The Quest For the Perfect Nude Lipstick

07/16/2015 39 Comments

The Quest For the Perfect Nude Lipstick

07/16/2015 39 Comments
Nude Lipstick

In my freshman year of high school, I was a decade ahead of the ‘nude lip’ trend. My favorite lipstick was a gift-with-purchase frosty champagne number from my mom. An older girl in my science class told me she loved the color, so I took that as encouragement to liberally apply that stuff every day.

The matte golden hue didn’t do my light olive skin any favors, especially since I wore it with an otherwise naked face. I hadn’t figured out the most important rule of makeup: Light lip, dramatic eye; dramatic eye, light lip.

Bless my heart.

15 years later, finding a flattering nude lip color is still a challenge. They either wash me out completely, don’t complement my skin tone, or go on chalky.

After a lot of purchase trail-and-error, here are my current favorites!

Butter London Lippy Tinted Balm in Teddy Boy – Medium coverage rosy nude with subtle lipstick finish.

Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick in Park Avenue Princess – Radiant bronze nude with a little shine and lots of moisture.

Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lip Cream in Nude Beach – Hydrating creamy nude peach.

L’Oreal Collection Privee Perfect Nudes – Beautiful budget-friendly range of moisturizing nudes for every skin tone; I like ‘Julianne’s Nude.’

Too Faced Perfect Lips Liner in Neutral Nude – The perfect base for all the above.

{Forever 21 ‘Lipstick’ Makeup Bag, $6.90}

• Juliany Diaz De Villegas 09/26/2015 at 2:19 pm

Honestly thank you for this post…I thought I was never going to be able to wear nude lipstick because I am so pale…Now I’m considering buying one in the future.

• Indi 08/13/2015 at 7:17 pm

I’ve tried the TooFaced lipstick and the texture is amazing but the color doesn’t suite my skin tone! thank you for the other ideas! oh and this makeup bag looks gorgeous!

• Racheal J Hoelle 08/10/2015 at 6:34 pm

I love that this is something you posted because the color of your lips is everything!

• nestnorthwest 07/26/2015 at 11:29 pm

I like lots of the subtle Mary Kay glosses for a nude look. They are as thick and sticky as clinique which I do also use. PS…I don’t sell MK:)

• sarraeller18 07/26/2015 at 1:16 am

Recently I have been loving nude lips as well. I recently bought the Tarte park ave princess and I love it!

• jenniferlee01 07/21/2015 at 8:25 pm

i love your blog!! it’s inspiring :) do you mind taking a look at mine? thanks!

• exquisitebuhle 07/21/2015 at 3:22 am

Nude lips work perfectly especially for work.They just create that natural look and are just perfect for make up beginners too.It takes a bold someone to experiment with make up .

• The Nadia M. 07/21/2015 at 1:29 am

Try NYX products! I’m in a craze over their Matte lipsticks and lip liners! Ulta usually has bogo 1/2 off of them PLUS you can use thier coupons towards them!

• Carolina E. 07/18/2015 at 8:04 pm

Have to try the nude color out ,thanks for info!!

• fbigred 07/18/2015 at 2:06 am

I’ve always had the worst time trying to find a nude lipstick to go with my ghostly complexion, thank you so much for the links, I will have to try them out!

• WhiskeyWeather 07/17/2015 at 8:33 pm

I love the Park Ave princess :)

• […] and I am thinking of trying the L’Oreal from a drugstore as it was brought to my attention here. Back to NYX, this goes on so smooth like a lip gloss but it’s an actual lip-stick which I […]

• Jackie Yeary 07/17/2015 at 9:39 am

Oh man! I totally feel your pain when it comes to finding the right nude shade. I typically need a shade with at least a little pink- otherwise I look sick. Clinique “Sweet Honey” has been my favorite for years, but I also just discovered Marc Jacobs “Eat Cake” and I’m in love.

Love your picks!

• Kayla Draper 07/17/2015 at 9:30 am

I love the Tarte one! It is definitely on my list of things to get! Great post!

• kfwilliams2015 07/17/2015 at 4:53 am

Yay! Thanks for this :D Nude lipsticks are my absolute favourite! I am so terrible with all the beauty, makeup, girl stuff… So a helping hand is always appreciated!!! I have been using a Rimmel one that I like quite a lot but I will definitely be checking out the ones you have recommended :)

• Catherine 07/16/2015 at 6:53 pm

Nice post! My skin is so pasty white that it’s really difficult to find a great nude shade. I’m going to check out the Two Faced! Lately my nude of choice has been chapstick….I actually had a couple of glosses in my post today–about my naked face! http://atypical60.com/2015/07/16/whats-on-your-summer-face-mines-kinda-naked/

• ayshaaacx 07/16/2015 at 5:37 pm

hey check out my blog https://ayshaaacx.wordpress.com

• DymondM 07/16/2015 at 5:02 pm

I hate that I can’t find a “nude” lip color because there aren’t many brown or darker toned lip colors geared towards WOCs. :/

• lindseeanne1 07/16/2015 at 4:53 pm

You can’t go wrong with a nude color! I nominated you for an award here! https://thegingerlife1.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/infinity-dreams-award/

• tessgalen 07/16/2015 at 4:21 pm

Wearing Butter London Teddy Boy right now! It’s my new favorite everyday color!

• quinnlashon 07/16/2015 at 4:12 pm

definitely trying out some of these. i love the nude lip look.

• Amber • Carolinian Explorer 07/16/2015 at 12:15 pm

Oooo I love all of these! Great post!

• Josephine 07/16/2015 at 12:02 pm

The perfect nude is really one of the hardest struggles!

• Red Velvet Snow Blog 07/16/2015 at 11:44 am

I have been on the hunt for the perfect nude!!! This post is exactly what I needed! redvelvetsnow.wordpress.com

• Pretty Petite Blog 07/16/2015 at 10:28 am

I love the Too Faced lip cream as well! Nude lips are always a good idea but complimenting them with the rest of your makeup is a must!

Xo
    Pauline

• cynvoy 07/16/2015 at 10:25 am

I have olive skin too and struggle with this. Can’t wait to try the L’Oreal!
    felizcyntia.com

• mrskatylong 07/16/2015 at 9:57 am

Lovely! These are gorgeous products – great post!

• Liz 07/16/2015 at 9:49 am

I can never have too many nude lip products. Excellent spread!

• Amy's Fashion Blog 07/16/2015 at 9:41 am

so will have to try these out

• The Model Well Fed 07/16/2015 at 9:22 am

Love a good nude! Looking forward to trying Tarte’s! The world needs to know the dos and don’ts of nude as it is a tricky color…next post idea perhaps :)

• sophandglory 07/16/2015 at 3:17 pm

I love that! Have you tried the new rimmel Kate moss nudes there amazing!!x

• Keira Lennox 07/16/2015 at 7:12 pm

I haven’t! I really like Rimmel’s lipsticks; they make one of my all-time favorite reds. I’ll check them out!

• Keira Lennox 07/16/2015 at 7:11 pm

Good idea! I’ll work on it.

• as gold as it gets 07/16/2015 at 9:16 am

I love a good nude lip! I have been wearing Revlon super Lustrous in Primrose – its pinky but wears like a nude. You might want to try it if you are looking for a drugstore cheapie!

• sophandglory 07/16/2015 at 3:18 pm

I love that! Have you tried the new rimmel Kate moss nudes! There amazing xx

• Hillary 07/16/2015 at 9:09 am

I absolutely love all of it! I almost purchased that makeup bag the other day… I mayyyyyy have to run over to the mall at lunchtime! (It’s bad…. it’s about a quarter 1/2 a mile from my office!!) -H