Beauty Confessions: Skin Care After 30

All the beauty experts say women need to get serious about anti-aging skin care when they roll over the big 3-0. Suddenly cleansing and a swipe of SPF aren’t enough; apparently we need an arsenal of products to “preserve” our faces and fight the [irreversible?] damage we inflicted upon ourselves in our youth.

I’m lookin’ at you, tanning beds; should’ve listened to my grandmother.

With this in mind, I found myself in Ulta two months ago on a mission. I wandered around the skin care section for a good 30 minutes, politely declining the sales associates’ offers for assistance, determined to find a suitable “grown-up” regimen for a new decade.

I’d love to know the psychology behind the angelic backlit shelving in upscale beauty department stores… do they work on a subconscious level to convince me the products were sent straight from heaven to make me look like Giselle? In a moment of semi-blind, over-marketed mania I seriously considered spending half a week’s pay on a certain doctor’s anti-aging starter kit. Then I came to my senses, and realized if it really eliminated wrinkles and pores and the need for concealer, they probably wouldn’t be able keep the stuff on the shelves. Right? *Step away from the $90 serum.*

Here’s what: I think the best skin comes from keeping things simple. Go easy on the makeup; take it all off at the end of every day; exfoliate often; moisturize more than you think you need to; and be generous with the SPF. Some vitamin C, antioxidants, and collagen-boosting peptides can’t hurt, either.

My mother, who has beautiful skin with nary a wrinkle — genetics, be kind to me — has probably tried every skin care product available to [wo]man, and she recommended that I use Philosophy. I always associated them with delicious-smelling body washes and delicate perfumes, but they know what they’re doing with skin care. I bought the Philosophy ‘Radiant & Refined’ kit and The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash on that Ulta trip, and now they’re staples in my every day routine.

AM:

1.) Exfoliate with The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (usually in the shower.)
2.) Follow up with When Hope is Not Enough Firming and Lifting Serum.
3.) Apply Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue to entire face and neck for color correction, sun protection, and all-day hydration. It’s like three products in one!
4.) Lather up any exposed skin — chest, arms, hands — with La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk. I recently bought a tube to keep in my tote bag for reapplication when I’m out running flower deliveries.

PM:

1.) Cleanse skin with Philosophy Purity One-Step Cleanser or Kari Gran cleansing oil. Both are excellent makeup removers, and make quick work of eye makeup.
2.) Follow up with When Hope is Not Enough Firming and Lifting Serum.
3.) Moisturize with Philosophy Hope In a Jar.
4.) Apply Kari Gran lip whip to lips for overnight hydration.

Once a week, I use Simone France’s Complexion Perfection Mask to deep clean my pores, and every now and then I use my Clarisonic Mia with the Purity cleanser for extra exfoliation. Oh, and I’m working on drinking a lot more water and balancing my diet because really beautiful skin comes from the inside out.

I’m about two months into my new “30 year old” routine, and here’s what I’ve noticed: my skin is really soft and balanced (not too dry, not too greasy); my skin tone is even with minimal redness; and my occasional breakouts heal pretty quickly. All good!

1. Oh, yes — Philosophy really is the best! <3 Great post!

Posted 5.27.15 Reply
  2. Brenda carlisle wrote:

I am almost 65 years old. Looking for something to help with wrinkles in my neck and fine lines in my face. Will thesr products helo?

Posted 5.5.15 Reply
  3. Please stop.you want to really help seen free

Posted 4.10.15 Reply
  4. Daryl Heslop wrote:

I just thank God that I’m a Man, I don’t have to look pretty, thankfully!

Posted 4.10.15 Reply
  5. thailey1 wrote:

purity is my favorite! been using it since i could remember. can’t wait to try these other products!

Posted 3.26.15 Reply
  6. I dare you to try out Perfectly Posh’s product line! We have a ton of affordable, cruelty-free, naturally-based options that will knock your socks off.

Posted 3.18.15 Reply
  7. What a great write up! Thank you for sharing your tips :)

Posted 3.12.15 Reply
  8. 20dj10 wrote:

Thanks for sharing such a helpful post. I just turned 30 in January so will be looking myself to a skin regiment. I totally cannot go all out in cost being a stay at home mom and have never had a skin care regiment before but now into the thirties and as ppl say everything starts going down hill so would like to prolong wrinkles as long as possible lol thanks again I will keep an eye out for these products :-)

Posted 3.7.15 Reply
  9. Stephanie wrote:

Thanks for the post! My skin took a double dose of aging after turning 30 and having a baby at the same time. I’ve noticed way more fine lines and dryness, especially around my eyes. I’ll have to check out the Philosophy line.

Posted 3.5.15 Reply
  10. Now I really want that Philosophy kit!

Posted 3.5.15 Reply
  11. Gold Labl wrote:

I swear by Philosophy stuff! I need to buy more of the Microderm Delivery wash and my Purity is almost out. I love Hope in a Jar as well. All of their product do exactly what they say will. Great post! I’m only 24 but I heard 30 is the new 20 so you’re all good ;) v

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  12. carlacram wrote:

I’m 31 and find that simple is best for me. I need a lot more moisture so I use a very simple moisturiser recommended by the pharmacist/chemist.

