6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings

6 Shortcuts For Easier Mornings, Chameleon Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate

I shared some helpful habits for non-morning people back in 2015, and my quest to conquer the start of the day is still a work-in-progress. Truth be told: I’m a mess in the morning. I love to squeeze in as much sleep as I can manage — every minute counts! — before I absolutely have to throw myself out of bed, so I’m always looking for shortcuts to shave precious time off my morning routine.

Here are 6 of my favorites:

Make a Designated Drop Spot :: There’s nothing more maddening than a frazzled keys/phone search when you’re already running behind in the morning. I have a small console table in the foyer with a basket to drop my keys and sunglasses in as soon as I walk in the door, and before I go to bed, I stack anything that needs to leave the house with me next to it: my phone, to-do lists, scrawled reminder notes, library books to return, etc.

Plan Your Outfits For the Week :: If you struggle with figuring out what to wear in the morning, try to pull a week’s worth of outfits together on Sunday evening. Iron them, and hang them in a designated place in your closet so they’re ready to go. It’s one less thing to stress about in the morning, and helps keep your closet tidy and organized without those panicked “I have nothing to wear!” tornadoes ripping through it.

Use Bags Within Your Bag :: I love zip-top pouches. I use them to organize all my “essentials” in my bag, and can switch them from handbag to handbag in a snap if I decide to make a quick change in the morning. This BAGGU leather design is my favorite. It’s large enough to double as clutch; I keep it in my everyday tote bag and toss all my stuff in it if I have plans after work.  I also use a clutch wallet that’s big enough to hold my phone, car key, and favorite lipstick so I can ditch the rest of my handbag if I want to travel light.

Pack a Lunch the Night Before :: I’m trying to get in the habit of bringing a healthy lunch and snacks to work so I don’t dip into our stash of leftover Halloween candy to make it through the day. I find I’m most successful with meal prep if I do it the night before: packing up dinner leftovers; making a big salad with mixed fruit, nuts and goat cheese; or rolling up lean lunch meat with cheese and fresh sliced fruit. These stackable glass containers with snap-on lids are my favorite for the job because they’re durable, reusable, and easy to clean. I put my lunch bag next to my purse when I’m finished so I don’t forget to grab what I packed in the fridge before I run out the door.

Be Your Own Barista :: Last year I discovered cold brew coffee concentrate, and my life will never be the same. I’m hooked on this unsweetened mocha brew: I pour it into an insulated thermal tumbler over lots of ice, then fill it up with water and/or milk and go. (A caveat: take the time to measure it out; it’s concentrated and has a lot of caffeine, so it’s easy to overdo it and end up with the jitters through lunch.) Corkcicle tumblers come in a fun range of colors, and keep ice frozen for more than 9 hours; I have a few in rotation and never leave home without one.

Have Cookies For Breakfast :: I found this recipe for healthy breakfast cookies last year, and they’re a hit with my husband and the flower shop team. I like to make a big batch on the weekend to have on hand for easy grab-and-go breakfasts throughout the week, and customize them with different nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate. They’re packed with protein and whole grain oats for sustained energy, and pair perfectly with DIY iced coffee.

What are your favorite morning shortcuts? (Seriously, please share them; I need all the help I can get.)

1. Great tips!

Posted 5.14.17 Reply
  2. daniella wrote:

Great tips! I love concentrated cold brew such a game changer for my morning coffee

Posted 1.22.17 Reply
  3. Weekend cooking for simpler weeks is the best tip ever – I love this whole post

Posted 1.22.17 Reply
  4. I’m not a morning person myself. I live in the Philippines and would love to personalize and tweak these ideas a bit for my perusal ofcourse. Really big help! thank you.

Posted 1.22.17 Reply
  5. starrysky wrote:

These are great ideas! <3

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
  6. Britt wrote:

Planning outfits could save me so much time lol

And that coffee in the picture ive seen that before and have wanted to try it myself!

Going to follow you. Love your blogging style and would love to invite you to follow me on my blogging journey and make check out my new post?

Not easy to build a following and a flow of steady comments on post but im trying!😊

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
  7. Vivarin or a caffeine tablet in the morning works well too. 200mg of caffeine – same as a cup of joe without the coffee breath and diuresis! Great for an afternoon pick me up too. As always, Keira your posts are a bright spot in my day!
    thank you.

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
    • How have I never heard of this?! And your sweet comment made my day, thank you. ☺

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
  8. This looks yummy!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  9. Great tips to help me get out of the house faster in the morning.
    Another breakfast idea is making hard boiled eggs while you do your hair/makeup. Then peel and take on the go.

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  10. Great post! The dropspot is so helpful for us too! And if it can’t fit on our (small) entry table, it has to be dealt with right away. Smoothies are also a hit in our house. I make a big batch in the morning, and pour some in a to-go cup for my husband to take to the office, and my son and I sip on the rest as we’re getting ready for the day :) Super easy and it gives us an extra nutritional boost in the morning!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
    • I love the idea of keeping the console table organized and under control.

Also, I need to get back on board with morning smoothies! The Corkcicle tumblers are great for smoothies, too: they keep them iced cold and frozen for hours.

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
    • Britt wrote:

Smoothies on the go! Good thinking. Might be good for my husband!

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
      • They’re a great way to sneak in some veggies, too; I always throw a big handful of spinach in mine.

Posted 1.21.17 Reply
        • Britt wrote:

Ooo good way to pack in more vitamins that way😁

Posted 1.21.17 Reply
  11. CJ wrote:

Always love your post ,great info!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  12. I’m getting pretty good with my morning routine except for the making lunch the night before.
    I like your tip for the bag within a bag. It’s the worst feeling when you reach work only to realise you left essential in your other handbag.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
    • It really is so handy! Free-with-purchase cosmetic bags are perfect for it.

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
  13. Girl, I am even more of a fan of you now that I know you too are not a morning person. The snooze button is (unfortunately) my best friend. I love me some iced coffee (even in freezing STL temps) & will give that one a go. I always go with the unsweetened Starbucks cold brew (it’s on sale a lot on the cartwheel app). I’m definitely giving those cookies a go too!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  14. Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  15. ForkInPage wrote:

Well I mean, if you insist I have cookies for breakfast I must! … love that idea.
    and love the idea of making my own coffee.

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
    • Right?! They’re so yummy and really filling. I like to customize them with different mix-ins, like dried berries, nuts, and unsweetened shredded coconut. There are other breakfast cookie recipes on that website that are good, too!

Posted 1.20.17 Reply
  16. I always plan my outfits out a week ahead, so I have no issues there. I also style my hair while I sleep so I don’t have to worry about really getting ready in the mornings!

Posted 1.19.17 Reply
  17. These are great! I do almost all of them! Adult life is all about routine :)

Posted 1.19.17 Reply