6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings

01/19/2017 33 Comments
6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings, Chameleon Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate

6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings

01/19/2017 33 Comments

I shared some helpful habits for non-morning people back in 2015, and my quest to conquer the start of the day is still a work-in-progress. Truth be told: I’m a mess in the morning. I love to squeeze in as much sleep as I can manage — every minute counts! — before I absolutely have to throw myself out of bed, so I’m always looking for shortcuts to shave precious time off my morning routine.

Here are 6 of my favorites:

Make a Designated Drop Spot :: There’s nothing more maddening than a frazzled keys/phone search when you’re already running behind in the morning. I have a small console table in the foyer with a basket to drop my keys and sunglasses in as soon as I walk in the door, and before I go to bed, I stack anything that needs to leave the house with me next to it: my phone, to-do lists, scrawled reminder notes, library books to return, etc.

Plan Your Outfits For the Week :: If you struggle with figuring out what to wear in the morning, try to pull a week’s worth of outfits together on Sunday evening. Iron them, and hang them in a designated place in your closet so they’re ready to go. It’s one less thing to stress about in the morning, and helps keep your closet tidy and organized without those panicked “I have nothing to wear!” tornadoes ripping through it.

Use Bags Within Your Bag :: I love zip-top pouches. I use them to organize all my “essentials” in my bag, and can switch them from handbag to handbag in a snap if I decide to make a quick change in the morning. This BAGGU leather design is my favorite. It’s large enough to double as clutch; I keep it in my everyday tote bag and toss all my stuff in it if I have plans after work.  I also use a clutch wallet that’s big enough to hold my phone, car key, and favorite lipstick so I can ditch the rest of my handbag if I want to travel light.

Pack a Lunch the Night Before :: I’m trying to get in the habit of bringing a healthy lunch and snacks to work so I don’t dip into our stash of leftover Halloween candy to make it through the day. I find I’m most successful with meal prep if I do it the night before: packing up dinner leftovers; making a big salad with mixed fruit, nuts and goat cheese; or rolling up lean lunch meat with cheese and fresh sliced fruit. These stackable glass containers with snap-on lids are my favorite for the job because they’re durable, reusable, and easy to clean. I put my lunch bag next to my purse when I’m finished so I don’t forget to grab what I packed in the fridge before I run out the door.

Be Your Own Barista :: Last year I discovered cold brew coffee concentrate, and my life will never be the same. I’m hooked on this unsweetened mocha brew: I pour it into an insulated thermal tumbler over lots of ice, then fill it up with water and/or milk and go. (A caveat: take the time to measure it out; it’s concentrated and has a lot of caffeine, so it’s easy to overdo it and end up with the jitters through lunch.) Corkcicle tumblers come in a fun range of colors, and keep ice frozen for more than 9 hours; I have a few in rotation and never leave home without one.

Have Cookies For Breakfast :: I found this recipe for healthy breakfast cookies last year, and they’re a hit with my husband and the flower shop team. I like to make a big batch on the weekend to have on hand for easy grab-and-go breakfasts throughout the week, and customize them with different nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate. They’re packed with protein and whole grain oats for sustained energy, and pair perfectly with DIY iced coffee.

What are your favorite morning shortcuts? (Seriously, please share them; I need all the help I can get.)

• […] my face in the shower for years in an attempt to shave some time off my AM routine. (We all know how I feel about mornings.) My face was always bright red and tight/itchy afterward, which should’ve been a sign to quit […]

• […] my face in the shower for years in an attempt to shave some time off my AM routine. (We all know how I feel about mornings.) My face was always bright red and tight/itchy afterward, which should’ve been a sign to […]

• readbyvanessa 05/14/2017 at 8:00 am

Great tips!

• […] of morning aptitude is well-documented in this blog. See: helpful habits for non-morning people and 6 shortcuts for easier mornings. On the days that I oversleep — there are so many, y’all — and give myself 20 […]

• In lumina 02/20/2017 at 12:29 pm

[…] via 6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings — Keira Lennox […]

• […] via 6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings — Keira Lennox […]

• daniella 01/22/2017 at 12:01 pm

Great tips! I love concentrated cold brew such a game changer for my morning coffee

• Isabelleblush 01/22/2017 at 5:42 am

Weekend cooking for simpler weeks is the best tip ever – I love this whole post

• littlejarblog 01/22/2017 at 3:56 am

I’m not a morning person myself. I live in the Philippines and would love to personalize and tweak these ideas a bit for my perusal ofcourse. Really big help! thank you.

