright red. The deeper red/burgundy color is gorgeous though. Boo to living in the sunshine state and not getting to wear our cute coats often.