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  13. Have you heard of the hope in a jar dupe? St Ives has a time rewind cream that’s only $5 and comes pretty darn close! I’ve heard so many rave reviews about hope in a jar, I still can’t bring myself to fork up the cash. I will however, continue sample it each and every time I pass through Sephora. I’d love for you to share post at my weekly link up on Tuesdays!

Xoxo K

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
    • Gold Labl wrote:

I’m glad I saw your comment; I like St.Ives too and I think I’m going to give it a try though I do love Hope in a Jar

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
    • Have you tried the St. Ives cream?

Posted 3.5.15 Reply
  14. Great tips! I love it :)

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  15. Love the La Roche-Posay line-up – their sunscreen is great and goes on so smoothly, and it moisturizes. This little proverb has been so applicable lately – “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is NOW.” I try not to freak out about my time spent in the water in Florida, but I CAN do something about it now. Sounds like you really love the Philosophy line – I haven’t tried their skincare – only the “Amazing Grace” line of fragrances. I will have to scope it out! ;-)

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  16. I’m turning 30 soon and I could totally relate to your shopping experience! Clarisonic Mia, though, is supposed to be for daily cleansing rather than exfoliation I believe. Unless you put exfoliating scrub on it, obviously… I recently moved to Europe and had the worst breakouts of my life! I am not a self conscious person but this time I did not want to leave the house. :( Over two months of diligent care, it seems to have gotten better but I can’t wait til I have my old face back! Anyway. This was a great post. I will give Philosophy products a shot once I run out of all the products I’m using. :D

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  17. A. Renee wrote:

Great post! I’m just reaching the big 3 – 0, but I’ve taken skincare seriously since high school. My mother always said, start early and look great later. Most people think I’m a good 10 years younger than what I really am. I totally vouch for the importance of early skincare measures. Though, within the past few years I’ve taken to creating my own natural products used in unison with store bought favorites for my skincare routine. However, after reading this, I have to admit I’m interested in trying the Firming and Lifting Serum.

Posted 3.4.15 Reply
  18. Erin E. wrote:

I’m in my late 20s and thought that all my skin care problems would have gone away by now, but I feel like my skin is just as finicky now as it was in my teens. I’m still finding out what works for me (the Kari Gran regimen has done wonders) and what I need in terms of anti-aging care. I’ve found so many great product from your beauty posts – keep ’em coming!

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  19. I wish philosophy worked for me—I’ve tried those products for weeks on end and no cigar. But I swear by all if La Roche Posay—use that for sun protection too! :)

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  20. Eseeri wrote:

I’m nearing my 30s and am in the process of figuring out a new skin care regime. Thanks for the post!

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  21. itsmelori wrote:

It’s funny how noticeable it was that my skin needed extra “maintenance” as soon as I turned 30, to continue feeling as healthy as it did in my 20s and when I was younger. Personally I’ve had to get way more serious with my moisturizer and night creams!

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  22. Carolina E. wrote:

Great Information!!
    Thanks

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  23. shizknit wrote:

Great post! I love Philosophy skin care. The serum is pricey but my skin would never be the same. Still going to use it until I get an economical equivalent. I would use Hope in a Jar more but it makes my face feel greasy so I only get travel sizes for just the winter. Sometimes just using the serum keeps my skin looking radiant.

Posted 3.3.15 Reply
  24. I think Purity is such a good brand in general for all ages. I am really glad that you found these products worked well at your age! Now I know what I can use when I get to be 30 (hopefully these will work when I am 50).

Posted 3.3.15 Reply

@keiralennox

• The only thing that would’ve made this @bonappetitmag ‘white pesto pasta’ better is if @lallimusic was in my kitchen when I made it. (I re-watched her video as I prepped, which was the next best thing.) Guys, I cannot overstate the seriousness of my obsession with the @bonappetitmag YouTube channel. Most of my bookmarks on my phone are videos of recipes I want to try, and I’m slowly making my way through ‘em; kind of like ‘Julie & Julia’ but with fewer live lobsters and a little less butter.
#pastagram #bonappetit #carbcoma
  • Spotted this pretty blooming bush on our evening walk through the neighborhood.
Doak got a little *too* close to the smell the flowers. 🤣
  • In today’s edition of #sundaybaking, I took on @bonappetitmag’s ‘best chocolate chip cookies’. I watched the video first — if you’re not following the @bonappetitmag YouTube channel, get on it! — then used the recipe from BA’s website to guide me through it.
Crispy edges + a chewy center + brown butter + giant chunks of 70% dark chocolate = a pretty perfect cookie. 🍪
@moroccochris - I salute you.
#chocolatechipcookies #bonappetit
  • Clearance vase jackpot at @pier1 this weekend. There are so many great colors and textures in all shapes and sizes from $10-30 with an extra 25% off. ⁣
This was the ultimate test of self-control for me...⁣
I bought 5.
  • Saturday errand style f/ two #styleonabudget favorites from last summer that are still going strong: this gingham ruffle cami I found on a clearance rack at @target + a rattan circle bag I bought for around $25 on @amazon.
I’m killing the cost-per-wear game with these two. 😏 #whatiwore #ootd #summerstyle #stylefiles
  • 🍑