‘Play!’ by Sephora Summer Beauty Box

07/20/2016 21 Comments
Play by Sephora Beauty Box Summer July 2016 | keiralennox.com

‘Play!’ by Sephora Summer Beauty Box

07/20/2016 21 Comments

I gave up my Birchbox subscription years ago; after a while the samples became a little monotonous and underwhelming, and I never got on board with any of the other monthly beauty boxes that popped up in the market.

Until I found out about Sephora’s Play! subscription beauty box, and then I was like, “ermahgerdtake my money!!”

For $10/month, you get five deluxe product samples (think small travel size) with a fragrance bonus, a cute “collectible” bag, plenty of useful tips and tricks, and access to one-on-one tutorials in your local store.

I got my first box in the mail yesterday, and just as I expected, it did not disappoint.

This month’s theme is “effortless,” which is right up my street.

Here’s a rundown:

I’m most excited to try the Ouai Wave Spray from celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin’s new product line. I’ve seen a lot about the brand lately but it isn’t carried in my local Sephora. Ouai is all about a “streamlined selection of easy-to-use hair care for that cool-girl look.” Yes, please. I love a good beach spray, and this one smells delicious with notes of Italian lemon, amber and white musk.  I’ll update you after a few weeks of use.

The full-size Beauty Blender blotterazzi retails for $20, so that alone more than paid for this month’s subscription price. A fellow beauty junkie friend mentioned that she loved hers, so I’m happy to add this to my makeup bag. It’s basically a big flat beauty blender that you can use to blot oil and shine without disturbing your makeup. You can wash it and reuse it again and again (and bonus: no greasy blotting papers smooshed in the bottom of your purse).

I can’t get enough bronzer lately — it’s become a staple in my daily makeup routine — and Too Faced usually has really good ones. The Soleil Matte Bronzer in Chocolate contains real cocoa powder so it smells like a chocolate bar [not mad at it] and from a quick swatch on my arm, it seems to have a buildable natural finish without any orange tones or shimmer. Seems promising!

A great primer is a girl’s best friend in the summertime, and while I’m loving my Make Up For Ever smoothing primer right now, I’m curious how the Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer will hold up through the heat and humidity. A lot of people rave about Smashbox primers, so we’ll see.

I’m ridiculously picky about facial cleansers, and usually steer away from anything that foams or lathers (I love a good cleansing balm) but I gave the First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay a try last night. Although it did leave my skin a little tight, it seemed really clean, which feels good after a long hot day wearing makeup and sunscreen.

Finally, I like that the Sephora box includes a perfume as a bonus in addition to the five product samples. This month’s fragrance is Nest’s Citrine, which may be just a bit too sweetly floral for me, but I’ll pass it along to someone else to try.

• […] getting stuff in the mail. From Book of the Month to Sephora’s monthly sample Play! box, I’m happy to shell out a $10-15 monthly fee in exchange for fun surprises at my doorstep. I […]

• […] got a sample of Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Eye Lifting Balm in a Sephora Play Box, and loved it so much I bought the full size. It’s expensive, but I use a small drop for […]

• […] months into my Play! by Sephora beauty box subscription, and I thought I would do an update on my introductory post to let you guys know how it’s going, and whether it’s worth 10 bucks a […]

• jeess1007 07/22/2016 at 3:30 am

yaaaaaas thanks soosooso much. I dont know how i didnt know about this about OH MY GOD SO EXCITED. thank god for your post Love it !!!!!

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 8:57 am

Haha, this was my EXACT reaction when I found out about it! 😉

• terra love/nothing/more 07/21/2016 at 9:04 pm

ermahgerd, take my money!!

hahahaha! STAHP!

this beauty box sounds really good. I felt the same about birchbox. so i’m especially curious now!

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 8:59 am

I think you’d love it. It’s kind of like Birchbox’s sophisticated older sister. 😉

• CJ 07/21/2016 at 6:26 pm

I really want to try the beauty products that you posted ,sounds great !!

• AlifyaLifestyle 07/21/2016 at 3:30 pm

These look so lovley!! :)

• sofiacollins 07/21/2016 at 2:14 pm

Ahhh, I wish I hadn’t missed my opportunity when I got my email that I was at the top of the waiting list. I can’t wait for my name to come up again!

• shannonhennessy 07/21/2016 at 12:57 pm

I recently subscribed for the Play! box and love my first box! I got the other variation with the Dew the Hoola, etc. but adore the Ouai Wave Spray as well. Can’t wait for the next one!

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 9:00 am

It’s so good, right?! I was so impressed!

• Silex in the City 07/21/2016 at 10:14 am

I love that smashbox primer. I’ll have to look into this subscription.

• baublesandknots 07/21/2016 at 12:20 am

Ermahgahd, why didn’t I know about this!? There was probably an email, but sometimes I don’t open them if I know I shouldn’t be spending at the moment. I’ve never tried a beauty box, but this may be the game changer.

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 9:08 am

Girl, I know, I delete 80% of those emails. I found out about it from one of the beauty vloggers I follow on YouTube!

• ClassicMaggie 07/20/2016 at 10:08 pm

I have the Blotterazi and I’m kind of meh about it – I find a blotting sheet works way better. Hopefully it works better for you!

What a fantastic box this month! The Two Faced bronzer is amazing and it’ll last you forever!

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 9:09 am

I’m excited to give that bronzer a try. Does it make you crave chocolate all day? That’s my only concern. Ha! 😉

• ClassicMaggie 07/28/2016 at 1:10 am

Kinda but it’s pretty much worth it – it makes me happy to use it in the morning.

• Lidia 07/20/2016 at 7:54 pm

You have to try the regular face wash by First Aid. It cleanses so well and it’s not drying at all! I’ve repurchased it SO many times (and I’m someone who usually doesn’t repurchase items because I want to try something new).

I’m normally not a fan of beauty boxes but this one actually seems really tempting!

• Keira Lennox 07/22/2016 at 9:10 am

Thank you for the recommendation, Lidia! I’ll give that other cleanser a try; I feel like I really need a gentle daily deep-clean in the summer. Do you know what it’s called?