Filling the {Closet} Gaps

06/23/2015 24 Comments

Filling the {Closet} Gaps

06/23/2015 24 Comments

A Pretty Penny Pointy Toe Flats with Skinny Jeans Personal Style Kenneth Cole Dover Bucket Bag

Last week, while getting ready for a ‘business casual’ event, I realized there’s a problem with my closet…

It’s filled with casual work/weekend clothes, and cocktail dresses. There’s no middle ground.

Rewind to my days of corporate dress codes: I had outfits for every imaginable business occasion, but nothing to wear to a Sunday BBQ.

Shouldn’t I have this figured out by now?

My girlfriends have similar issues. Despite our best intentions to shop for well-rounded wardrobes, we tend to gravitate to clothes that offer the most mileage for our varying jobs and lifestyles. I find myself buying stacks of jeans and tees in every shape and color. My friend has a stockpile of pencil skirts and silk button-downs for her 9-5. Ask us to dress for something ‘dressy casual’ and our heads might explode.

So we, a.) panic when we’re invited to an event outside our wardrobe’s resources, and/or b.) buy something we’ll probably wear once for the occasion and forget.

I think there are a few key pieces that are missing from my closet that could go a long way in filling the gap between a day at the flower shop and a black tie gala:

Pencil Skirts & Trousers – I know, this is such a no-brainer, but after years of a strict corporate dress code (we’re talking pantyhose, peeps) I couldn’t wait to ditch my pencil skirts and Express Editor pants. I donated them several years ago and never looked back, but it’s time to bring them back into the fold. A simple black pencil skirt and a pair of high-rise trousers would really come in handy. I always loved my denim trousers from Express, and think I’ll order this pair.

Black Midi Skirt – There’s something so feminine and pretty about an A-line skirt in a slightly longer length, and you can dress it up or down with shoes and accessories. I don’t know how I’ve made it this long without one. I’d go for something like this ASOS midi skirt in scuba fabric.

‘Day Dresses’ – I can’t think of a better name for them, but I’m referring to the kinds of dresses you wear to a business networking event or Sunday brunch; not formal, not casual, but just right. I used to have them in spades, in every color and pattern, but they went the way of the trousers when I became self-employed. I’m thinking something solid and versatile, like this Tahari A-line dress.

• rainbowsandthunderclouds 08/22/2015 at 6:39 am

I Loved the shoes ! I’m new to blogging would you mind having a look ? Thank you E https://rainbowsandthunderclouds.wordpress.com

• beautynbling 07/14/2015 at 11:21 pm

I really liked your suggested item! 😍

• KompalSambyal 06/30/2015 at 1:01 pm

hey!..loved loved it..mind checking out my blog??..my first blog!..thanks so much :*

• prokath93 06/28/2015 at 4:26 pm

I’ve got the same problem. It’s either too casual or too formal. I can never get that perfect middle ground outfit.

• thefashionveggie 06/28/2015 at 10:53 am

Love this post! I have the opposite problem, I have so many dresses and only a few skirts or trousers. Maybe we should switch clothes from time to time, haha! ;) Great tips though!

The fashion veggie

• Lauren Rose 06/25/2015 at 6:50 pm

Love this post! Except, I have the opposite problem…waaaaay too many day dresses lol!

• leoni123456789 06/25/2015 at 1:47 pm

hey I nominated you for the beauty blogger award and I’m super excited to here your response! Here’s the link – https://teengirlparadise.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/beauty-blogger-award/

• onsundayafternoon 06/25/2015 at 12:16 pm

Have this problem myself, I have so many casual clothes and no professional attire.

• Carolina E. 06/24/2015 at 10:01 pm

I think you look nice in anything that you put on!!!

• TheTasteTracker 06/24/2015 at 5:52 pm

Great tips and awesome shoes(: xx

-Mikayla

• kcl106 06/24/2015 at 2:58 pm

This is the story of my life. I have a major gap in my wardrobe!

• beautynbling 07/14/2015 at 11:14 pm

YES!! No matter what I purchase, I always feel like there’s a clothing gap in my closet!!

• zoekinsella1234 06/24/2015 at 1:17 pm

this account is awesome. I like the fashion tips!
    im new to blogging so…
    please check out my blog!

• Amy's Fashion Blog 06/24/2015 at 8:58 am

good luck filling the holes in your closet.

• Creme de Boston 06/24/2015 at 8:52 am

Banana Republic also has some amazing work pants that aren’t too office-esque. I wear them all the time for work/play so I’d definitely check them out if you get a chance!

• asmaamin22 06/24/2015 at 8:02 am

this was great help as i recently started a volunteering program and was scared that I am out of clothes but seems like I am not!

• alexandriakrsytine 06/24/2015 at 1:22 am

such great ideas!

• AbsolutelyNancy 06/23/2015 at 9:12 pm

Same! I don’t have a strict dress-code for work, but I do have events from time to time that require fancier attire than jeans and that’s when I’m left scrambling to find something to wear. Great tips!

• sjaugustinsky 06/23/2015 at 8:30 pm

I have this problem constantly; too casual or too fancy! Love this post, so many great tips to pick up!

• makeupreverence 06/23/2015 at 5:27 pm

Reblogged this on Make-Up Reverence and commented:
    I’m having the same problem right now with a new need for trendy business attire. Anyone else?

• ladibekky 06/23/2015 at 5:25 pm

Reblogged this on queenofpeace2015.

• Radiant Review 06/23/2015 at 5:14 pm

Reblogged this on .

• emmaleuman 06/23/2015 at 4:48 pm

YES I have the same issue every day. After starting an internship I found that I have very few clothes that work in a “business” atmosphere. You’ve pointed me toward staples that I can add to my wardrobe. Thanks for the great post!

• chuydroapdead 06/23/2015 at 4:32 pm

it looks very attractive with a cocktail dress ..
    operating a business may add smoothly