A good under eye concealer is an essential in my makeup stash these days (see: my tips for camouflaging dark circles). Since I’m all about fuss-free makeup, I look for concealer formulas that blend easily into the skin, brighten and minimize discoloration, and stay put throughout the day without touch-ups. Bonus points if they provide some extra non-cosmetic benefits, like sun protection or skin care ingredients.
With that checklist in mind, here are my favorite 5 concealers to use around my eyes. With the exception of #1, these great formulas can also be used to spot-conceal and highlight anywhere on the face.
1. To instantly brighten and erase darkness and blue/purple tones on minimal makeup days: Pixi Correction Concentrate. This peachy pigmented cream immediately melts onto skin, blurs imperfections, and neutralizes darkness. Unlike other color correcting formulas, the peach tone is undetectable on the skin, so you can use it alone, or as a base for another concealer if you need extra coverage. It really is a “good night’s sleep in a jar.”
2. To conceal imperfections and guard the eye area with SPF 20: bareMinerals Correcting Concealer. I love a multi-tasker! This creamy formula gives natural-looking medium to full coverage, and protects the delicate eye area with mineral broad spectrum SPF 20. This is my favorite to carry in my makeup bag, because you can quickly swipe it on and blend it out with a fingertip. (Side tip: I keep individually-wrapped antibacterial wipes stocked in my handbag at all times, and they’re perfect for disinfecting your hands before you dip into a potted product like this on-the-go.)
3. For everyday weightless, invisible coverage: Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer. The lightweight liquid sets quickly and disappears into the skin for a natural demi-matte finish. The formula contains a mix of peptides and antioxidants for some skin care benefits, too.
4. When you need long-wearing full coverage: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. This highly pigmented formula dries to a light-diffusing, satin-matte finish that easily hides dark circles, and contains a blend of antioxidants for hydration and free radical protection. It’s easy to customize coverage with this concealer: buff a little into the skin with your fingertips to sheer it out, or pile it on with the doe-foot applicator and blend it in with a sponge or brush for full coverage. Side tip: you can also apply it to your lips as a neutralizing base to make bold lip colors more vibrant.
5. The best option on a budget: Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer. The light-coverage gel formula is packaged in a click pen for easy application. It does an impressive job evening out discoloration, and adds radiance to the under eye without looking shimmery or shiny.
This $3 tapered brush is my favorite for buffing in liquid and cream concealers: it’s soft and fluffy for easy blending, fits into the contours around the eye area perfectly, and deposits just enough product for a smooth and natural finish. My other go-to concealer tool: a good ol’ beautyblender. (Or this drugstore sponge alternative.)
To prevent creasing and make my under eye concealer last all day, I always set it with a powder. I have two picks for the job that never look chalky, dry, or cakey: this illuminating finishing powder is like the pretty Snapchat filter IRL, and this baked mineral powder sets to a natural-satin finish that looks like perfect healthy skin.