Multigrain Banana Nut Waffles

10/26/2015 15 Comments

Multigrain Banana Nut Waffles

10/26/2015 15 Comments
Multigrain Banana Nut Waffles Recipe, Healthy Waffles, Easy Breakfast Recipes, Multigrain Pancakes and Waffles
{Erin Hanson Want vs. Need }

Waffles and pancakes are my weekend breakfast weakness, y’all.

They aren’t exactly celebrated for their nutritional value; most are filled with sugar, fat, and empty calories. Delicious, but let’s be honest: not an ideal way to start the day. We recently bought a $30 belgian waffle iron so I could experiment with healthy — while still yummy — alternatives to my beloved diner pancakes. I’ve already used it about a dozen times!

Sunday morning, I made a batch of banana nut waffles with my favorite multigrain mix. These nutritious waffles are sweetened with honey, and have a sneaky serving of ground flaxseed for fiber, omega-3, and cholesterol-lowering ‘good’ fat.

Half of this recipe is plenty for C and me, but I like to make extra waffles to freeze for quick pop-in-the-toaster breakfasts during the week.

These are extra-good with a thin spread of natural peanut butter or almond butter when they’re hot out of the iron. I warm a tablespoon or two of real maple syrup in a ceramic ramekin in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, and serve it on the side for dipping.

They were so delicious, I inhaled them before I remembered to photograph them for this post!

Multigrain Banana Nut Waffles

• Servings: 6-8 large waffles
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:

• 2 cups Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake & Waffle Mix
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbs canola oil
  • 2 tbs honey
  • 4 heaping tbs ground flaxseed
  • 1 1/2 cup milk of your choice
  • splash of pure vanilla extract
  • 1-2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • about 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:

1. Combine the first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir, just until lumps disappear. 2. Fold the mashed banana and nuts into the batter. 3. Pour the batter into a hot waffle iron, about a 1/2 cup per waffle, for 3-5 minutes until browned and cooked through.

• Dianna 10/30/2015 at 10:22 pm

trying it out quick but of course i don’t need to almost every meal i eat is vegan or just insanley healthy (except for idk halloween)

• PurdyHauteMess 10/28/2015 at 5:59 am

I can’t wait to try these!

• getdressedmommy 10/28/2015 at 2:29 am

I can’t wait to try these. Thank so much for including that print button. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and because I could, I just printed it and popped it in my purse!

• clara 10/27/2015 at 5:06 pm

This is such a cool idea!!

• The Ambition Buzz by Debbie Nicholls 10/27/2015 at 9:44 am

Oooh these sound good!

• attemptingeffortless 10/27/2015 at 5:24 am

Yum! These sound amazing! Also, that photo at the top is too true!

• Kooky Chic 10/26/2015 at 7:34 pm

We’ve never tried them but will now. Delicious

• pingieslife 10/26/2015 at 5:41 pm

Lov how you combine likes to healthy

• Carolina E. 10/26/2015 at 1:08 pm

Have to try this recipe ,we love pancakes !!!

• anxiouseating 10/26/2015 at 12:47 pm

I need to try this. Thanks for sharing!

• Shopaholibond 10/26/2015 at 12:33 pm

Im definitely trying this one on the weekend..Looks Yum :)
    Do checkout my blog http://www.shopaholibond.wordpress.com for my latest post. Would be glad to read your feedbacks :)

• Julia @ South by Northwest 10/26/2015 at 12:10 pm

These sound deliciously nutty with the addition of that flaxseed

• mommyteacherfashionista 10/26/2015 at 10:26 am

Great recipe !

• jamiegrady27 10/26/2015 at 10:05 am

These sound delicious! I agree- nothing better than a waffle/pancake breakfast on the weekend :)