• starrysky 01/20/2017 at 9:19 pm

These are great ideas! <3

• Britt 01/20/2017 at 6:30 pm

Planning outfits could save me so much time lol

And that coffee in the picture ive seen that before and have wanted to try it myself!

Going to follow you. Love your blogging style and would love to invite you to follow me on my blogging journey and make check out my new post?

Not easy to build a following and a flow of steady comments on post but im trying!😊

• www.californiacocktailcampers.com 01/19/2017 at 11:39 pm

Vivarin or a caffeine tablet in the morning works well too. 200mg of caffeine – same as a cup of joe without the coffee breath and diuresis! Great for an afternoon pick me up too. As always, Keira your posts are a bright spot in my day!
    thank you.

• Keira Lennox 01/20/2017 at 10:47 am

How have I never heard of this?! And your sweet comment made my day, thank you. ☺

• AnthonyBasil 01/19/2017 at 10:47 pm

This looks yummy!

• lilbitsoffashion 01/19/2017 at 9:47 pm

Great tips to help me get out of the house faster in the morning.
    Another breakfast idea is making hard boiled eggs while you do your hair/makeup. Then peel and take on the go.

• giginaturelle 01/19/2017 at 9:29 pm

Great post! The dropspot is so helpful for us too! And if it can’t fit on our (small) entry table, it has to be dealt with right away. Smoothies are also a hit in our house. I make a big batch in the morning, and pour some in a to-go cup for my husband to take to the office, and my son and I sip on the rest as we’re getting ready for the day :) Super easy and it gives us an extra nutritional boost in the morning!

• Keira Lennox 01/20/2017 at 10:20 am

I love the idea of keeping the console table organized and under control.

Also, I need to get back on board with morning smoothies! The Corkcicle tumblers are great for smoothies, too: they keep them iced cold and frozen for hours.

• Britt 01/20/2017 at 6:31 pm

Smoothies on the go! Good thinking. Might be good for my husband!

• Keira Lennox 01/21/2017 at 1:19 pm

They’re a great way to sneak in some veggies, too; I always throw a big handful of spinach in mine.

• Britt 01/21/2017 at 1:24 pm

Ooo good way to pack in more vitamins that way😁

• CJ 01/19/2017 at 7:17 pm

Always love your post ,great info!

• thewesternsydneygirl 01/19/2017 at 6:24 pm

I’m getting pretty good with my morning routine except for the making lunch the night before.
    I like your tip for the bag within a bag. It’s the worst feeling when you reach work only to realise you left essential in your other handbag.

Thanks for sharing!

• Keira Lennox 01/20/2017 at 10:17 am

It really is so handy! Free-with-purchase cosmetic bags are perfect for it.

• Silex in the City 01/19/2017 at 4:35 pm

Girl, I am even more of a fan of you now that I know you too are not a morning person. The snooze button is (unfortunately) my best friend. I love me some iced coffee (even in freezing STL temps) & will give that one a go. I always go with the unsweetened Starbucks cold brew (it’s on sale a lot on the cartwheel app). I’m definitely giving those cookies a go too!

• Daniela Soriano 01/19/2017 at 3:39 pm
  • ForkInPage 01/19/2017 at 3:08 pm

Well I mean, if you insist I have cookies for breakfast I must! … love that idea.
    and love the idea of making my own coffee.

• Keira Lennox 01/20/2017 at 10:16 am

Right?! They’re so yummy and really filling. I like to customize them with different mix-ins, like dried berries, nuts, and unsweetened shredded coconut. There are other breakfast cookie recipes on that website that are good, too!

• Kayla @ a paper arrow 01/19/2017 at 1:56 pm

I always plan my outfits out a week ahead, so I have no issues there. I also style my hair while I sleep so I don’t have to worry about really getting ready in the mornings!

• blondieandthebeat 01/19/2017 at 1:13 pm

These are great! I do almost all of them! Adult life is all about routine :)